Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #57

and the money pump just churns...... often in high speed mode.. John
john foose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #58

I’ve owned all sorts of “powered vehicles” during my life, motocross race bikes, snowmobiles, street bikes, many high performance cars, trailers, travel trailers, boats and motorhomes including our current Tiffin DP. In my experience anything with any type of engine deprecates like nobody’s business and are a terrible use of money. However, we purchase these things because of the enjoyment they provide us and rarely if ever for any investment purpose. It always comes down to not spending more than you can afford to spend. If you stay within your comfortable budget then it will provide wonderful enjoyment. Spend more than you can afford to spend you will be miserable the entire time you own it. Spend wisely and just enjoy it. After all, nobody can take it with them as they say!
dvredc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #59

The OP's question was too easy. It's a sinkhole.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
Call it .....Parts On Wheels ....
If it can break or come loose it will
You can send 2 million on a RV or $ 100,000 it does not matter it will break. The worst part is no dealers are equipment or has the staff to repair these RV . You are left to return to the Mother Ship ....the manufacturer to get any repairs done properly.....

That’s the RV industry.....at least boats .....most marina,s can repair there products

[emoji15]
Well put! I own both. As the RV stores on our property its annual cost is below our tri cabin cruiser we berth under a marina's covered floating docks.

Over the decades I learned it is financially least intrusive to one's pocketbook to purchase really good condition older play toys... rather than new; or even almost new.

Matter of fact I usually break even or make just a bit when I sell our toys. Not counting the experienced maintenance, insurance, registration and storage costs.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #61

Living on a 20 sq mile island RVing was never an option during the years BC, before children, or DC, during children.

Weekends from 1981 we lived & breathed boating. Lucky us. We have some of the most spectacular boating water in the world. Summer water temps are in the 80s & even inshore water visibility is at least 10'. At 40 nights plus a year we got more time on our boats than most RVers do in CGs.

It was a blast. Great times overnight rafting up with friends every weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0092.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	575.9 KB
ID:	313770   Click image for larger version

Name:	0075.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	313771  

Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #62

A motorhome is just a boat on wheels.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #63

I am a boat lover and a prior Marina Manager...
Both RV DP's and Boats are expensive but fun. There are ways to mitigate the expense however. Since we have been camping I have given up the rack storage for my 272 Formula and trailered it. I have been a saver my entire life.

If you do all your maintenance yourself on boat and motorhome it can be reasonable to do both. If you are not mechanically enclined you could spend $10K per year on each.

My boat costs me about $2000/year based on $1500 in fuel with out short Michigan season.

My DP cost $2K befoer we rolled the fist mile in Plates/Insurance/storage/Maintenance.
I did all the work on both and that does not include breakage like the $3K turbo on the DP's Cummins last year.

You have to know your ability and your budget and decide what is right for you.
Both can be affordable if you are willing to provide a little extra effort.
avalanchediv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #64

I’m thinking another large pothole where your money can go...or, maybe a sink hole! Full time for ten years though and still doing it and loving it!
Barryengleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #65

Hattitude- You are exactly correct. I have my 100 ton license for boating, and have spent 1000's (literally 2000+) days on the water. I have RV'd for 35 years as well and currently own an 2004 HR Endeavor (38). A ski boat costs more than a camper, a 40' power or sailboat costs more than a 40 diesel pusher, and as you get into the 55-75' yachts- they are way more expensive than than 45 foot fully loaded RV's of similar vintage. The thing is- sloppy work on an RV gets you mad, but sloppy work on a boat gets you dead. So manufacturers are held to higher standards with boats and the costs associated with watercraft are accordingly higher. ...And then, of course, there's storage costs.
Tindalsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
Call it .....Parts On Wheels ....
If it can break or come loose it will
You can send 2 million on a RV or $ 100,000 it does not matter it will break. The worst part is no dealers are equipment or has the staff to repair these RV . You are left to return to the Mother Ship ....the manufacturer to get any repairs done properly.....

That’s the RV industry.....at least boats .....most marina,s can repair there products

[emoji15]
TVP You got that right. The minute you drive off the lot something is going to start rattling or break. Return to the lot and repair dept can't can't locate the source of the problem. However, if they did, they wouldn't have the parts and would have to order from the mother ship. Shhhh

2016 Vista 30T
TTFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #67

In the 70,s an 80,s I was the navigator on a 35' cigarette mistress offshore power boat.
You talk about money spent, time spent on engines, traveling,hotels, the worst was fuel! 225 gallons, did not last to long.
My canyon star toy hauler is a bargain!!!!
I miss it a little, very little. Just writing this, my bones ache!!!!!
hotrodbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #68

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
Well - I have heard RVs referred to as "Land Yachts" for a long time.

As for a $$ comparison to Boat dollars - at least RVs are not as totally complex as most boats. After all boats have water purifiers, anchors & chains, radar systems. fancy GPS navigation systems, often at least 2 engines, as well as a generator. Sailboats have a lot of sails, lines and winches to contend with. At least RVs are not subject to a constant attack by salt water, you can drive them to a repair shop, and you can spend you night in a Walmart parking lot - something boats can never do!
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our05Winneba View Post

and you can spend you night in a Walmart parking lot - something boats can never do!
Well, actually... Boats have an easier equivalent...

I've spent a couple days 60+ miles offshore, out on the fishing grounds here in SoCal..

All you have to do is throw out a sea anchor, set a watch, and you can spend the night anywhere....

Of course, I've never seen a big storm arise while parked in a Walmart that causes you to head home ASAP....
Old 01-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our05Winneba View Post
.........and you can spend you night in a Walmart parking lot - something boats can never do!

Well waking up here beats a Walmart parking lot any time... lol.
I avoid salt water with the boat. More affordable that way.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	313799
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money, water