Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 04:30 AM   #1

I'm lost but I'm making good time.

Hello! I'm new here. Nice Forum! My husband and I are ready to travel. I've been shopping online for a diesel pusher motorhome for several days, almost non-stop. So much fun! BUT I'm lost. I have made progress, thus the title of this article, but I'm still confused. So much to think about and consider. I think you knowledgeable folks can help. The MAIN item I want/need is one that will sleep 8. I love the idea of the over the cockpit bunk and the salon bunks. I need a king size in the master also, as well as a bath and 1/2. Any ideas? Next question: Is a 10 gallon hot water heater sufficient? Does it reheat fast? With a big group, is it a hassle to have to wait on it? I'm looking at Entegra Motor Coaches. Sure would be nice to get one with that tankless water heater. -sigh- Next question: I thought the new 2017 Entegra Aspire 44R would sleep 8, but so far, everyone I've asked, even in the dealerships, doesn't know! I know Entegra and Newmar (in our price range) are built well. Any others that you particularly LOVE and would suggest we take a look at? Thanks for any help. Oh...where should we go on our first trip? We live in East Texas.
calasiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get a lot of input here. You can get all the layouts of the Entegras and Newmars on their websites and then make individual threads on those forum section here with specific questions or ideas. Most will be able to tell you about their hot water capabilities as they vary.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:11 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You'll need an aquahot or similar... Regular water heater won't cut it...
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Highly recommend you get a coach with Aqua Hot....pretty much endless hot water.

Entegra and Newmar both make quality rigs. However, not sure any class A DP of any brand will easily sleep 8 without some modifications. Newmar will customize a floor plan, Entegra will not (at least that is my understanding from folks owning those two brands posting on IRV2).

If you can find/get a floor plan with queen or king bed, two bunks, two sofas (one sleeper sofa) and dinette you could do it. Dinettes generally make into a smaller bed so ok for kids, not great for adults.

In your floor plan selection, think about what 8 people will do stuck inside a 300+/- sg ft. space on a rainy day or weekend.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #5

FWIW if you are thinking 8 adult sized people you have a problem. Any MH will be very crowded. If you are in any kind of hurry the campground showers will be faster for the tribe. Most units really only seat 4 for a meal and can get interesting when cooking for many more than that. Then you also need seat belts for the crew. If you are talking little people then it's anchor points for their seats. Solve those problems and it will narrow the field significantly.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:08 AM   #6

Yikes! 8? The most we've seen in our 6yrs. of full time is 7 and 3 dogs in a 40' Newmar Dutch Star. I'm not sure I could do it, but hey, they were having fun. I think for short vacations of say 1-2wks. it would be survivable. Any longer than that I'd probably have to be locked up.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #7

I can't imagine traveling in a motorhome with eight people. I have done it with six, but two were young children. At night we stopped at motels and two adults got a room. That took the load off of the bathroom in the mornings and allowed some room to move around in the evening. If you find one that will accommodate eight, even if four are children, it will be cozy. Good luck.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

We have 4 kids, married. One of those families has 4 kids, so thus the need to have one for 8 to sleep. Thanks for all the input!
calasiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

WOW! I can't imagine 8 people in a MH!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think if I were in that situation, my kids would have been happy to sleep out in a tent on the site while the adults would sleep in the camper. As a child, my folks took us around the country... there were 5 total in a little Excell pull behind camper. Mom and dad either slept in the back of the station wagon on a foam they kept there with the seat down, and 1 of us girls were on the dinette made into a bed, and the other 2 on the couch that pulled out to make a bed. Sometimes, we all slept in the camper... mom and dad on the couch pulled out , and 2 on the dinette, and one slept on the floor beside the pulled out couch. However, that person got their sleep disturbed when everyone would step over them to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night...

Here's a thought, if you aren't towing a car, you could tow a bumper pull camper behind the motor home for extra sleep space. I doubt you will find enough spots to anchor everyone during travel so it seems like someone will need to drive a vehicle anyway....

Then there are the diesel trucks pulling huge campers... all said and done, they look like a semi truck with deluxe accommodations... but those are mostly custom done I believe. I can't imagine the trials of trying to get the weight down with all the stuff that would need to be brought along for so many people...good luck in your search!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Today's RVs really are not made to transport, not alone sleep eight people. We used to won a Thor Palazzo and the configuration would have slept 8. Two over the driver cabin, two on the fold out couch, two on the converted dinette and two in the queen bed in the back. But man, it would have been crowded. And I would certainly not recommend a Thor product under any circumstances - ours was total crap.

I would rather use an additional tent to sleep 4 of the kids. Traveling down the road is another issue - there just aren't enough seat belts in an RV.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #12

FWIW I think you are making a mistake thinking you will all live together. Camp together, travel places separately together as in swap people around for sleeping and traveling but trying to put everyone in the same smallish space for long periods of time is asking for trouble. Use a tent or some other way to let the group split so you can take the kids and give the parents a break or let the kids sleep together and the adults get a break. Set up an outside kitchen so two cooks can work or one party can sleep in while the other rolls out early. Figure the camp ground bathrooms into your plans. Overall things will go a lot better. If you hit a bad weather situation then roll out a couple of sleeping pads for the kids, then it will be an adventure. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #13

I think what you are asking is for a MH that can sleep up to 8 if all your kids(and Grandkids) were to go on a trip with you. It is very doable and we are in the same boat as you. When it comes down to it, you need to pick a MH that is for you and your Husband, and then find ways to make accommodations when the others travel with you. They can always follow you in their own vehicles, bring tents, get the site next to you ect., while everyone uses your MH as the center for the camping trip. There will also be times when you just take the Grandkids, and maybe not everyone. Just make sure that the MH can safely carry everyone, seatbelts ect. We do this all the time and it works out, but now we are helping our Kids to look for an RV so that we can all go together in comfort.

As far as looking for a MH, it is way more complicated than looking for a new car. There are just too many Brands and variables so you have to take your time, do your research, and then make the purchase. When we moved up to our MH, even though we have been RV'ing and Boating for 40+ years, we spent almost two years researching, and looking before we bought. But in the end we bought a MH we love rather than just something to get us by, meets all our needs, and we will keep for a long time.

My suggestion would be to do your research on IRV2, read about all the Brands, what people like/don't like about them, quality issues, floorplans, how they are treated before and after the sale ect. Then go out and look at and drive as many as you can. You will see what people are talking about as well as develop what qualities are important to you, it's different for everyone. The big issue for you will be floorplan and sleeping room. You will need to see them in person with the slide in and out to get a feel for what will work best for you. Don't let the salesman lead you in any direction or jump at any deal, take your time they all look great sitting on the lot.

If you do it this way you will know when you have found the right combination of size, floorplan, quality, and price, that best fits your needs. If you try to do it all based on line or by what others recommend you will feel confused and lost in the process. Like I said buy what works for you and your Husband as you may find that it will be used more by just the two of you than everyone coming along. The kids/grandkids will have work, school, sports ect that may limit their available time.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with Newmar(of course I'm biased), and remember looking for one is half the fun of buying one.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We think two is a great number for traveling in a motor home. Most RVs don't even have 8 seats rated for travel. Our Dynasty has five sets of seat belts--driver, passenger and three on the couch.