Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #1

If you are considering Koni shock absorbers!

I have been researching replacement shocks for my Bay Star and have read just about everything I can find about Bilstein and Koni shocks. I have seen a few instances where there has been mention of oil versus gas charged shocks.

The following chart may help if you are considering Koni shocks as it identifies which technology is used for specific shocks:

https://www.koni-na.com/CorporateSit...y-2019-(1).pdf

As it pertains to the F53 chassis, Koni replacements are gas charged.

Thought I would share this just for the benefit of anyone attempting to research shocks for their rig.

Koni or Bilstein shocks for my rig????? I'm still debating.......
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #2

If it helps you decide at all. I changed out to Bilsteins in the spring of 2018 (not positive the model we used - 2008 F53 chassis on a 2010 Winnebago Vista 32K). This past summer we switched those to Koni FSD's.

My previous introduction to the Koni FSD's were in my first Mini Cooper. I didn't see the benefit there. When we put them on the RV I was pleasantly surprised that they were so much better than the Bilsteins. I didn't think they would make the difference that they did, but it did. The ride is smoother (as much as it can be) and the jarring from potholes, bridge sections, etc. is much less.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:34 AM   #3

Thom....thanks for the reply. The Koni shocks for my 2012 would be the same as what you put on your 2010. Based on all the replies I've seen, it's really a gamble as to whether its worth spending twice as much for the Koni shocks. I'd say it's a leap of faith at this point.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #4

The Koni FSD's that I installed on my F53 chassis are not gas charged. The Bilsteins that I removed were. The Koni's are a lot more expensive but are a much better shock for a MH application IMO. Very happy with mine.
css899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a write up on the Koni FSD vs Bilstein shock technology.
Good info for anyone looking for new shocks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shock technology discussion - Bilstein vs Koni FSD.pdf (111.7 KB, 645 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #6

We bought a new Baystar in 2013. The Bilstein shocks were total junk. Road like a lumber wagon. At about 4K miles I puts on a set of Koni FSDs and it was like night and day. Threw the junk Bilsteins in the dumpster and never looked back.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:

Thought I would share this just for the benefit of anyone attempting to research shocks for their rig.

When you get your Koni FSD's, and you will , you'll see that you can extend and compress them by hand and they stay there. This throws some people off and they think they're defective.

I removed my OEM Ford Sachs at 800 miles and had the FSD's installed front and back. They made a dramatic, very noticeable positive improvement in the ride. Bridge joints used to make me clench my teeth and now, unless it's really bad, we barely notice them.

There was a section of local road that would cause my RV 785 w/dashcam to think we were in an accident. The RV 785 would automatically trigger an "incident" and save the video, every time. Once we switched to the FSD's that section of the road feels like all others and no incidents.

It's just an impression but we have much less banging and jarring noises as we drive. If the FSD's removed some potential for damage I'm even happier. They definitely reduced the front sway by about half per a digital inclinometer.

I think it depends a lot on your chassis, weights, etc. as to how well they work, though. We have a 2019 F53 22,000 lb chassis with a 242" wheelbase and 22.5" tires. So all of our suspension pieces-parts are still new.

Ray
Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I have been researching replacement shocks for my Bay Star and have read just about everything I can find about Bilstein and Koni shocks. I have seen a few instances where there has been mention of oil versus gas charged shocks.

The following chart may help if you are considering Koni shocks as it identifies which technology is used for specific shocks:

https://www.koni-na.com/CorporateSit...y-2019-(1).pdf

I probably should get new shocks for our 08 Itasca Meridian Freightliner chassis. I wonder if the Koni would be a good selection?
dirt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt40 View Post
I probably should get new shocks for our 08 Itasca Meridian Freightliner chassis. I wonder if the Koni would be a good selection?
Based upon what I've read, yes! But are they a better choice than Bilstein shocks? That's hard to determine. The one "test" report dates back to 2009 and was in Motorhome:

https://www.motorhome.com/tech/diy/s...absorber-test/

I can't find the web page now, but one report indicated that the Koni shocks were better for heavier motorhomes such as diesel pushers whereas the Bilstein shock resulted in a smoother ride for gas motorhomes. If I can find that article, I will post a link for it.

In my situation, I don't need to improve sway control as the Sumo springs (installed by the previous owner) take care of that so I'm more concerned about any improvement for expansion joints, pot holes, etc. I don't expect any huge improvement, but since the shocks/motorhome has some age and miles, it's worth the money to replace the shocks.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Based upon what I've read, yes! But are they a better choice than Bilstein shocks? That's hard to determine. The one "test" report dates back to 2009 and was in Motorhome: ...
I do not know for certain however I'd hope there would be some changes in everyone's products in the last ten years, good or bad.

The FSD's list for about $180 each or $720 for four. I paid two hours labor for the replacement at $128/hour. So with tax it's a thousand dollar experiment.

If your shocks are eight years old I'd think either would give some improvement. I'm from NE Ohio as well and we noticed a good difference with the FSD's on those roads. I only had 800 miles on the rig when I had them changed.

What is the price differential with the Bilstein's you're looking at?

Ray
Old 02-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #11

Before tax, I can get the Bilstein shocks for $376 (front & rear). Koni shocks are running $640 so that makes it $264 more for the Koni shocks, assuming my repair facility will let me purchase the shocks and they will install them.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
we put Koni in 3 years ago. They made a noticeable difference. Worth a few hundred extra IMHO.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #13

We bought our coach as the second owner in early 2016 with 18K miles on the clock. One of the first things I did was remove the OEM Bilstein shocks and went with the FSD's. With the OEM Bilstein shocks we experienced really bad porpoising. None with FSD's.

When I want to fix or upgrade something I'm not worrying about about $200 or $300 dollars. I want to do this right the first time and be done with it.

So for me—after much research—I ordered the FSD's online and installed myself for $625 front & rear and about a 1/2 day install.

This is just one of many, many upgrades and mod's I've done to our rig before we went FT.

In addition to this upgrade, if anyone's interested you can see all what we've done to our coach on our YT channel beginning here with Part#1.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
All I can say is from my experience on two different coaches, the KONI shocks are worth the extra money. Our previous rig was a Kodiak based super C that I put the FSDs on all around and my goodness, what an improvement. Part of that could probably be due to the fact that it had mis-matched front and rear shocks of unknown brand and age but the improvement was immense. Fast-forward a couple of years to now and I last month switched out the front Bilsteins on our Vectra for the Koni EVO (FSD shock but on steroids for IFS diesel applications) and again, I'm still amazed by the difference. The Bilsteins that came off were in fine condition and still plenty gas-charged as they originally were but they simply could not control the front of our motorhome. The smoothness and control that the Koni shocks have over the other brands makes their cost easier to justify, IMHO.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, koni