Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #29
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can I not buy ANOTHER Gasser for the difference of purchase price of a DP?.
A DP is way over 200,000 Dollars
A Gasser starts under 100,000 Dollars
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Getting ready to trade my 38' Cardinal 5th wheel for a Georgetown 350F gaser motor home. I pulled the 5er with a Dodge 6.7 Cummins diesel. I got around 6 - 8 MPG depending on where we were heading. I looked hard at the DP class As, but we don't live in it we camp in it, so I went for the Gaser to get the most bang for my buck. I love the quite ride of the DPs but once we are at our destination mine is just as quite & sleeps very well. Buy what you can afford & enjoy it.

Oh yeah need to edit my signature too, same truck wrong RV
Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
To me, gas vs diesel is a matter of how many miles you are going to drive over the time you plan on owning it.

If you are a FTer and plan on seeing the north american contininent, then a diesel is for you. If you are a snow bird and drive 5000 mi a year, gas is much cheaper.

Diesels are very expensive to maintain, just read some of the threads about costs with a diesel.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can offset some of these expenses, but in general, they are very expense to operate. When you need diesel work done, figure on at least twice the expence, if not more over gas.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Here is another view on the topic,you might be able to have your cake and eat it too!why not buy a deisel that is a little older(5-7years maybe),it might be in the ball park of a new gasser.... and at that age it might have the engine broken in already to get the best milage, then do some minor updates to it to personalize it.... if you choose. This way you are getting the deisel for the better ride and fancier interior (ei ceramic tile floors,larger storage, washer dryer ect) and it wouldn't cost you the fortune and immediate depreciation of a new gasser, nevermind.... the deisel might outlive the gasser by a few hundred thousand miles, or just simply buy the gasser because it's brand new, you like it more than any other coach in your price point, and it suits your own wants and needs....I think the fuel costs are a moot point, I pulled a 34 ft fifth wheel with a v-10 gasser and my fuel costs were within $200.00 on the same 2500 mile trip.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #33
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
You can't beat a DP I seldom here of a DP owner switching to gas. DP got the gassers beat hands down.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
for what it's worth, oil prices in the last hour---

Also FWIW, some economist is predicting summer oil prices in the 80'.s... works for me.
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
In my case I look at a gas A getting 8 MPG and my DP getting 10.
Agreed, I'm in the middle of negotiations for an upgrade to a Newmar Dutch Star and it's stated to get between 10 and 12 depending. My best in my gasser is 8.1mpg.

2 to 4 mpg over 100 gallons really makes up the difference per gallon we are seeing between diesel and gas in the Chicago area.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The gas mileage is a moot point. Fuel costs on a trip will be very close on both. You can buy a new DP FOR 175k, but if you really want to save money do this.

Buy an 8 year old mini van, take out seats,build a conversion inside for sleeping and storage. Small tv on dash. That's what I did in 1998, and traveled around the country for 4 months. Got over 20mpg and I did it on 1500 a month. The van and materials cost about 4000.

If we are looking at economy, that was the most fun I ever had
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #37

Gas Buddy Prices

According to gas buddy, Regular Unleaded is $3.72 about a mile from me and Diesel is $3.74 about 2.8 miles from me. I haven't seen prices that close in a long time.

That's in Denver, BTW.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #38

I have posted this before, some of you have already heard this before. I have owned 4 motorhomes, 3 gassers, and the diesel I have now. If I could have owned this one first, I wouldn't have had to own the other three, it's that much better.
I love my diesel!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gas went from 3.839 to 4.049 over the weekend. We put $100 of diesel in Sunday at 4.329, now it's 4.499, Guess we should have dug deeper and put more diesel in on Sunday!! And today is only Monday!! I need at least another 75 gallons to fill up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
As I am getting ready to drive around the country, thanks a million $$$$
I don't think it'll cost you THAT much!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Heard on the news yesterday that the price of oil dropped last week, which has no apparent relation to the increase in the price of gas around here last week. Doesn't make sense to me.
Gas went up 16 cents a gallon this weekend. They say it's due to two refineries being off line and a third not starting up as scheduled! I think it was on purpose to keep the prices up rather than floating downwards.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #42

I think it's all relative and people's taste differ! My wife and I rented RV's for 4 years before we bought. During that four years we rented 8 DP's and one class C. The class C was the 7th rental. It was the worst driving experience I have ever had. However, if I had rented the Class C first I probably wouldn't have had a problem with it. We were just absolutely spoiled with DP....like i said it's all relative!

When it was time to buy I wouldn't even consider anything other than a DP!! Lucky for us there were many great deals to be had when we bought! Whatever one buys - if it gets you into the lifestyle and it works for you (Gasser,DP, TT), It doesn't really matter at the end of the day as long as you enjoy it!!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas