Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 02:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Both on Amazon.com, The hook style ladders are available in 5 - 1/2 feet for sure maybe even longer.
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 02:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
The fire suppression system is about the size of a soda can. It is mounted with a bicycle drink holder, and yes it is a tight fit, did see one it would not work in. Mac when he does his class says you can even spray yourself with the foam, may give you a few more seconds, then licks/tastes it on his arm to show it is safe. He also has a system that has just the spray sensor head in behind the refer and the bottle mounted near by. Looks like you get a better deal at his presentation. price online $210 and I got the horizontal one.

My Business - Home

Here is a link

LEN
I'm curious if these things have actually been tested and that they indeed did put out fires caused by these fridges. Or "tester caused fires" behind fridges in RVs. There doesn't seem to be any guidelines concerning them or info on real tests that were done, where the tests were done and by who. I'm not concerned with the foam being toxic, but that something that small can put out a fire. That's why I would like to see the info on tests done. See something solid if you know what I mean.... .... I can't seem to turn up any other info on them.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:21 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My motorhome has a exit window on the side in the rear bedroom. Although it is decent sized it would be a head first drop of about 6+ feet if we had to use it. Poor design.

That exit window is close to a HUGE rear window in that bedroom. Also within inches of the huge rear window is the ladder at the rear of the camper. So I think to my self.......why did the manufacturer not make the rear window the exit window? Its big and has a ladder.

So I keep a hammer in a rear cabinet (next to a fire extinguisher). If there is ever a fire that big back window WILL be my exit window.
Magilla1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #18

We were discussing our bedroom emergency exit on our last trip.

First, I have to agree it is surprising how challenging it would be to get out most of the emergency exits in RVs quickly and safely, and we are probably younger and smaller than most RVers. On our next trip, I want to spend more time evaluating how we would get out, and ensure we can get the emergency widow open.

I have put a small fire extinguisher in the bedroom, and will proabably add a larger one. And I actually think this is probably the best thing to do, as it is my guess (and I may be completely wrong here), that in most cases, your fastest and safest exit is still going to be through your main door, and a larger fire extinguisher may be able to help you get there.

As a side note, and more specifically to the OP and her concern about sleeping in the bedroom. Humans have a tendency to focus on things that have a low probability of impacting us, while ignoring completely the things that have higher probabliity because we don't want to deal with them or change our behaviors. There are 100s of things we all do each day that have a higher probabliity of killing us, than a fire in our RVs (just driving your car is more risky, then compound that by talking on your cell phone while driving your car which probably tops the list of risky behavior people do every day; and I would bet choking to death on your lunch has a higher probability of killing you, not to mention ignoring diet and exercise).

While it is certainly prudent to be aware of the risk and try to effectively address it, I would not obsess over it. As I understand it, the Dometic fridge certainly adds to this fire risk, and replacing it would probably be a high priority to do if this is becoming a significant concern, while adding a good fire extinguisher in the bedroom would be the first thing I would do.

Regards, and safe travels!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
1200 Norcold

There was a recall on the 1200 Norcold refrigerators on the older models, I'm not sure about the newer ones.

Well I was at the service department I asked the guy about why are all the RV fires are by the refrigerator side and that's when he told me about the recall.

Thankfully he took the time to look at it for me to be sure.

I had the 900 series but I'm now going to install the SS-30 to be safe.
JustJoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #20

Wise advice Betr.2trvl
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #21

You might look at one of the rope, escape ladders, such as First Alert EL52-2 Two-Story 14-Foot Escape Ladder - Emergency Ladders - Amazon.com

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla1835 View Post
My motorhome has a exit window on the side in the rear bedroom. Although it is decent sized it would be a head first drop of about 6+ feet if we had to use it. Poor design.
It is a poor design. Most are from what I gather. They're not thinking of safety but more for eye appeal. I don't like that the passenger side has no door either.

Quote:
That exit window is close to a HUGE rear window in that bedroom. Also within inches of the huge rear window is the ladder at the rear of the camper. So I think to my self.......why did the manufacturer not make the rear window the exit window? Its big and has a ladder.

So I keep a hammer in a rear cabinet (next to a fire extinguisher). If there is ever a fire that big back window WILL be my exit window.
Those windows may be the shatterproof kind and not break easily with a hammer.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
You might look at one of the rope, escape ladders, such as First Alert EL52-2 Two-Story 14-Foot Escape Ladder - Emergency Ladders - Amazon.com

Joel
This is something better suited for a Class-A with it long drop from the emergency window to the ground. Thank you. I almost feel betrayed that one, they would use these fridges knowing the danger they pose, and two, have no door that people can escape from on either end should one go on fire. I have seen folks too old or disabled or heavy to ever make it out these so called "emergency" windows other than head first - if that. And as another poster already mentioned, some of these windows stick and it's difficult to get them open.

This is a hell of a thing to have to worry about in a "recreational" vehicle.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Once open are they easy to close again?
No, the ones I opened required a major slam to get them to lock closed again and you may have to do it from outside. Some say once open, they won't seal against the weather ever again, but I haven't found that.

As for dropping on to the ground, the usual design is hinged so won't, but there was one post that described one system that did drop out so you would have to take care it didn't drop right out, and make sure it was re-closable.

May have no choice but to get out the back window because the front might catch alight as it did in this case. Obviously well advanced by this stage, but the driver was standing nearby empty-handed so he didn't get much time to escape.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Wise advice Betr.2trvl
What is it?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
We were discussing our bedroom emergency exit on our last trip.

First, I have to agree it is surprising how challenging it would be to get out most of the emergency exits in RVs quickly and safely, and we are probably younger and smaller than most RVers. On our next trip, I want to spend more time evaluating how we would get out, and ensure we can get the emergency widow open.

I have put a small fire extinguisher in the bedroom, and will proabably add a larger one. And I actually think this is probably the best thing to do, as it is my guess (and I may be completely wrong here), that in most cases, your fastest and safest exit is still going to be through your main door, and a larger fire extinguisher may be able to help you get there.
This may well be true. Those that come with RVs are pitifully small. They're more for smaller fires like a wastebasket flareup or a kitchen towel that caught fire. But by the time there's smoke and flame from BEHIND the fridge, the walls have caught and they can't be reached unless the fridge is pulled out. That of course would be suicide to even try. This can all be avoided if the fridge mfgs made SAFE units instead of cutting every corner for the sake of profit. And if the RV mfgs DEMANDED they make safe fridges. Our Gov, so adamant about car safety, doesn't seem to care where RVs are concerned.

Quote:
As a side note, and more specifically to the OP and her concern about sleeping in the bedroom. Humans have a tendency to focus on things that have a low probability of impacting us, while ignoring completely the things that have higher probabliity because we don't want to deal with them or change our behaviors. There are 100s of things we all do each day that have a higher probabliity of killing us, than a fire in our RVs (just driving your car is more risky, then compound that by talking on your cell phone while driving your car which probably tops the list of risky behavior people do every day; and I would bet choking to death on your lunch has a higher probability of killing you, not to mention ignoring diet and exercise).
But THOSE are most likely the last people who would concern themselves with RV fires. THEY would not be in this thread. But I see your point.

Quote:
While it is certainly prudent to be aware of the risk and try to effectively address it, I would not obsess over it. As I understand it, the Dometic fridge certainly adds to this fire risk, and replacing it would probably be a high priority to do if this is becoming a significant concern, while adding a good fire extinguisher in the bedroom would be the first thing I would do.

Regards, and safe travels!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
No, the ones I opened required a major slam to get them to lock closed again and you may have to do it from outside. Some say once open, they won't seal against the weather ever again, but I haven't found that.

As for dropping on to the ground, the usual design is hinged so won't, but there was one post that described one system that did drop out so you would have to take care it didn't drop right out, and make sure it was re-closable.
Thanks for that info. I'm waiting for DH to get back to we can check that window in the SouthWind. Meanwhile - it's true they do stick. I checked the E.window in the NorthTrail TT and it did not easily open. It took a lot of pressure to get it open. A LOT of pressure. But the TT (which we're selling) has two doors so being trapped would be unlikely.

Quote:
May have no choice but to get out the back window because the front might catch alight as it did in this case. Obviously well advanced by this stage, but the driver was standing nearby empty-handed so he didn't get much time to escape.
The next time you're out in the west notice if you will all the areas on the roads where "something" long and large burned and left the evidence in the tarmac. I used to think this was uncommon, but I'm learning it is not uncommon at all but stats are hard to find.

This pic is so awful but I'm seeing more and more of them on FB and RV Groups and Forums. I so feel for the poor man mentioned who saved nothing but at least escaped and was OK. And look,... a newer RV no less. What will it take to make the fridge mfgs more responsible?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #28

A couple more thought / clarifications on my original note.

The OPs primary concern is getting out of the bedroom in the case of a fire. Again, put the entire situation into perspective. First, when you are using your RV you are only in your bedroom about 1/3 of the time, so that alone reduces the potential need to use the emergency window exit by 33% when you are using it. (And if you are not a full timer, you need to factor in your "occupancy rate" to figure out the impact of this fear on your life in general).

I will assume you have a smoke dectector, it works, and it is easily heard in any RV. My bet is that in almost all cases, when the detector goes off, the entire coach is not engulfed. Hence, my original assumption that the fastest, and safest way out, is still going to be theough your main door.

The reason for having a reasonable size extinguisher in the bedroom is NOT to fight the fire (just get out) but to try so suppress it enough to be able to get past any flames blocking your exit path to the main door.

As for the picture above, the obviously did not happen when all occupants of the coach were asleep, so not really relevant to the OPs concerns. In any case if you smell smoke in your RV, just get out "right now". On the other hand, getting out after a collision is actually more of a concern to me than a fire (again, my bet is there are more RV accidents in a year than there are RV fires).

So again, put your fears into perspective. Chances are significantly greater that you will not die from anything to do with your RV, much less being trapped in your bedroom in a fire. There are other things you can do everyday you should focus on to decrease those greater threats or increase your chance of living longer (like shutting off your cell phone when you are driving, or eating right and exercising).

Again , not trying to deny that the emergency exits are not a concern, and you need to think about how you would get out. But, if you are trapped in an engulfed RV in your bedroom, by the time you screw around with a ladder or rope, chances are you are not getting out anyway (sorry if that it a bit much). I told my wife I would shove her out one way or the other, and she better get out of the way once she hits the ground, because I'm following her right out that exit and not worrying about anything else (our drop is about 7 feet.....).
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote