Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

If not 50 AMPS, then 30 AMPS. But wait 1 hour!!

While reading the Owner's Manual ('06 Beaver) of a coach we are working towards buying I found this in the "Electrical" section:

"When Hooked to 50 Amps:
After verifying proper voltage, wait approximately
one minute for the inverter/charger to “stabilize”
charging of the batteries before starting air
conditioners or other large AC loads.

When Hooked to 30 Amps:
If 50 Amp service is not available, wait
approximately one hour before operating electric
appliances.
Use caution when operating appliances to
avoid overloading the supplied shore service breaker.
Operate appliances and outlets in sequence rather
than all at the same time."

What would the reasoning behind this be: "If 50 Amp service is not available, wait approximately one hour before operating electric appliances. "
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Because the converter is going to be loading the service getting the house batteries through initial bulk charging, and not leave enough left to handle AC or Microwave. Probably a it on the conservative side, but older systems did not feature sophisticated power management.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

I presume the inverter charger draws enough current (say up to 10 amps or so??) when charging the large coach batteries, added to five or more amps for lights and refrigerator, that adding 16 amps for a 15000 btu A/C might overload a 30 amp circuit. Everything on the big Beaver is probably high amperage, and perhaps is run by a big inverter while traveling and thus running down big batteries, so it needs some time to reduce charger amperage before running much else.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Your inverter probably can charge batteries at a rate of up to 100 amps which eats up a lot of capacity. As the inverter tapers off the battery charge, you will have more available amps to run other stuff. It might be possible for you to lower the battery charge rate using the inverter remote which would leave more for the coach.

My inverter can charge up to 125 amps and then start to taper. It usually stays at the 125 amp rate for maybe 5 minutes before going into absorb rate.

I often camp with only 30 amps and have yet to have a problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

I use the "only two" rule while on 30 meaning you can run any two heavy power using devices. Water heater and one AC unit or one AC unit plus microwave, etc.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
If not 50 AMPS, then 30 AMPS. But wait 1 hour!!

Two different amperages quoted above. Converters can provide about 100 Amps DC (12V) to the batteries which equates to about 10Amps AC (120V) on the shore power line.

How long the converter stays in bulk mode (large current to batteries) will depend on your batteries state of charge when you first plug in to shore power.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

So then the reasoning behind the "Waiting one hour" is based on the potential need for the inverter to re-charge the batteries. Not the inability of the "30 AMP" service to run appliances.

Therefore my trade off is to either let the inverter do its job charging the batteries, or turn on the A/C and quiet my family's squabbling in hot weather.

The counter to this would be - use the A/C now but realize that we will need to stay either plugged into shore power or run the generator later to make sure the batteries are charged.

Did I get it right????
Old 11-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm a rebel. I only wait 55 min !

Just turn the charger setting down to 5 or 10A max when you only have 30A shore power. Usually, the drive to the park already has your battery banks fully charged, so your charger just goes into float mode, which uses very little power.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
So then the reasoning behind the "Waiting one hour" is based on the potential need for the inverter to re-charge the batteries. Not the inability of the "30 AMP" service to run appliances.

Therefore my trade off is to either let the inverter do its job charging the batteries, or turn on the A/C and quiet my family's squabbling in hot weather.

The counter to this would be - use the A/C now but realize that we will need to stay either plugged into shore power or run the generator later to make sure the batteries are charged.

Did I get it right????

Sounds like that RV has an 'inverter/charger' only vs also having a 'converter'

Therefore ....large demand will always be placed on house batteries and they will need recharging when AC power is available.
So when on 30A AC power supply you only have 3600W/30A TOTAL for AC power (50A has 6000W per hot leg for 12,000W total)
So that 30A is limited whenever inverter is in high charge mode-----and running AC may just end up tripping 30A service breaker due to overload.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think this advice goes beyond just the charger. For example, when you first plug in, the water heater is probably heating and soaking up a steady 12 amps. That plus the charger might well be using more than half the available power on a 30A service, but only about 20% of a 50A hook-up. If you start using other major appliances, e.g. a microwave,right away on 30A, you may well trip the main breaker on the power pole. By waiting an hour, the water heater has probably cycled off, the batteries are charged, etc.

Note that is also says to
Quote:
Use caution when operating appliances to
avoid overloading the supplied shore service breaker.
Operate appliances and outlets in sequence rather
than all at the same time."
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can answer that, from experience, but mine is with 20 amp service at my Sticks and Bricks.

IF the batteries are low, which they can be when you first plug in, then a decent converter (mine is a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard, or, alternately a Xantrex Prosine set to max DC out of 100 amps (I have the batteries to support that charge rate). can easily draw 1,000 watts or more (My PDI will run on a Genrac 1000, a true 1000 watt generator)

That's 10 amps.

So when I plugged in at home, I liked to wait not one hour, but TWO before say running a vacuum or the Air Conditioner.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Run the gen on the way to the campground/destination then you'll get there fully charged. Down here in TX my gen runs nonstop on the road as the dash a/c keeps me cool but that's it so i have the gen and roof airs running all the time.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree that perhaps the 1 hour pause is for all the reasons previously mentioned.

I think that as long as you have some form of EMS or you have some kind of display that reads out AMPs in use that you can easily decide how to manage that first hour. It isn't that hard to figure that out.

If you don't have an EMS to help get through that first hour and get at least one AC unit running you can put the water heater and perhaps an RV refer on LP only. As mentioned, you could even fire up the generator for about 30-60 minutes before you arrive to your destination to get the batteries up to reasonable levels to avoid long bulk charge times at high amps.

I tend to agree with Wideglide that your batteries should be reasonably charged by the alternator BUT...I've seen times where the charger ran up fairly high bulk charge for reasons I couldn't figure out.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #13

All good info.

But looking at this logically (That's been the quandary of my existence), if I've been on the road and my "coach's charging system" is working properly, my batteries should be fully charged. Right??

Assuming that I didn't run them down dry camping the day before without using the generator AND that I drove a sufficient distance prior to plugging into 30 AMP service. My batteries should be at fully - or almost full - charge. Thereby eliminating the need to "...wait one hour before turning on any appliance." Right???
Old 11-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
All good info.

But looking at this logically (That's been the quandary of my existence), if I've been on the road and my "coach's charging system" is working properly, my batteries should be fully charged. Right??

Assuming that I didn't run them down dry camping the day before without using the generator AND that I drove a sufficient distance prior to plugging into 30 AMP service. My batteries should be at fully - or almost full - charge. Thereby eliminating the need to "...wait one hour before turning on any appliance." Right???
Most manufacturers will err on the conservative side. By saying wait 1 hour, that should be more than enough time to handle all but the severely drained batteries. JMHO
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote