Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
First thing I'd do is go out and spend $5,000 on a trinket for my wife, then I'd be able to go out and buy anything I wanted. LOL

Seriously though, spend some time looking at various RV's on the net. It will give you an education of what's available and at what price.

Having spent the last month doing this very thing, I can tell you that you don't have to spend $200,000 to get a beautiful coach. $100,000 to $150,000 would definately do it.

As others have said, and I can attest to, you learn a lot from your first coach. The biggest thing is what you don't want in the next one and would want to do differently in your choices.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I'll chime in with a little different perspective. After reading several RV forums for a few months and seeing what some people believe is acceptable maintenance, I'd choose a NEW one every time. I don't want someone else's problem.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #17

I agree with Sarah. If I was mechanically inclined I can see going used but I am not and did not. Also Entegra Coach has a full 2 year warranty rather than the normal 1 year so I feel fairly comfortable that I will have all the bugs worked out on someone else's nickel. Finally in order to avoid the shock of the depreciation hit (which I know we will incur) we chose a coach that we feel is good for us for 10-15 years so we don't really care. Maybe flawed logic but we are happy:-).
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your time here. Plenty of good info so far and if it were me USED would be the choice. Many good quality units out there for sale. Take your time, find the floorplan you like and go for it. Hope you find the shopping experience to be fun and all the future travels as well.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #19

New or used, got it.
Along with pouring over floorplans.....needing bunk beds should help cull the field.
What manufactures are worth zeroing in on???? I assume that if used it will bring a few more expensive lines into the mix. Whom should I be looking at in the new category and in the used category.
Or what manufactures to shy away from is just as informative.
Thanks for all the replies.
Chris
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #20

Chris, what exciting time for you and your family. My husband and I didn't start the rving thing until we retired 4 years ago.
As newbies then we soon discovered we wished we had started when our sons were small.
That being said our first experience was completely lacking. We bought from a dealer, out of state and got the worst walk thru (PDI) when we went to pick it up. We had the MotorHome for 4 years and had to self teach our selves all the systems. This board was helpful however since there are a vast number of different kinds, brands and styles alot of times we couldn't find the help we were looking for.
We then started looking for a new motor home and came across the
TiffinRvnetwork.com
There we found so much info. We ended up buying one.
The support we got there was extremely helpful.
What I would do if I were you would be to go to different owner boards to broaden your search. Many have a for sale link also.
See what all your options are and where you feel the most comfortable.
After you decide on a brand make sure you keep coming back to this site too!
Look at all the great suggestions you got already!
Have fun looking.. Besides owing one it is the best part.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Sue
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #21

Its funny in a weird parallel kind of way. We started this journey a few months ago with the exact same budget and thoughts in mind. We went in looking at new coaches in the 40 ft diesel pusher range. Then switched and looked at gas because we got floor plans we really wanted and it knocked 50k off the price or more. Then we said we really wanted diesel and starting looking at preowns.

Ironically in that period of looking around, we found out we had certain things that were a must and certain things that we thought we liked but ended up not wanting. Fast forward weeks of going to look at floor plans and coaches every day and we ended up spending 25% of our original budget on a very low mile coach from the year 2000. We put in another 5k in our changes that we wanted and couldn't be happier money wise.

Is that the way everybody should do it? Of course not, but it worked for us and that extra 150k that we had originally budgeted for, has left us smiling for quite a while. It also means that if we decide 6 months into this that we want to upgrade or find something we like more, it is not the end of the world.
TheTourVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We bought a new coach in April last year it had so many defects and problems we took it back to the dealer and traded up. We took a hit on the unit we traded in but it was worth it to get out of the dud. In hind sight I would buy used as many have suggested. Many people have had knee jerk reactions and bought a coach that they end up not liking then they sell them at a huge discount so you can take advantage of that.
There is a web site that you can use to figure out a fair price for a coach, it is the ones dealers use when they give us trade in values it is NADA I believe.
Both of our kids have bunk model coachs, one is a gas Fleetwood Fiesta 35[family of 5,dog,cat] and the other has a diesel pusherMonaco Cayman 40 [Family of 6] They both like their units but here is what they think is important to have after their experiences .
Diesel pusher 40ft w/ Exhaust brake,3 or 4 slides, bunks, large food pantry,stacked washer/dryer, large kitchen counter space, residential fridge, at least a 2800 watt inverter, 4 solar charging panels, large holding tanks, sani con.
Our kids in the Fiesta are full timing it and will be upgrading to a diesel in fall.
As to brands they all have their issues, we have 4 Monacos in our family but most of us think that Winnebago Diesel pushers are the best bang for your buck right now. We also like Tiffins but find the interiors not to our liking. Just remember if you buy new you should pay 25 to 30% below the sticker price or it is not a good deal.
Happy shopping, if you require more info send me a email.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
I think the hardest part might be finding a used DP with bunks (used bunk gassers are more common but the used bunk DPs are quite rare). That said, if you aren't 100% certain that the RVs are for you, I think you should be able to find a used Newmar All Star (loft model or bunk) in good condition and at a good price. With a used one, you're in a better position if, after a year, you decide that RVs aren't for your family or if you really love it but want something a bit different (smaller, bigger, etc).

You could also consider models that you could renovate with bunks (some of the open floorplan Newmars, Monaco Execs or Signatures, or even any model with a large closet in the back (although that would provide very little privacy (although no less than sharing a hotel room)).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Chris, great question. We also are on a quest for our first mh. I think all of these answers have their own merit and require time to research to find that RGHT one.

I would like to pose a additional question. Deposit. Using the same $200k budget and you have an monthly payment budget of $1400 and $100k cash fund (cutting a few extra lawns ) would you use all of it for a deposit or move you budget up?
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

There's a number of good coaches out there. However, you should be able to find an Entegra Aspire within your price range. They don't come any better built than that and you'll get a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty but the way they're built you probably won't need it.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Keep some of your cash you will find that there will be a few things you want to add or change after you have used your coach for a while. Upgrades that make your coach safer and easier to drive cost a lot.

Chris.
If you chose new. I saw a bunk model 2012 Discovery desiel pusher in La Mesa rv in Tucson last week it was on sale for 189k sticker was around 250k and could be had for 179 I am sure. My kids were seriously considering it and I had a good look at it and was impressed with the coach for that price.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchayan View Post
Keep some of your cash you will find that there will be a few things you want to add or change after you have used your coach for a while. Upgrades that make your coach safer and easier to drive cost a lot.

Chris.
If you chose new. I saw a bunk model 2012 Discovery desiel pusher in La Mesa rv in Tucson last week it was on sale for 189k sticker was around 250k and could be had for 179 I am sure. My kids were seriously considering it and I had a good look at it and was impressed with the coach for that price.

I personally think the 40G has the best floorplan for us. Thanks for the heads up I have more research to do and time to go...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchayan View Post

Chris.

Any other thoughts on that coach? Was she perty?