Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have/had a choice?

If you have/had a choice between a Tiffin Allergo 34' dp or a Newmar 35' dp price is no object, and layout is similar. Which for the soundness/construction/warranty would you pick?
We are torn between the 2 manufactures? Please tell us which you would pick and why?
Happy Camping
phxmtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

Either is a good well built coach but no company compares to Tiffin Motor Homes for service at the factory in Red Bay or at one of their dealers.
redbayjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Buy the one you like the best as they are about equal in quality. Tiffin would probably win out on the customer service side side however.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Both mfr's have quality units. My decision would be based on:
#1 Floorplan
#2 The dealer who gives me the best discounted price

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #5

I am on my 2nd Tiffin and have had all my normal repairs done at the factory since the first of 06. This last time that we were at the factory I had to pay $258.00 for repairs made to my pre-owned Tiffin. This is the first time I have paid for any repairs at the factory since 06. I don't know but I bet that will not be the case with a Newmar. Love my Tiffin. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar also has excellent factory service in Napanee, IN.

As for dealers, they vary all over the map. Some good, some not so good. Hard to make any generalization, regardless of the brands they sell.

I'm with Lori - pick the one you like best, at the best price you can get.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxmtngirl View Post
If you have/had a choice between a Tiffin Allergo 34' dp or a Newmar 35' dp price is no object, and layout is similar. Which for the soundness/construction/warranty would you pick?
We are torn between the 2 manufactures? Please tell us which you would pick and why?
Well, I'd lean towards the Newmar, but considering what I own that should be no surprise.

I like Newmar sidewall construction -- walls are hung instead of laminated, so they won't delaminate in a Newmar.

I prefer Newmar's slideout mechanism to Power Gear's, but HWH is just fine too.

However, I think you'd be better of comparing model differences instead of manufacturer diffs. For example, I'd pick a Spartan chassis over a Freightliner.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Tech, very interesting. Ok, I'm the wife and don't know the difference between the spartan or freightliner chassies.
Since you have a Newmar, I have a question about the roof. I have been told that the rubber roofs are not as good as a solid fiberglass roof, and that you can't for instance "sit" on a rubber roof like you can a fiberglass one.
The roof issue is what is pushing me towards the Tiffin.
Thanks
phxmtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxmtngirl View Post
Tech, very interesting. Ok, I'm the wife and don't know the difference between the spartan or freightliner chassies.
Since you have a Newmar, I have a question about the roof. I have been told that the rubber roofs are not as good as a solid fiberglass roof, and that you can't for instance "sit" on a rubber roof like you can a fiberglass one.
The roof issue is what is pushing me towards the Tiffin.
I'd take fiberglass over rubber. My Mountain Aire has one.

Check the model as Newmars use BriteTek and fiberglass (typically an upgrade).
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #10

In terms of the walkability of either type of roof,there is no difference.I have had both rubber & fiberglass roofs & they supported my 280 lbs with ni issues.The manufacturers will verify this as well.
05kstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
phxmtngirl,

Either one would be a good choise. However, if you were closer to one factory than the other, perhaps that would figure into your decision. If you had to make a trip to the factory in the winter you may find the weather a little milder in Red Bay.

Ref the roof, I've had the BriteTek on my last two motorhomes and have found it to be excellent. Of course, I don't do much sitting up there...
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I found out you can slip off either one. Mines a fiberglass full cap with walk around strip.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Between the two, I prefer a Newmar. The only difference in factory service is that it is warmer in Red Bay than Nappanee in the winter.

Newmar has not used a rubber roof in many years. The roofs are BriteTek or Fiber glass. I have the BriteTek and it is tough as nails. It's been through hail storms that took out the slide toppers and a tornado that took out the slide toppers. The roof remains as new as the day it was installed.

Lori nailed your decision with her advice. With a one year warranty, dealer service becomes less of a factor. Get the best price on the unit you like the best. Here is the only flaw in that thinking. Newmar builds only to order. This means there will be fewer Newmar's on dealer lots than Tiffins. Newmars are selling so fast (off Florida dealer lots) that there is a concern there will not be enough coaches at the Tampa Super Show. This tells you something. Would one pay more for a Newmar than a Tiffin? I would.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You can stand, walk or sit (& fall off as a k pointed out) on either roof - no difference. Maintenance might be a factor, though. I don't know about fiberglass, but we spend a lot of time keeping our EDPM roof white.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote