Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

In-line 50 amp surge protector needed?

Well, I was just looking at the in-line 50 amp surge protectors and being new to my Class A and RV parks, my question is:

Are they really needed? I am leaning to buy one....
gdlee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #2

Do you have Insurance on your RV?

A GODD surge Protector that tests L1 & L2 Voltage, tests Neutral & Ground, trips on LO or HI Voltage and has surge protection is Like Insurance

Not NEEDED until it is

We have a Portable 50A (hardwire unit are also available)
We traveled to numerous CGs and use it 'just in case'
It shut down power a couple times on Hi Voltage events
It shut down power a few times on Lo Voltage events
It didn't allow power to RV cause of power issues
It identified bad neutral at a couple of CGs
It identified bad ground issue
It even identified a Reverse Polarity issue one time

NEEDED.....I think so.
Lot cheaper then repairing/replace AC Equipment/Components in the RV
Just like Ins. Glad to have hope it isn't NEEDED
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #3

I traveled full time in my '94 Bounder with 30 amp without one for 10 years, finally bought one and installed it the last two years I owned that RV. But, I was always really careful about where I was plugging in, have a tester and all. Plus I'm electrically knowledgeable so I know what to watch out for.

Then when I bought this 50 amp rig, I knew I'd want one so I watched the Craigslist and darned if there wasn't one that came up just a couple months after I bought this RV. Saved $150 on a Progressive 50 amp model. It's the type that's installed in the basement...those at the shore power types tend to walk away even if they are locked.

And it saved my rig when I was down in Mexico that following winter. Some idiot drove in late at night and had something wrong with his RV's electric. Messed around with the parks power and caused a huge short that blasted out the electronic equipment all over the park. At least 6 of the RV'ers there had to replace equipment. But my rig only had one issue, the satellite SWiM box...but I had a spare. The Progressive dropped out fine and protected everything else. I was only one of two RVs that didn't have damage in the park that night. The SWiM failed a few days later so could have been a coincidence.

So YES, they are really needed. Get one. Get a USA made Progressive Ind. model. Excellent warranty...lifetime.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #4

Just last weekend we were at a campground in northern Maryland. We have a progressive industries 50 amp hardwired unit. Now bare in mind that your AC u it’s do not like low voltage. Ours tripped out o less than 15 times in two days. The first time L2 was reading 104 volts. 10 mins later, it did it again with 104 volts on L2. L1 was showing 111. I used an adapter to switch the 50 amp service to 30 amp (uses L1 only) 45 mi s later it tripped out for low voltage as well. I called the office and they recommended turning off the surge protector. NOPE. How about you fix your power problem. We won’t be going back there. That low voltage could have taken both the AC units out, at $1,500 each. Well worth the money for the surge protector.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #5

Hard wired or portable……get one!!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes you will need it sooner or later!
I prefer Progressive EMS. Portable unit but installed in basement for safe keeping and easy removal.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #7

Just purchased the Progressive EMS XL unit with lock. Thanks guys and gals!
gdlee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlee50 View Post
Just purchased the Progressive EMS XL unit with lock. Thanks guys and gals!
Two quick notes. Our Progressive portable unit went out and they sent us a new one and didn’t ask for us to return old unit. Very good lifetime warranty as was mentioned.
Second thing, make sure you use it in an upright position. Don’t know why, but a lot of folk don’t use it in the correct manner.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
It's the type that's installed in the basement...those at the shore power types tend to walk away even if they are locked.

So YES, they are really needed. Get one. Get a USA made Progressive Ind. model. Excellent warranty...lifetime.
Mine since 2008 has hung from pedestal W/O a lock and still using it
Never had anything but a six pack go missing in all my years camping/RVng

Why Portable........cause I had no good convenient location inside that I could access if needed
Portables don't go missing that often
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Two quick notes. Our Progressive portable unit went out and they sent us a new one and didn’t ask for us to return old unit. Very good lifetime warranty as was mentioned.
Second thing, make sure you use it in an upright position. Don’t know why, but a lot of folk don’t use it in the correct manner.

Both notable statements. Second is true but sometimes difficult depending on pedestal height and whether your using a 30A to 50A dogbone which adds length. Upright/vertical can be difficult dependent on these. . No problems encountered here tho.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #11

Our Progressive Dynamic EMS has saved our coach countless times, most recently at our last RV park in Idaho, which had voltage drop as temperature increased from this heat wave.
Park power would drop to 99 volts!
The park owner suggested I remove the Progressive Dynamic EMS in order to keep it from shutting down power to the RV.
Used the generator until pedestal voltage increased.
I just purchased a Hughes Autoformer with voltage boost to help with future voltage issues.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:33 AM   #12

On our most recent outing, the Progressive EMS protected our AC unit from low voltage. A good EMS unit is cheap insurance when you consider the cost of repairing or replacing the various appliances and gear that can be destroyed by an electrical problem.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:25 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't even think of using an RV without a good EMS type protection device!

I prefer the Progressive Industries HW50C or PT50X. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlee50 View Post
Well, I was just looking at the in-line 50 amp surge protectors and being new to my Class A and RV parks, my question is:

Are they really needed? I am leaning to buy one....
Like Old-Bisquit said: Everything is fine until it's not.

You don't need a Surge Protector, you want an EMS. An Electronic Management System. Portable or hard wired. Yes they are needed, unless your a gambling kinda guy and like taking risks.

A 50amp portable like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9MOY7B...street_dp_vv_d

Or a 50amp hard wired one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AN1UA8...street_dp_vv_d
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote