Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

Improvement Ideas

Sorry no photos. I have had the list for a while, and wanted to share with you!

My quick list of our simple RV improvements:

1. I mounted two small metal baskets on the wall over the kitchen sink for the sponge and soap dispensers. Got clutter off the counter. Baskets from Lowe’s.

2. We replaced a desk we no longer used with a cabinet. (Real wood, matched the cabinetry, $10 from a thrift store.) Now have a basket on top for keys, misc pocket stuff, binoculars, etc. Inside is storage for the shoes that typically cluttered the entry area.

3. On a previous RV, we replaced the so-so central vacuum system with a tiny shop vac from Lowe’s. Dramatic improvement in performance, and I could easily remove it from the RV bay for cleaning it.

4. We bought some imitation Alaskan wood carvings to put on the walls. Looks more like a personal space and less like every other RV. Bedroom, bath, living area, even at the helm!

5. We put up a dry-erase bulletin board. Good place for grocery reminders, and for the oil change reminder!

6. I applied Rain-X to the inside of the shower door. This stuff is much better than you remember. It helps to keep it clean. Better, the water runs off quickly, so there is no longer a huge puddle on the floor when the shower door is opened after a shower.

7. We replaced the old mattress with a memory foam mattress from (Walmart, Amazon, etc.) I shortened it to fit with an electric turkey knife. MUCH better!

8. I discovered that, with thirty seconds and a drill, I could install the $9 windshield wipers from Walmart, instead of the $60 truck style.

9. I added a decent altimeter. When the coach starts to feel sluggish, I can instantly decide if it is an external cause.

10. I replaced the ugly bordello bedroom sconces with some nice and cheap LED reading lights.

11. The fabric-covered headboard looked as “whore-y” as the lights. A prefinished shelf from the home store and a few screws to replace it. A more modern look!

12. We never turned the bedroom TV on. I pulled it, lined the cavity, and we now have a bookshelf, which we DO use. Bonus was an easily accessed outlet for the vacuum and etc.

13. The driver’s visor was a joke. I replaced it with a 12x30 wood visor with a flip-down sunscreen. Total cost was about $30.

14. I installed turn signals about half way between the low clearance lights and the mirrors. It seems to help in getting a space to change lanes.

15. I found a GREAT paper towel dispenser on Amazon. It has a ratchet in it which prevents the towels from self-dispensing while driving.

16. I replaced the dash radio for one with a USB input. Half a zillion songs, just hit shuffle and ready for a long trip.

17. We never used the TV antenna. I was tired of tripping on it when I was on top, so I removed it.

18. After reflecting on what could happen to me if one of the dogs stepped on the brake release while I was hooking up the car, I bought a 50 cent PVC pipe cap to keep over the button.

19. Non-contact thermometers are around $20 now. Buy one to check your tires.

20. We never used the inside step cover. Removed it and threw it away. Have not missed it.

21. We bought flat, fabric-covered clothes hangers – more storage and clothes stay on them better.

22. Our inverter sucked the batteries down in less than a night, and would not operate the coffee maker. We bought a DC phone charger, and just plain turned the inverter off. Have not missed it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!