Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #43

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadchris83 View Post
So, not only is this my first motorhome, it will be the longest road trip I have ever been on. I have had a TT for about 3 years and the furthest trip I've ever been on was 200 miles away. I haven't even taken my MH out camping yet to christen her. My rig has 53k miles on it, but this is a whole new world to me. I have driven it around town and in traffic and feel comfortable, but I am still weary about driving from Ventura CA to Kalispell MT. I have my route picked out and reservations for 5 nights on the way up.

I tried to keep my daily driving to 200-300 miles a day. Would this be too much? I'm going to take my time, I just don't know if I will be fully prepared!

Guess what I'm saying is, I hope my MH does good on the road. Can any of you guys who have done long trips like this add to anything I should bring? i.e.. extra motor oil, radiator fluid, tools etc.....

Besides all of that, we are super excited to get on the road!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am bringing MH to get alignment and suspension service a few days before I leave, as well as changing oil etc...
Big step - think it would be SMART to at least spend the night somewhere close before you leave on the trip. Just enough to flush out any problems.

Even if just to the Local Wal*Mart to check everything out.

You are likely to find after the first day that your Milage allowance is really easy and it will allow you to get completely checked out on the unit.

Most important things to be sure you have is $$ in the Bank and a good CC and Cell Phone.

Let us know how the trip progresses.

BOL

Busskipper
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Set up a Punch List and go through it every stop and start. That way you don't forget anything.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #45

Rexhall Owners Group
With our first motorhome, we didn't know to be nervous. Packed the family in, and drove straight away from Seattle to Denver. Tire age? Didn't even know to check it. It was a 25 year old, well used Winnebago. It had an Alaska State Park sticker on it, so, I figured it it made it to Alaska and back, making a round trip to Denver was a cakewalk.

No duct tape, no extra nuts and bolts. Did take some oil and antifreeze. Changed belts, hoses, and did the brakes, and that was it.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a great trip!
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
We pretty much did the same thing in our new to us 1998 33' gasser with a 454 with 56k miles on it. First trip totaled 2500 round trip from Indiana to the south Florida gulf coast and back. I would recommend if this rig has been sitting for a while that you change or at least check ALL of the fluids. We did a clean out oil change followed by another oil change, had the brake fluid bled and replaced, transmission flushed and fluid filter replaced, wheel bearings packed. I checked the anti freeze with my hydrometer and it was good so I passed that one. New spark plugs were needed as well as chassis lube. I also had new shocks and air springs put on and the brakes inspected. I just had a front end alignment done as I did not before our maiden voyage. Only thing left is new steer tires (Saturday) and replacing the rear differential oil. Sounds like an easy trip and one you will enjoy. We took 3 days down and 3 days back on the Florida trip so about 400 per day. Safe travels my friend.
A good list, IMHO.

We recently bought a 93 26' Flair with 40k on it that I'm getting ready for a 8k mile trip this Summer. I'm basically doing all the things on the above list plus some other things that just needed to be done.

I do all my own maintenance and usually carry a full set of tools along with most of the items already mentioned. In somewhere between 300k and 400k miles of cross country travel there have only been three or four times that I had to work on the rig to get going again. If it is well maintained there is only a very slim chance you will have any problems.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned that I always do is to look under the vehicle after stopping and before leaving in the morning for leaks of any kind. I also give the tires a visual check after stopping and check the wheel bearing temps. If I am towing I always check the hitch connections and lights before starting out in the morning and the connections each time we stop.

We usually travel 6-700 miles per day on interstates and significantly less on highways

Have a wonderful trip!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 AM   #47

All good advice abov e. Your 460 is a good motor, I would imagine it is hooked up to a C-6 transmission. Solid setup from Ford. As long as your radiator, belts and oil levels are good, and tires, you'll be just fine. One big difference you'll notice driving in a motor home compared to a TT is that your family can get up and use the restroom and grab a cool drink without having to stop.

Enjoy and have fun.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #48

You're in luck. Head to the Rincon, spend a night or two dry camping, run generator and a/c or try Hobson or Faria with full hook ups and test all the systems. Nice scenery, close to home if you need anything and reasonably priced sites. That's where we have always done our first nights and many more after that.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #49

One cautionary word about harbor freight hose clamps. Leave them on the shelf. They are as soft as taffy when you tighten them and always strip before they are as tight as I want them. Otherwise most hf stuff is at least usable.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by John USA View Post
With our first motorhome, we didn't know to be nervous. Packed the family in, and drove straight away from Seattle to Denver. Tire age? Didn't even know to check it. It was a 25 year old, well used Winnebago. It had an Alaska State Park sticker on it, so, I figured it it made it to Alaska and back, making a round trip to Denver was a cakewalk.

No duct tape, no extra nuts and bolts. Did take some oil and antifreeze. Changed belts, hoses, and did the brakes, and that was it.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a great trip!
I feel better now

I'm pretty sure I am ready now. I just recieved my first aid kit from Amazon, got extra oil, duct tape, hose clamps, coachnet coverage and 0 balance credit card
So pumped!
Loadchris83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #51

Pre planning...

We live on the east coast of Flordia. Just returned from a 5000 mile trip to southern Utah. We have a 33 foot gasser and tow a enclosed car trailer. I have a full built up spare for coach and trailer. On the second day out in a rest area on I-10 still in Flordia while walking around the rig I discovered a sheet metal screw in one of the trailer tires. I started the generator, plugged in the air compressor and got my tire plug kit out. The DW came out to hold tools and assist. I had that tire plugged in less than 10 minutes. We sat there another ten minutes to make sure the tire stayed up. The truck driver parked next to us watched the whole event. He told me he was impressed. Because of our rigs combination length getting fuel is always an issue. We always started the day by preplanning our fuel stops. Flying J was always first choice. I got pressed into a couple of tight fuel stops where I had to back the rig out. I will also say except for Flordia the Interstates (I-10 and I-40) were terrible. We went as far west as Vegas. We boondocked two nights and the rest were in military rv parks. It was a wonderful trip but I do understand your nervousness. Be prepared but have a good time...
xflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadchris83 View Post
Because I have never done this trip before and figured HWY 93 to Twin Falls would be less stressful than freeway driving. From Twin Falls I plan on taking 84/86-I15-Hwy20 to W Yellowstone. I wouldn't mind driving the boonies on 93. Interstates are kind of nerve racking. We just wanted to take our time, we are in no rush. Just want to get in the road and stop when we want to stop.

I tend to keep to interstates because should something go wrong the phone service and availability of support services is much better. FWIW
Old 05-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #53

Alpine Owners Club
You don't say how old your Bounder is, I assume with 56k miles it is at least 10 years old, so I would also get all the hoses checked, or changed, they deteriorate over time and tend to fail at the worst possible time. This also applies to tires, if they are over 7 years old, replace them, you have a lot of weight and loved ones riding on them. You will find a "born on" date stamped on the tire, week of the year and the year they were manufactured (wwyy). We carry a serpentine belt and an alternator belt (only belts on the engine) with us so if something happens we are not waiting for parts. As previously suggested spare oil (both engine and hydraulic, if required), coolant, fuses, bulbs, etc.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
You don't say how old your Bounder is, I assume with 56k miles it is at least 10 years old, so I would also get all the hoses checked, or changed, they deteriorate over time and tend to fail at the worst possible time. This also applies to tires, if they are over 7 years old, replace them, you have a lot of weight and loved ones riding on them. You will find a "born on" date stamped on the tire, week of the year and the year they were manufactured (wwyy). We carry a serpentine belt and an alternator belt (only belts on the engine) with us so if something happens we are not waiting for parts. As previously suggested spare oil (both engine and hydraulic, if required), coolant, fuses, bulbs, etc.
97 Bounder with 53k miles. Tires are 2 years old. Hoses looked good to me. Thanks for advice.
Loadchris83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #55

We started out with 5th wheel. Took a few small trips than took it to Texas for a month,Well the short time we did this we went threw 4 tranes. Well i said thats it and we traded it for 33 ft motor home. WE than went to Arizona for two months, not to bad, we had a enjoyable trip.Than this past year we went to Tucson for thee months and and ended up tradeing up to a 37 ft Winnebago, Its like Heaven. One thing I learned is keep a distance fromthe vehical ahead of ya. Getting into gas pumps is kinda a problem so ya need to plan ahead
DakotaSatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #56

Lots of good advice here, one thing you may want to consider is a set of rvminders. Basically a "snap band" that attach to the steering wheel. Good reminders while getting used to your coach. DW thought I was crazy the first few times I used them, but I never left an antenna up.

Being retired, we drive 200-300 miles per day. If you are in a hurry, you're doing it wrong. JMHO
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote