RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
I just want to know how to get the filtered water into my coach. Have no gravity fill.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fottip View Post
I don't disagree, and I don't think you're missing anything. I don't have a dog in the soft water hunt, I just have a hard time with misinformation about anything. It's where internet myths come from.

Let's be realistic - first, most people AREN'T on low sodium diets, and they eat and drink pretty much what they want to. The few who do have to limit their sodium intake can use potasium to soften their water - so much for excuses to avoid water softeners.

Quoting from the article I linked to in my other post (which most people won't read):

"So how much sodium is in your drinking water when you have a water softener? Typically, the sodium in a glass of soft water is less than the sodium in a slice of bread. It is considerably less sodium than is contained in Diet Pepsi (which is considered a low-sodium beverage). "

So there you have it - if we drink a glass of soft water, we ingest less sodium than a Diet Pepsi, and people get apoplectic over it? Seriously?
Salt, sodium, Na..... it doesn't matter to me what it is called, I don't like water treated with the salt ion exchangers.... makes me feel slimy in the shower, I just don't like it, simple as that.

The amazon gizmo does not remove anything, it claims it adds a polyphosphate to bind the minerals so they don't precipitate out and form scale. This is fine with me as I don't mind minerals in my water, I just do not like scale buildup on things that could potentially be costly to replace (eg aqua-hot)... and while a whole house RO system would be great and cure all the problems, an RO is just not in the cards for me at this time.

I have not tried one of those amazon gizmos before, but if it works to prevent scale buildup in my plumbing, is safe to consume, and doesn't make me feel slimy in the shower then I'm all for trying it.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
pump/filters

This is my rig up

External pump/sediment/charcoal filters

with quick connection for 12v pump

Good for low water pressures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3191.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	186706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	186707  

Colin Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I just want to know how to get the filtered water into my coach. Have no gravity fill.
Actually, aside from my excursions into related water quality issues, I thought people had addressed that. On the assumption that your coach is similar to most coaches, you have a water-inlet connection on it, and the expectation is that you will connect there to a source of water. Water filtration is placed on the pressure side of the system, not at the gravity fill point.

There are numerous options for RV water filtration that are placed between the source and the RV. Google is your friend. This isn't rocket science.

If your coach water inlet is not industry-standard, I didn't see that. Post those details, it not, so people can offer suggestions. If you did already, I missed it.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Salt, sodium, Na..... it doesn't matter to me what it is called, I don't like water treated with the salt ion exchangers.... makes me feel slimy in the shower, I just don't like it, simple as that.
OK, at least, we're past the bogus claim that water softeners "add salt", a common misconception. That was my issue.

The benefits of soft water over hard water, in terms of mineral deposits in laundry, fixtures, plumbing, et al, are well documented and indisputable, but if soft water is objectionable to you personally, that's fine. Good luck finding an equally-effective alternative.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #34

HWH? Hot Water Heater? I only have a water heater and it gets my water pretty hot. Don't need to heat it further....

F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I'm not sure what the problem is. With the hoses and fittings provided with the soft water/filter kit from Spanky's in Parker, water goes from the source through the two filters, then through the water softener, then into the water inlet of your coach. You then have the option of filling your fresh water tank or feeding it directly into your water system. When we dry camp, I fill the fresh water tank through the Spanky kit. We only drink from bottled water, so we have 90 gallons of soft water for showers, dishes and toilets. The plumbing really likes the soft water and no spotted glasses or shower glass. Without it, the water here is some of the worst quality anywhere. A slight drip at the park fauset will become a white mass of calcium buildup is a couple days.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water