Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

If you were in the market for a 1992-1996 DP, What would you buy?

Hi all,
Total noob here. I am toying with the idea of entering the world of the motor coach. I currently own a travel trailer. I know that I want a 32-36 foot DP with a fiberglass roof and no slides, but dont have ton of money. I am in the 20-30K range.

If you were in my shoes, knowing what you know, what would you buy and why?

I know this is really general, but i need insight on things like chassis, engine, preference on make, quality of build etc.

Thanks for your help.
3charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
If you buy in those years, no matter the brand, your not likely to get any slideouts, and believe me they make a huge difference. If you start at 97 you can most likely get a living room slide. A little more searching will find such a rig that won't cost much more than the years you are showing.

You might look at fleetwoods, vectra, overland, and allegro just to mention a few.
Good luck in your search and try looking in all the forums that have classifieds.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I was in an older Monaco at an estate sale so.....something like this. You would have $10,000 left for gas and repairs.

1994 Monaco Executive 38' 300HP Diesel Luxury RV Motorhome
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Little bigger and more expensive but in the same neighborhood.....

1994 MONACO CROWN ROYALE MOTOR HOME SIGNATURE SERIES MOTORHOME DIESEL PUSHER
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would stick with Beaver, Monaco, Tiffin or Holiday Rambler. Regardless of the brand you still have to do your homework, inspect everything and get a friend or trusted source who can handle the chassis and engine inspection. Your looking at 18 plus year old equipment so you have to expect some problems. I would stay under 100k miles if possible and as few previous owners as possible. How it has been stored is really important. Remember to check the DOT date on the tires. Anything over 6-8 years probably needs replaced regardless of tread wear. The more receipts for work done the seller has, the better. If your lucky you will get the Owners Manual plus as many other equipment manuals available. Good Luck.
Bludiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #6

Not so much what brand but what features.
Air breaks
Air ride
Side radiator
Fiberglass roof
Newer tires
No delamination
Maintained records
These are some of the things I'd look for. Good luck there are a lot of good coaches out there. At that age I think only the top brands will still be in really good shape.

John
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

Two years ago, we bought a nice 1998 Monaco Windsor for $20K. No slides and EDPM roof, but it does have dual pane windows, diesel generator, air bag suspension, Cummins-Allison, almost new tires, full body paint. Very attractive floorplan and in excellent shape. Maintenance was up-to-date. At fifty yards, it could pass for new. Up close, it looks single digits. I would have preferred a fiberglass roof, but it was not a deal-breaker for me.

We found it on Craigslist. Three things made it happen. First, I called within a few minutes after they lowered the price significantly. Second, I assured them I was a cash sale, and could be there in fifteen minutes to see it. (They had already scheduled another showing in 30 minutes.) Third, we were patient when they needed a week to deal with their finance company.

No real mechanical issues other than routine maintenance, a squeaky furnace fan, and a broken ice maker line, fatigued from exposure.

No regrets concerning buying used, our price range, or the lack of a slide.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #8

Condition, condition, condition! A poorly maintained luxury coach will be worse than a well-kept low end unit at 20+ years.

I know you said you want diesel, but make sure you can afford the higher costs to maintain and repair the diesel. It's not massively more in general, but when I see people concerned about purchase cost, I do worry.

Your budget would allow you a much newer gasoline coach, and you might want consider that.

Steve
Old 04-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

I'd look at (and did) Beaver, Monaco Crown Royale/Dynasty and Country Coach. My heart was set on a Beaver from mid 90's but everyone I found someone would sneak in and buy it. "Settled" for my 96 Country Coach Intrigue for $30,000. Awesome shape, kept indoors, and all records. They are out there, may take up to a year too find it... Good luck..😜

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #10

Foretravel or Country Coach.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #11

Beaver, Country Coach, Foretravel would be in the two three of the years you mentioned. Like the higher end Monaco's too.

As mentioned, condition, condition, condition. Pride of ownership. Documentation.

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #12

An American Eagle.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #13

Country Coach, of course!
http://m.rvtrader.com/dealers/PPL-Mo...Y-40-114595040
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3charter View Post
I know that I want a 32-36 foot DP with a fiberglass roof and no slides, but dont have ton of money. I am in the 20-30K range.
Take a look at the DPs currently for sale at PPL Motorhomes to get a good idea of what's available in your price range.

Also look at what DPs actually sold for at PPL Motorhomes.

Before you purchase a used DP, see if service and parts are available for it. You don't want to end up paying more for parts than what you paid for the DP itself.

Finally, for $20-$30K you'll probably be buying a 10-year-old or greater DP. Even though the engine, chassis, and transmission should be in good shape, other things may be showing their age -- ACs, fridge, etc -- and may need to be replaced.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote