Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

In motion satellite

Does anyone have recent experience using in motion satellite in Western US? Does it maintain a signal or constantly loose reception as you travel?
DubGrpArctek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #2

We have not had much success with it and decided to go without it and get a free standing unit
Old 03-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #3

Depends on your unit. My Winegard RoadTrip Mission dome works perfectly out west on open roads. We use DISH Network set to Western Arc satellites. The only time we have problems is on heavily treed highways, or going under overpasses. That said, the closer you get to the Canada border the lower the elevation angle so if in northern Montana in the Rockies you could experience problems.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I totally disapprove of the concept of passengers watching TV while in motion. While I confess to watching lots of sat TV when parked at night, isn't the whole point of traveling in an RV to look out the windows and see the sights?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I totally disapprove of the concept of passengers watching TV while in motion.
Do your passengers get a vote?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

I have a in motion which I found not very good, every time you go up or down a hill or in a curve it’s constantly tracking. It also hurts my neck trying to watch (a joke).
Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #7

Our Winegard Roadtrip T4 paired with Dish Network works great from the East coast to the West coast. Signal is only lost if traveling a two lane highway that is lined with trees. There is always a few second lapse as we go under an overpass. If there are no obstructions, it does not lose reception.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
We watch Directv on a KVH dish and it works great when it can see the sky. Record lots of stuff and occasionally watch a live baseball game on long drives.
dfchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I totally disapprove of the concept of passengers watching TV while in motion. While I confess to watching lots of sat TV when parked at night, isn't the whole point of traveling in an RV to look out the windows and see the sights?

That's some black and white thinking. Hate to be in your rig.
naturesremed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #10

When travelling with little ones we just pop in a dvd for kids. When just the wife and I it's audio books and scenery!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
DVD's work fine while in motion
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesremed View Post
That's some black and white thinking. Hate to be in your rig.

You have nothing to worry about. It’s highly unlikely you’ll ever be in my rig.
dfchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #13

I think it's amazing how well such a relatively inexpensive device works. Straight roads are obviously best. Winegard with Directv. In practice, the few times it does get interrupted did frustrate the pax. With wife and I, we never use it, but it sure is nice to push a button and have all the usual channels when we park.

Even the super expensive units on airliners have hiccups when in turbulence or turning. Ours did work out West to Utah, NM, and Colorado.
flhayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:23 AM   #14

I use a KVH Tracvision RV1 with DirectTV. Works very well for me however I've not been too far north with it.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite