Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #15

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD629 View Post
Foretravel. Why?, because they are a well built, quality coach. Still in business, with great support. Also because it was my first choice and what I own. Yes, I'm biased, but also very happy as we live full time in ours.
We looked at many many new and near new DP's to replace our Thor 34H.
We were disappointed @ the build quality of the new coaches that were in our price range and the lack of factory support from the mfg's.
But just for gits and shiggles looked at a 14 year old Foretravel single slide coach. the build quality and awsum factory support is just beyond amazing... and a big enough engine to "scoot" if needed no excuses
have never looked back and see no reason to look for a replacement coach.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
American! Build, Floorplan, quality inside & out & customer service that is outstanding!
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We narrowed our search to 2003-2009 model years (not necessarily in order):
Monaco
Country Coach
Travel Supreme
Entegra
Newmar
American Coach

We also made a list of "Must haves" and "Nice to haves". It really helps to put things in perspective. After looking for a while, we further narrowed the list to only certain models in the above lineup.
You will learn something (positive or negative) from every coach you look at.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Find the floor plan that best fits your needs, wants, dreams and desires that fits within your budget. If you are buying use the quality could be a crap shoot if the unit was ill maintained or used hard.

Get maintenance records and have the unit house and chassis inspected by knowledgeable tech and mechanic.

IMO the quality of all manufacturers is similar. If you look at the number of units produced and the number of complaints on the forum the failure rate is very similar.

Higher "quality" units will be more costly to repair and in many cases more difficult to repair as well.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #19

Different way to look but look at dealers. You can read any number of problems people have had with different dealers and you can also find the ones that have good support perhaps even ones part of a wide area network to provide support while one is on the road.

For us, I eliminated Tiffin because we live in central IN and are near a number of factories but not theirs.

REV group (American Coach, Fleetwood, Monaco, Holiday Rambler) has 3 factory locations that I am aware of. One near the plant in Decatur, IN, one in TX and one on west coast. So for us that was also a plus on top of the dealer.

Anyhow, plan for problems and how/where you will be getting things fixed. Some coaches have more problems than others and some have more serious ones as well but I really don't know of anyone who has had a coach for very long and been problem free. May be something wrong with build or something the owner accidentally does. It does not really matter if you want to get it fixed and you don't want to do everything yourself. Nothing wrong with doing a lot yourself but it's not for everyone and there are just some things best left to those who have done it a number of times and/or have the tools.

So just a thought you may want to look closely at the dealer to help narrow down brands.

Tom
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
So just a thought you may want to look closely at the dealer to help narrow down brands.
As full-timers, we never returned to the selling dealer. No issue with a good manufacturer who backs you up.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
As full-timers, we never returned to the selling dealer. No issue with a good manufacturer who backs you up.
While taking plant tours we ran into some folks who had trouble getting service due to where they bought/where they had to take coach for service. Then reading in forums here I have seen reports of people having trouble getting service.

I am glad to hear that may not always be the case. Being new to this I have had to learn what I can from talking to others or reading about things.

Tom
Old 12-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #22

There are many people who buy RVs out of state. You only hear about the few that have dealer problems. You don't hear about the thousands who don't. It's just typical for forums. Those that have problems post. You never see a post starting out "I never had a problem with my RV". The manufacturer was great... I got great service, etc."
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:20 AM   #23

Thanks all for all the great suggestions and information. I was told by more than 1 RV dealer they are hesitant to service the coach if bought elsewhere. Poor business model in my book, especially up north when the sales season could slow down.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Pete.....to stay in the years you're looking at and the level of coach, I would add American Coach and Integra. These two will be slightly higher in price and harder to find.

The Tiffin is good, but have several recalls that need to be done. Tiffin will gladly do them, but check with Tiffin before you buy to make sure they've been done and willing to do them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #25

For me it was Newmar, Tiffen then Fleetwood. But I was looking at a gasser. I am very happy I found a Newmar. Also this was based on floor plan and quality of build and service.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Pete.....to stay in the years you're looking at and the level of coach, I would add American Coach and Integra. These two will be slightly higher in price and harder to find.

The Tiffin is good, but have several recalls that need to be done. Tiffin will gladly do them, but check with Tiffin before you buy to make sure they've been done and willing to do them.
Hi Don , If you check post # 1 the info is there,
Tiffin 33 AA Red 2014- 16 W / 360 motor or Numar 2016 vantana 3409

Tanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
For me it was Newmar, Tiffen then Fleetwood. But I was looking at a gasser. I am very happy I found a Newmar. Also this was based on floor plan and quality of build and service.
No doubt you have a great gas coach , newmar adds a little more beef for sure
Old 12-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #28
rkf

Nix on the Tiffin, I own one and the only thing I like about it is the Freightliner chassis.
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote