Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #43

Ok so what I have figured out is.... I would love to come across a model year leftover or used by 1 year or 2. This is where I need you guys to check me: The manufactures the we have found with floorplans that we like are:They all must have bunk beds, not tiny dining area and maybe king bed.
Fleetwood Discovery 40G and 42A
Newmar Ventana 4043
Forest River Berkshire 390bh
Tiffin Allegro Red 38qba
Tiffin Phaeton 40qkh

This does not exclude the finding of a higher end rig that falls out of the sky that someone needs to let go cheap(for that model Foretravel, that type of thing).
What do you think and what would you add to the mix?
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #44

The Forest River Charleston has a bunk model too
Horst-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With that kind of budget, I'd head to Nacogdoches, TX and look at used Foretravels......

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst-RVing View Post
The Forest River Charleston has a bunk model too
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
With that kind of budget, I'd head to Nacogdoches, TX and look at used Foretravels......

Ken
I suspected a trip or two to Florida or another state where purchases would be made.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Ok so what I have figured out is.... I would love to come across a model year leftover or used by 1 year or 2. This is where I need you guys to check me: The manufactures the we have found with floorplans that we like are:They all must have bunk beds, not tiny dining area and maybe king bed.
Newmar Ventana 4043
Tiffin Allegro Red 38qba
Tiffin Phaeton 40qkh

This does not exclude the finding of a higher end rig that falls out of the sky that someone needs to let go cheap(for that model Foretravel, that type of thing).
I was in similar situation with looking for our first coach, which I was nervous about spending 150K on for the first time. I looked for months, used ones, new ones finally felt very overwhelmed. So we ended up with a Damon Astoria bunk model mainly because the dealer was local and I felt comfortable if I had an issue I had somewhere close to run. It was a great coach, we traveled over 7000 miles in the first year. Don't lose sight that everything will depreciate including a used one and there will always be something wrong with whatever you buy because it is man made. We felt the need to get something bigger so after looking at lots of coaches we traded it in on a Tiffin Allegro bus 43QGP last fall. What we found is that our kids (5 of them) actually never slept in the bunks, in the morning they were all sprawled over the couches and the floor. So when we were looking for a new one we set our sights on keeping mom happy with a king bed and a bath and a half. It all depends on how you use it. If I was doing it all over again I would start with a Tiffin Allegro Red 38 QBA as my starter (or even the Phaeton that has a king bed option). Its so easy to go to an RV show and get all googly eyed at the new granite countertops for this years model. The true value is not only in your coach, but the dealer and ultimately the manufacturer that stands behind it. Good Luck!
mickandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm on my third one, all used. This one next to the oldest. We have more work to do on this one but that's ok. My next I will probably spend about $100k on a used newer model diesel pusher, I don't want anything over 38 ft and really would like it a bit shorter, more slides would make up the difference.

Then I would take the balance of the money and buy me two more rent houses to add to the ones we have so there will be plenty of money to finance all the fixin' and yep they will all need fixed, and for the trips.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix
I figure my MH out the door purchase limit will be $200k. Family of 4, kids age 7 + 10. What would all you experienced MH experts do? I am looking for insight, experience, all the things a noob needs....Knowing what you know now! Buy new, used....?????
Thanks,
Chris
Number one, with two children floor plan is essential. We travel with two lovely canines that probably behave better but take up as much room. First coach was 39 ft. With booth recliner, one couch. One of us had the recliner the other booth set. No good. Suggest two couches one that makes into a double bed. 40 ft. At a min. With your budget find a tag axle with half bath you will need it. Tag should allow you a rear bath with shower you will need the privacy. Stack up washer and dryer a must! Many post favor there coach and I will not digress for what we all buy seems to be the best! Smiling! Buy from a large dealer they will walk you through the coach and most times have tested all necessary systems and provided needed maintenance. If you buy used you must insure that maintenance records are there along with systems info books. Ie: chassis, trany etc. In summary if you buy too small with two kids you will have to purchase again and loose bucks. Best of luck we enjoy the life style!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #50

If I had $200,000, which is what I had, I would look at a higher end used coach. I bought a 2 year old '06 Newmar Essex with 18,500 miles on it and I've had it going on three years and the Nada is still higher than what I paid for it. Plus all the bugs run out. I bet you'll have more trouble running the bugs out of a new one. Then when you get it all fixed up it's probably going to be only half of what you paid for it.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Newmar Ventana 4043
Tiffin Allegro Red 38qba
Tiffin Phaeton 40qkh

I think you have a great starting point on what you like and a good solid set of choices. I would go look at as many of them as you can and drive each one of them; and while you are at each dealer, walk around and in everything on their lot....this really helped us learn what we really wanted, what we liked and what we really didn't like/want...yes, it took A LOT of time, but was well worth it in my opinion, and really a lot of fun! When we first saw the one we ended up purchasing, we both said this was it and each time we looked at another coach, we always compared them to ours....you will know when it finds you!

Look online also, I think Texas RV Dealer, Used RVs for sale, motorhome sales, new RVs shows a lot of pics of a lot of different new and used models, plus prices are already pretty much discounted...gives you good ideas on models and prices if nothing else.

Oh, the Allegro Red 38qba was our first love when we saw it at an RV show...set and talked to a Tiffin Rep and a friend of ours who owns a Phaeton for about an hour....we've liked Tiffins ever since and a big reason we ended up with our Allegro Bay.

Have fun!
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I bought my 2005 Winnebago at PPL in Houston. They had a list of inspectors you could hire. I hired a fellow that has Feltons RV there. He made a list of all the items that needed repair. They won't discount anything its sold for that price. They said on the one I got the guy owed about what I was paying plus they get 10% for selling it so I'm sure they were correct.

I had the items fixed and it was a great motorhome. I put over 20k miles on it with no engine issues. Mine were solely tire issues and I got a new set and that took care of that till I ran over a road gator and tore one up.

But if you don't know about them get it inspected before you buy it, I knew nothing about motorhomes. We bought an old bigger one we are going to fix up and my neighbors loved the little Winnie so much they bought it!! I know you will enjoy them, it really is a lot of fun. I like just driving it and being able to see everything while driving. This is a wonderful country to travel.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRVMan View Post
I think you have a great starting point on what you like and a good solid set of choices. I would go look at as many of them as you can and drive each one of them; and while you are at each dealer, walk around and in everything on their lot....this really helped us learn what we really wanted, what we liked and what we really didn't like/want...yes, it took A LOT of time, but was well worth it in my opinion, and really a lot of fun! When we first saw the one we ended up purchasing, we both said this was it and each time we looked at another coach, we always compared them to ours....you will know when it finds you!

Look online also, I think Texas RV Dealer, Used RVs for sale, motorhome sales, new RVs shows a lot of pics of a lot of different new and used models, plus prices are already pretty much discounted...gives you good ideas on models and prices if nothing else.

Oh, the Allegro Red 38qba was our first love when we saw it at an RV show...set and talked to a Tiffin Rep and a friend of ours who owns a Phaeton for about an hour....we've liked Tiffins ever since and a big reason we ended up with our Allegro Bay.

Have fun!
Thank you.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
I bought my 2005 Winnebago at PPL in Houston. They had a list of inspectors you could hire. I hired a fellow that has Feltons RV there. He made a list of all the items that needed repair. They won't discount anything its sold for that price. They said on the one I got the guy owed about what I was paying plus they get 10% for selling it so I'm sure they were correct.

I had the items fixed and it was a great motorhome. I put over 20k miles on it with no engine issues. Mine were solely tire issues and I got a new set and that took care of that till I ran over a road gator and tore one up.

But if you don't know about them get it inspected before you buy it, I knew nothing about motorhomes. We bought an old bigger one we are going to fix up and my neighbors loved the little Winnie so much they bought it!! I know you will enjoy them, it really is a lot of fun. I like just driving it and being able to see everything while driving. This is a wonderful country to travel.
Cool insight on the inspector, thanks!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Another place to look is the Tiffin RV Network Classifieds. Individual sellers and from what I can tell, some pretty good prices...good forum also.

www.tiffinrvnetwork.com
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #56

I will say this having owned 8 boats and 5 motor homes over the last 25 years. If you can, buy bigger than you think you need or want unless your destinations restrict you from the larger coach. You will be money ahead in the long run trust me. Get four slides if you can, or three if one is the full wall slide. Get one with a tag axle if possible. The improved ride, carrying capacity and better braking make for a more comfortable and safer ride. Tiffin has incredible costumer service from all I've heard. The Ventana (along with all the diesel pusher Newmars) will have comfort drive which makes for an amazing driving experience.