Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #1

Thumbs up Ideas on Recovering the front seats

We have the typical Flexsteel seats in our DSDP done in Ultraleather. They are showing their age and so would like to re upholster both seats.
Rather than go with the so called Ultraleather, we are going to explore using a fabric on the centre seating section and Ultraleather for the rest of the seat.
We have found the Ultraleather is hot in the summer and feel a good fabric would be cooler.
Has anyone gone this route? If you have some pics, would be great. Looking for ideas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

Our friends from winnepeg left texas on their way home and stopped in joplin mo and bought replacement flexsteel front and coach seats for a very good price and put the old ones in back of pickup and gave them away when they got back to canada.
Rv salvage places are almost a better place than redoing existing...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
We have UltraLeather in our rig. Even on 100 degree days (which are relatively frequent) we do not find the material to be hot. Ours is now 18 years old and one chair is needing replacement soon.

Be sure to use the trademarked UltraLeather not one of the knock off brands.

Ultraleather? - Ultrafabrics
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our seats are ok, but the copilot seat is pealing in the front of the seat, we had it stained to match but it has not lasted.

I guess that section can be replaced.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Four years ago my wife and I (mostly her) recovered ours (along with all of the other furniture - all fabric covered) with Ultra Leather Plus. She also made arm covers for the arms. We didn't have wear on ours but a friend did so she made them just in case.

She used the old covers as patterns.
Her small sewing machine wouldn't hack it and after failing to find a new one where we were (Bouse AZ) or close to where we were, that could handle the job, I bought an old (1938) White sewing machine in a junk shop for $25 that did a great job. All metal - no plastic parts.

I bought a good heavy duty hand stapler, a set of hog ring pliers, and a couple of boxes of hog rings. A staple puller (looks like a bent flat blade screwdriver with a V in the blade) was very helpful.

I took pictures of the cable routing for the seat adjustments and that was a good idea.
The true Ultra Leather is made of polyurethane with a nylon backing. They claim that it is porous and more comfortable in both hot and cold temps than real leather.
Having experience with real leather in our Honda I would have to agree.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I am planning on having our two pilots chairs reupholstered with new Ultraleather. The co-pilots chair is the worst of the two as our 4 legged traveling partner loves to use that one when we are not on the road.

I also purchased two large Sheep Rens from IKEA to place on the seats when using them for travel. I store the RENS in the bed storage area beneath when not in use.

RENS Sheepskin - IKEA

They make a huge difference in softness for the butt during those days of travel regardless of whether it's hot or cold outside.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote