Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

In Door Winter Storage on concert near Ann Arbor MI - Roof Vents open or closed?

Storage near Ann Arbor Michigan. Storing 37' Holiday Ramble Diesel Pusher at Chelsea Fair Grounds in un-insulated building with cement floor. I will use several dampness products to collect moisture during the Oct to April storage period.
Should I crack open the 3 roof vents or keep motor home closed up tight?
gbaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If no weather to get in it and dry wouldn't harm coach but your dampness products may not work as good with a closed coach.
i would also separate the tires from cement floor with a plywood sheet or plastic cutting board so no moisture can get in tires.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

Can I ask how much they are charging you? Do you have a web address or phone number?

Thanks
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
If no weather to get in it and dry wouldn't harm coach but your dampness products may not work as good with a closed coach.
i would also separate the tires from cement floor with a plywood sheet or plastic cutting board so no moisture can get in tires.
I have an option to store my coach on either a concrete, dirt, or gravel 'floor'. Is there a difference in effectiveness in any of the above?

(I am building a covered area to store the MH on my property and can make the 'floor' of any material)

Thanks
Whizzer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

Chelsea Fair Grounds
Chelsea Michigan

$12 per foot one time payment. Storage from Oct till early April indoors.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

I think I'd close it up. Here in Mi we get those wild temperature swings in the spring and fall. If it warms up after a particularly cold snap, water will condense on anything cold. That's pretty much OK on the outside of the coach, maybe not so cool (yes pun intended!) on stuff inside it?

To illustrate, I visited a plane I had stored in a hangar with both the planes doors wide open in one of these warm spells. I was absolutely shocked to see condensation literally running down the face of nearly everything in the instrument panel. Many thousands of dollars worth of very sensitive (expensive to repair) electronics!

Thankfully no harm done, but it taught me a lesson I'll never forget...
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Open Vents During Winter Storage

I leave mine open along with opening a couple of windows. I think the air circulation helps with the moisture issues.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #8

Closed. My shop is only heated when I'm working in it. I've got a lot of big heavy machines that rust more during the winter than summer because of wild temperature swings we get (I'm between Ann Arbor and Pontiac) and warm even moderately moist air doesn't do anything but condense on thousands of pounds of cold metal. Your coach will drip with moisture on those days like ahicks said, no sense letting it get inside.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your replies. I appreciate your thoughts and advice. Parked MH on foam sheets and closed all the vents tight. All systems are winterized too. Hope to not have to do this next year.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #10

Is that $12 per foot and that's the cost from Oct-April.

For instance:

38' MH X 12 = $456 for the duration of storage?
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, roof, storage, vent, winter