Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #43

Rationalizing the motorhome is easy; if it breaks, you can just coast to the side of the road. For airplanes or boats, the consequences can be more severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
I have owned airplanes and boats now the RV.
The RV has been the cheapest to keep compared to when I had to rent a boat slip.

The Planes were the most expensive.
I still have two sailboats but neither require a slip as the past ones did. So now they are the cheapest to keep.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 09:52 PM   #44

Hole in the dirt Enjoy spending every dollar on it and our Sportfisherman Can’t put value on fun
Old 01-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #45

Money pit LOL

Zzotte
Old 01-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #46

Land Yacht

I’ve owned several toys in my life and have affectionately referred to the motorhomes as “Land Yachts”. But it’s all in perspective. The money I spend on the Land Yacht is FAR less than the money I spend on my airplane (on a per hour basis of enjoyment). In fact, getting ready to have a new engine and prop put on the airplane....$45,000. Other than the down payment, I’ve never spent that much on my Land Yacht at one time. My financial planner (me) assured me that I have enough money to last the rest of my life...as long as I die tomorrow 😂😂😂
JJS707787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #47

I’ve owned 1 bass boat for 20 yrs. I just sold it since I’m not using it anymore. It was expensive to buy in 2000 new but, to buy a new bass boat today that is comparable would cost about 200% more. My boat was 100% composite and will last forever. Who ever bought walked away very happy.
I wish RVs would hold their value like my boat did. I’ve had 4 new RVs. The cost of upkeep to me isn’t terrible compared to paying taxes on a retirement home.
Lake front taxes in Finger Lakes area are thru the roof. Ocean front property taxes anywhere is crazy let alone hurricane insurance.
I rather pay upkeep of my RV than taxes.
I just spent time in Myrtle Beach, St. Augustine, and Hilton Head.
What ever the cost, it’s worth it for this old saying
“Home is where I park it”
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
What is an rv? Paradise on the road!
Dante might disagree, and certainly there some of us who find parts of the RV adventure to be from the other parts of The Divine Comedy: Purgatory or even Hell (who reserves a site in the 7th Circle, anyway!).

Old 01-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #49

Most entertaining! Didn't read every reply but I didn't see it mentioned that most RVs won't sink.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I've owned boats for at least 40 years. Normally a sailboat, but sometimes a ski boat. Or both, like now.

We used to refer to repairs in boat dollars. $1,000 = $1 boat dollar. Made the upgrades and repairs much more reasonable, if you throw reality away. "Only 2 boat dollars? Great! " Keeps my throwing arm in better shape.

With us getting ready to purchase our first DP (a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP), I'm thinking, for us, they are bus dollars, but might go with Tiffin dollars. (I'm NOT going to use Thor dollars!) I am thinking the exchange rate may have to go to $2,000 = $1 Tiffin.

Now what to call the RV. A place to throw your money into the wind?

An RV is a land yacht!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I've owned boats for at least 40 years. Normally a sailboat, but sometimes a ski boat. Or both, like now.

We used to refer to repairs in boat dollars. $1,000 = $1 boat dollar. Made the upgrades and repairs much more reasonable, if you throw reality away. "Only 2 boat dollars? Great! " Keeps my throwing arm in better shape.

With us getting ready to purchase our first DP (a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP), I'm thinking, for us, they are bus dollars, but might go with Tiffin dollars. (I'm NOT going to use Thor dollars!) I am thinking the exchange rate may have to go to $2,000 = $1 Tiffin.

Now what to call the RV. A place to throw your money into the wind?
A pothole in the road..., ,......
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
You will have an idea when you find out your black water tank leaks.

'nough said.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #53

It was said earlier that folks don't buy RV's to save money. Well, not true. I have a Hunting Retriever Champion Black Lab and take her to Hunt Tests all over the South, and I noticed that a lot of the time, the folks running the test allow RV's to boondock for free on the test site. So, I found me a used 2002 Trail Lite for $5K, in great shape and I love it. I tow it to the hunt test, park and don't have to get a hotel room for the weekend. I added Solar, batteries and Inverter/charger, and I am good to go. Some places have power and sewer, and they usually charge a small fee, usually $20. My RV does sit a lot, but I like it so much, I use it just to get out for a weekend often. So there....
brewbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #54

An RV is a larger and deeper hole to throw your money than a boat
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had boats and rv's together for about 30 years. I do most of my own own work on the rv but now I let the marina guy do most of the work on the boat. Like the slogan for the Rinker...."Time well spent since 1945". Both of them have always delivered great returns.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
I always put thing in terms of the cost of cigarettes. When it comes time to get another toy, I just think what I’d be spending if I did smoke. Unfortunately I’m probably up to 20 packs a day. Might have to start using doctor visits as a new measure.
I found a website a few years ago that showed the average cost of a pack of cigarettes by year. Taking my old average of 3 packs a day and totaling up the cost of the cigarettes I didn't buy since 1984 I found that my "cigarette money" easily paid for my RV with money left over for fuel and maintenance. And as a nice bonus I'm not dead....
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money, water