Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In search of the elusive TRIPLE BUNK...

We have a '17 Discovery DP with double bunks and very much like our coach. We have 3 small kids and really would like to have 3 bunks instead of 2. Before purchasing it, I contacted several manufacturers like Entegra to see about getting one custom built with 3 bunks. I told them I understand that it will certainly add to the cost and was fine with that, but many of them didn't respond to it, or just told me they only offer what they offer and won't deviate from that.
Prevost makes 3 bunk and 6 bunk coaches...but not too many of us want or can afford to spend $1m+ on something like that. If ours didn't have the windows in the bunk area (like many BH models out there), I'd make that space 3 bunks myself, but the window placement makes that impossible.

Anyone else out there encounter a similar dilemma and come up with any fresh ideas?

Thanks!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What did Newmar say?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #3

Why not remodel what you already have into what you need, it seems like this should be a fairly minor modification. Perhaps check to see if you have any custom furniture or cabinet makers in your area that could do the job.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Why not remodel what you already have into what you need, it seems like this should be a fairly minor modification. Perhaps check to see if you have any custom furniture or cabinet makers in your area that could do the job.
Thank you for your suggestion, but as I mentioned, the window placement makes that basically impossible. Our current floor plan is actually fantastic with there being 5 of us, even allowing plenty of walking room when the slides are in and we're traveling.
It would just be nice to have 3 bunks where the 2 are now...but the windows are the issue. I'm sure we're not the only ones with a DP that would love to have 3 bunks, so I was just wondering what others in this same boat thought or have done.

Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
What did Newmar say?
I believe they were either under my 'no response' column or they said that 'they already offer a BH floor plan'. I think my requests went unanswered though, if I remember correctly.

I plan on revisiting this after the new year and reaching out to different manufacturers again. Maybe I'll have some luck in the new year with that.
"Never give up, never surrender!"

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you asked them to make the bunk model without the windows? That way you could still make your own 3rd bunk. I know some manufacturers will add windows on a custom basis so maybe they will also delete unwanted windows?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

I am quite certain that Newmar will build the bunk area as a "blank box" leaving out the bunks and windows. You can then bring it to your favorite place to have bunks built to your specs
Bslagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

How about adding a dropdown bed above the front area. Just a thought
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Given the expense of adding the third bunk and the cost of another motor home if you do indeed find a suitable third bunk I'm sure the cost of relocating two windows and adding an exact replica third window the price would not be that unrealistic.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #10

Bunks without windows would be very hot and blah-looking.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomo View Post
How about adding a dropdown bed above the front area. Just a thought
Thanks for the good suggestion. Thought of that as it is a good idea, but the front door is there, so that wouldn't be possible. The door needs to be accessible in case of an emergency and I believe that would inhibit a quick egress with how ours is set up. I have seen that on coaches having a door mid-coach on the passengers side, but our is all the way forward pass side. We also like our kids to have their own 'room' since we're usually up later than they are. Now we put a mattress on the floor of the bunk room and close the doors, which accomplishes that and they aren't kept awake by my wife and I having lights or the tv on etc...its a great setup if only the 3 bunks were all on that same wall like a Prevost. Then it would be perfect!

Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #12

Good point and good luck with this.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Bunks without windows would be very hot and blah-looking.
We very rarely open them and the 3 AC units keep the bunk room and the whole coach really quite nice (I think they'd practically make it snow in the coach if we set them low enough). Other than letting some daylight in on occasion or our kids looking out them, those windows don't really get used.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Show me a floorplan and some photos.

If you have room, time and $$ anything can be done.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote