Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #43

Back around that timeframe I was looking for a DP. After lots of research, I concluded Newmar and Tiffin were in the mid-price range I could have afforded and built very good units. I have no opinion, however, on which chassis is better..
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #44

Like you, but back three years. I wanted a short DP. Test drove many, and spent hours on the road looking for the right one. I ended up with a 36'. The extra 4' all goes into the wheelbase, with double amount of outside storage. If your going to be driving as much as you say, go with a 36'. One thing you can't predict is the weather, and you don't want it to be making your travel plans for you.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #45

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 98 HR Endeavor is a nicely built rig. Had / has some problems but it is 37 ft on a Freightliner chassis with a cummins isb 5.9 275hp motor. Plenty of power on hills towing a Honda CR-V. Had a guy with a newer rig blow by me towing a jeep. 5 miles later he was crawling up a hill and i blew by him on cruise control.

Inside is well built with a full wall kitchen slide. Bedroom is tighter than I like but we are very comfortable.

I have to replace grey tank valve, fix a leaking hwh jack, and service batteries. After an expensive fuel leak that is about it. Nice rig. Other diesels pass me and I don't feel it.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #46

For those with 98-02 Cummings 5.9's, do you have the #53 block or were not all during those years built with that block?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
For those with 98-02 Cummings 5.9's, do you have the #53 block or were not all during those years built with that block?
Not sure if I have the 53 block or not. How would I find out? I have heard of the thin block wall issue for those made down in Mexico or somewhere down that way, but no issues so far with mine.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Not sure if I have the 53 block or not. How would I find out? I have heard of the thin block wall issue for those made down in Mexico or somewhere down that way, but no issues so far with mine.

Cummins' Fatal Flaws - Diesel Power Magazine
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #49

In a search holding pattern now....headed to Manitoba in Wanda next week. The search will resume in a couple of weeks..........
Old 07-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #50

you might like at a travel supreme
RT 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #51

LOVE the 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge we bough three years ago. The quality is unbelievable, compared to most MH's.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #52

Found and bought a 2002 dual slide 32 ft country coach with the 350 engine with only 16,000 miles on it. Climbs mountains like a scared rabbit good fuel mileage and handles great for such a short wheelbase . Had to do a fair amount of work converting to flat tv's,fixing the water connections,shower valves ,refrigerator internals, step etc. but I couldn't pass on it for $48,000. Great coach in my opinion.
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #53

OP - Lots of input here, and here is a bit more!

Pick your budget range, do reserve some funds for catch up maintenance and minor modifications to make it our coach.

Then go look, online (PPL does a good job of pictures and floor plans, and look under the sold sections too.) and hit a few larger dealers to go kick some tires.

Make a list of Must Have's and Nice to Have's that matters to the two of you. Narrow down your target coaches to manufacture, models and years that you feel matches what the two of you want.

Then go shopping.

IMO, drop years to remain within budget range, and buy the highest quality coach that you can. I'd rather have a few years older Monaco Signature or Executive, then a Diplomat. (Just and example naming those two.).

Higher end coaches, usually have higher end chassis (Spartan and Freightliner and Roadmaster - come in many different levels of quality and components.)

A short list of manufactures and models that we had narrowed our search down to (Which may not at all match what you two come up with!):
-Alpine
-Beaver (Patriot Thunder was the sweet spot for us, but also looked at Marquis)
-Monaco (Executive/Signature (And the Holiday Rambler Equivalent.)
-Newmar (Mountain Aire and above. Though we liked the Mountain Aire, as it had less 'bling'.)
-Foretravel (U270, U295, U320)
-Country Coach (Allure, Intrigue, Monaco - Intrigue seemed to be the sweet spot for us in the model line up. As it had the optional CAT C12 available.)
-Travel Supreme

We also liked the hard to find Tripple E, and Rexhall had a very safe DP, with the T-Rex slides. So this makes smaller length coaches much more easier to live in.). We also saw several National DP's that we felt were, like the Rexhall, very good bang for the bucks!

Ended up with the 40' Allure, because my DW loved the non slide kitchen (More overhead cabinet space without the slide.) - so Happy Wife was more important then me getting the BIG BLOCK engine I preferred. (The mid size ISL does fine in this coach, but the C12 or C13 in an Intrigue or Magna, would have pleased me more. Yes for the power, but more so for the larger block's Braking Horsepower of the Jake Compression.)

The danger of going out shopping before you two have your short list - is you could come home with a coach that you later regret buying.

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OP - Lots of input here, and here is a bit more!

A short list of manufactures and models that we had narrowed our search down to (Which may not at all match what you two come up with!):
-Alpine
-Beaver (Patriot Thunder was the sweet spot for us, but also looked at Marquis)
-Monaco (Executive/Signature (And the Holiday Rambler Equivalent.)
-Newmar (Mountain Aire and above. Though we liked the Mountain Aire, as it had less 'bling'.)
-Foretravel (U270, U295, U320)
-Country Coach (Allure, Intrigue, Monaco - Intrigue seemed to be the sweet spot for us in the model line up. As it had the optional CAT C12 available.)
-Travel Supreme

We also liked the hard to find Tripple E, and Rexhall had a very safe DP, with the T-Rex slides. So this makes smaller length coaches much more easier to live in.). We also saw several National DP's that we felt were, like the Rexhall, very good bang for the bucks!

Happy hunting,
Smitty
This would be my shopping list too (but probably under 40') including the Triple E Empress.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #55

Triple e
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #56

We searched for over a year for our 36' DP. Ended up with an 05 Foretravel with 400hp Cummins. Highly recommend Foretravel. Motorhomes of Texas has a good selection of quality motorhomes in your price range. Good Luck in your search.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote