Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #15

If you have a Diesel Pusher - carry Ether

Idling a Diesel engine for 3 or 5 minutes is to let the turbocharger slow down and also cool down. When you shut down your engine immediately, there is no oil going to the turbo bearings. Not a good thing. When you idle before shutdown, the turbo still gets lubrication from the engine oil pump. On my big truck, even after idling, I can still hear the turbo spinning probably 30 seconds after shutdown. Very important for turbo life to idle down.
And btw, not idling down had nothing to do with you losing your fuel prime. You're getting air in your fuel system somewhere.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #16

What would an engine rebuild cost vs the $850 tow?

Would your warranty be invalidated by using ether?

My Cummins manual says "DO NOT USE ETHER." I think I will go with that.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, I agree all kinds of warnings from Cummins and in the engine bay to not use starting fluids or ether. Not worth the risk.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My CAT manual says never to use ether.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Guessing your Lucky !
Never use Either on a Warm Diesel = Boom- Maybe you had a Heat soak issue- Glad your were on your way again either way ! Check your Filters and Always use Diesel Kleen at every Fill up !
The engine was cold. It had been off 5 hours when I tried the ether. Thanks for that tip!
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
Idling a Diesel engine for 3 or 5 minutes is to let the turbocharger slow down and also cool down. When you shut down your engine immediately, there is no oil going to the turbo bearings. Not a good thing. When you idle before shutdown, the turbo still gets lubrication from the engine oil pump. On my big truck, even after idling, I can still hear the turbo spinning probably 30 seconds after shutdown. Very important for turbo life to idle down.
And btw, not idling down had nothing to do with you losing your fuel prime. You're getting air in your fuel system somewhere.
Maybe you are correct. When it happened I had the exhaust brake on and was slowing down. The transmission acted like it wouldn't release the engine and pulled the idle down to below 400 rpm and the engine stumbled and died. That may be what caused back pressure/air into the fuel line. I'll have it checked.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #21

Cummins has intake grid heater in the air tract instead of glow plugs which are in the cylinder/head , the grid heater are large and can be red like an electric stove burner, could be a boom condition especially if sprayed when the engine isn't being turned over and drawing air in. JMO of course, glad you got it running,
My old friend "RIP" was a diesel mechanic and he preferred brake clean as it is less volatile than either for diesel's.
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I need to dig a little deeper into my ISX, I think it has glow plugs but I haven't verified that.
I know the 2007 EPA ISX uses dual over head cams, one fires the injectors, the other drives the valves.
Looking through the two volume repair manual now. So far I haven't found any reference to either a heating grid or glow plugs which is strange.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I need to dig a little deeper into my ISX, I think it has glow plugs but I haven't verified that.
I know the 2007 EPA ISX uses dual over head cams, one fires the injectors, the other drives the valves.
Looking through the two volume repair manual now. So far I haven't found any reference to either a heating grid or glow plugs which is strange.

You do not have "glo Plugs" Those haven't been used in years.

To the OP, it is obvious you don't have a tow service such as CoachNet. Maybe you should think about signing up. Also forget the either, it can possibly blow up in your face
Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #24

I owned an engine rebuild shop. I have seen holes blown in Pistons from ether. I have also seen valve covers and oil pans shredded from internal ether explosions. I made money from people using it but defiantly think it should be outlawed.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #25

Don't use ether. Understand the problem and also understand what you need to do instead of using ether.

So you had air bubbles in your fuel system. Not sure why but usually that indicates a leak on the suction side of the fuel system. So using ether ran the engine and ran the fuel pump thus priming the system and allowing fuel to flow to the injectors again. Now how do we do it without ether? On the cat motors, on top of the fuel filter, usually, there is a round knob on what looks like a slanted thing. That is your primer pump. If you unscrew the round know it will pull up or out, this is the plunger. Once it's out start pumping it over and over. If there is air in the system you won't feel much resistance. As it builds up fuel and the air is gone you will feel resistance in the pump as you are now circulating fuel through the injection pump etc. This is what you want to feel. Push the plunger down and screw back in. Now you should be primed and ready to start. Depending on how much air you got in system you may need to crank a bit. Hold it to the floor until it is running on it's own and cleans up so to speak.

Cummins motors have an electric lift pump that usually cycles with the key switch for 30 secs. Key on and off a few times to prime system then start.

Ether is not for novices. To use ether you must disable glow plugs or grid heater or major damage can happen. Even without glow plugs you can have pre detonation and that will certainly bend a rod.

Learn your systems and you will be just fine.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
An air bubble in the fuel filter is a fuel line issue. You have a slight air leak in the suction side of the line from the tank, to the filter that had air in it. Shutting it down had nothing to do with it developing.

WD40 is a better starting fluid for diesels. It burns and has oil in it. That's closer to diesel fuel then ether.

Spray some ether on an oily part.
It cleans as good as brake parts cleaner. That's what's happening to your cylinder walls.
x2 on the WD40! I had a GMC bus with an older Detroit 2 stroke, it got cantankerous at times, a couple of shots of WD40 and it would start right up.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvs View Post
I almost had to pay $850 for a 24 mile tow of my 2002 Journey.
I turned of the engine without letting it cool down properly. I normally let the engine idle for at least 5 minutes before shutdown but didn't this time. When I restarted I got about 100 feet and the engine died. I could not get it to start. I used the generator and the momentary battery assist to charge the engine batteries back up. Still wouldn't start. I called roadside assistance and was told that it would cost $850 to tow 24 miles to the nearest Freightliner repair location. Loves and other truck stops will not send out a mechanic to repair/work on motor homes.
I called Freightliner and talked with the service manager. He said that he could send a mechanic but the min/start charge would be $350 before anything was done. He suggested that I check to see if I was getting diesel. A check of the fuel filter showed an air bubble. Refiled the filter and tried to start, still no good. The manager told me to get a can of ether (starting fluid). Spray the ether into the air intake and have my wife hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine over until it starts then keep spraying in ether as the engine starts to die until it primes the fuel pump and pulls out the air. Problem was that I didn't have any ether. Luckily road side assistance would pay for delivery of fluids so they had a can of ether brought to me. Charged up the engine batteries again and gave it a try. Success!!!!
It took two tries but then the engine kept going and idled ( say purred since it is a cat engine). We drove the last 4 hours home with no problems. $5 for a can of ether compared to a $850 tow is a much nicer bill to pay. I will now keep two cans of ether in my tool kit for future emergencies. My hat is off to the Freightliner service manager that spent many calls helping out.
What kind of road service insurance do you have and suggest you look into COACHNET by calling PPL in Houston?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You do not have "glo Plugs" Those haven't been used in years.
So far nothing I've found shows one or the other but I suspect you're right. Just wasn't sure since this is a true heavy duty truck engine. Well, maybe not so "heavy duty" with the valve breaking problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel