RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Oh gosh, did you hear that? It was the sound of a can of worms being opened.
LOL Definitely a can of worms. I'm glad I asked though.

I was raised doing that and I've personally had poor luck when I didn't run them. If I plan on using whatever vehicle then I don't worry about it but with everything else it seems that if I don't run it at least every couple of weeks during the off season I have loads of trouble the next season. I use Sta-Bil and Chemtool B12 in my tractor but even with that the first couple of starts for the year are hard. Once I started running it every couple of weeks it was fine. Same with my pickup and (before my daughter was hit in it destroying it) my Pruis. My Pruis I had to run every couple of days even if I didn't go anywhere or the system would die on it.

So I can run it all while plugged in but to be on the safe side I should unplug especially since we've just started finding the problems with it and they are so far bad problems like the fuel pump going out and the brake boosting system broken which made driving it home very scary because it didn't show until we were on the road 30 minutes into a 2 hour drive.

Learned something new too. I had no idea you could safely drive with things going like the ac. Heater too? Are you talking the propane heater? I thought propane needed to be shut off during transport. That would be awesome to be able to drive with the ac and heat on. Had I known that the drive home would have been so much nicer because the engine ac doesn't work and it was almost a hundred when we left the rv sales place. It's good to know but at the same time won't running the generator while driving to keep the air cooled/heated take more fuel?

Thank you everyone. I really do appreciate all of your comments.
Katie-N-Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #16

Shoot, we often drive with the propane furnace and the propane refrigerator on or the roof air conditioners running. We even cook meals in the crock pot while driving with or without the generator being on, and we have even run the washing machine/dryer while driving down the road! And unlike many others, I set the cruise control on, and I sit back and relax. No manually shifting gears up or down, no anticipating hills, no go down a hill in the same gear as going up stuff. I just let the engine/transmission/exhaust brake do its thing and I relax.

There isn't much you can't do while driving.

But what is important is doing what you feel safe in doing. If it bothers you, then don't do it. If it puts a smile on your face, then great, have at it.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #17

My opinion is of course run the genny under load at least once a month. No to starting the engine unless you need it. As far as starting the genny with it plugged in, I would unplug first. I know it is designed to auto transfer, but I dont like the big clunk it makes when you do it. I was always taught a machine will tell you what it doesnt like, and mine tells me it doesnt like me doing that. There really is no need to start the generator while plugged in except to exercise the genny. For once a month, I would just unplug it for a half hour to avoid the transfer switch taking the hit. Shut off any big draw appliances like air conditioners before plugging, unplugging or starting the generator. They dont like that either. The generator usually has a delay before powering up the units, but better safe than sorry.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #18

I'm in the drive it for 20 minutes crowd to get it hot enough to get rid of condensation, particularly in the exhaust system...you don't need that rusting out early from internal moisture.

Also, tires need to roll to move the chemicals around to help preserve the rubber and prevent cracking. It's a good idea to drive the rig once a month for 20-30 minutes. And while you are out doing that run the generator with a load, either the air conditioner or a small heater.

In addition, a drive will work the brake calipers and may stop them from seizing.

It's more than just the engine that benefits from being a monthly drive, makes me feel good too.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
I'm in the drive it for 20 minutes crowd to get it hot enough to get rid of condensation, particularly in the exhaust system...you don't need that rusting out early from internal moisture.

Also, tires need to roll to move the chemicals around to help preserve the rubber and prevent cracking. It's a good idea to drive the rig once a month for 20-30 minutes. And while you are out doing that run the generator with a load, either the air conditioner or a small heater.

In addition, a drive will work the brake calipers and may stop them from seizing.

It's more than just the engine that benefits from being a monthly drive, makes me feel good too.
I forgot about the exhaust system.
To the OP, ever seen water dripping out of the tailpipe? Wonder how it gets there, through the muffler.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #20

The reason you have problems with stuff that sits overwinter is the gas sitting in carbuerated engines. Although my Silverado with a carb will start I still have to put stabil in the tank or it runs like crap until it hacks up its hairball. My fuel injected Silverado and Colorado start up fine.

My lawnmowers get run dry the the carb bowl gets drained. Because the amount of gas is so little it just works better than using Stabil. Right now I need to go through the chainsaw carb because gas was left in it. We also use non ethanol gas but it wonít keep it from gumming up the float bowl over time.

As far as condensation dripping out the exhaust. Yep itís a thing. But, even if you run it weekly it will still be there because H2O Is a natural byproduct of combustion. Unless you get the exhaust hot enough it isnít going to burn off...and it will just create more. There is actually more H2O molecules created than CO2 in the combustion process. Given the length of the exhaust it needs a good run to clear out the water. I was camping every other week in the fall and water ran out of the exhaust every time it was started. There is no getting away from it.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #21

I have heard the rule of thumb that if you cannot drive it 25 miles, donít start it.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #22

I dont disagree on starting the engine if you are going to take it for a good drive. Just starting it, and letting it sit does very little to help the engine.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
I have heard the rule of thumb that if you cannot drive it 25 miles, donít start it.
Almost exactly what Cummings told me in writing, however it was 30 miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
Like Mr D said, Cummins says 30 miles. But it doesn't matter what the manufacturer says. Once a bit of "Misinformation" is stated here and repeated enough times, it becomes "Facts of the Internet" and outweighs what Cummins or any other company recommends.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:27 AM   #25
hrw

Machinery is like your body, needs excercise once in a while. That means up to temp, not just idling. I would never start something and not drive it, waste of time. As one of the previous posters mentioned, farm engines sit for long periods with no problems. I have no issues with starting the generator while plugged in. You need to know your switch is working as well.
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrw View Post
Machinery is like your body, needs excercise once in a while.

No, an engine is made up of steel, aluminum, rubber, plastic, and other inanimate items. They can sit for long periods of time without a second thought. For 30 years our irrigation engines sat out in all kinds of weather for eight months of a year without any seals drying up or parts falling off. Hook up a fresh battery, turn on the fuel and the were again running 24/7. sometimes for several weeks without stopping except for oil changes every 150-200 hours. The same with the combines and some tractors. Can you imagine someone staggering out in two feet of snow every 2-3 weeks to start up one of them. The neighbors would call the guys in the white suits to come pick them up.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
185 degrees water temp in an engine is the same at high idle or driving down the road. I sometimes have to move ours and driving around town is not an option. I have yet to pull the engine fill cap and see any condensation or that snot that accumulates on it from short running the engine. I do believe it's good to drive it every so often for the sake of the tires and most everything to get things moving. Just my opinion.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote