Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
tvp

Indoor Storage and battery?

Due to Covid 19 we will not be going south this winter and want to put RV in indoor storage. The facility has no option for 110 volt plug in and no way to run generator once a month .
So question is do I take all batteries out and take home ? Or just shut off salesman switch , and what can I do to protect the generator carb from giving me issues in spring ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #2

First, remove the fuel line from the generator fuel pump or the electric wire to same.
Then start generator and let it run until it dies. That burns most of the gas out if the carburator, the rest will evaporate.
Some carbs have a drain plug, but I have never needed to drain mine.

I have run my generstir out of gas by letting the gas tank go below 1/4 tank. Once it died out, I filled back up but didn't start the generator..

Once parked, you can just remove the negetive cables of the batteries, no need to take them home. Don't trust the battery disconnect.

That way your set for at least 4 to 6 months, especially in cold weather.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #3

Excellent advice on the generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
First, remove the fuel line from the generator fuel pump or the electric wire to same.
Then start generator and let it run until it dies. That burns most of the gas out if the carburator, the rest will evaporate.
Some carbs have a drain plug, but I have never needed to drain mine.

I have run my generstir out of gas by letting the gas tank go below 1/4 tank. Once it died out, I filled back up but didn't start the generator..

Once parked, you can just remove the negetive cables of the batteries, no need to take them home. Don't trust the battery disconnect.

That way your set for at least 4 to 6 months, especially in cold weather.
I have a propane generator and Cummins Onan told me the same thing....run the unit and turn off the fuel supply.....

I had my RV sitting idle for 2 months and used the battery disconnect switch.... kept it unplugged... It was fine....
That's what the "battery disconnect switch is for"...I don't know why you are telling him not to trust this?

Just remember to take it off the battery disconnect when you get back.... whatever you do , do everything in reverse to get it started again. Good luck.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
I have a propane generator and Cummins Onan told me the same thing....run the unit and turn off the fuel supply.....

I had my RV sitting idle for 2 months and used the battery disconnect switch.... kept it unplugged... It was fine....
That's what the "battery disconnect switch is for"...I don't know why you are telling him not to trust this?

Just remember to take it off the battery disconnect when you get back.... whatever you do , do everything in reverse to get it started again. Good luck.
In some rigs there are still things which will draw phantom current from the batteries even with the switch in the 'off' position. Things like the propane detector and smoke detectors are sometimes wired to the hot side of the switch.

Sometimes there are other issues in a rig where a previous owner moved a wire to the wrong side of the switch. Things happen, and if you're leaving the rig for a few months I'd suggest physically disconnecting the negative side of the battery bank. Takes only a few minutes and adds a level of protection.

Also, be sure to fully charge the batteries and have them topped off with distilled water before the cold weather approaches.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #5

All good advice above!

Typically you can get 1 to 2 weeks storing fully charged batteries using the "Salesman Switch". Recharge for another 2 weeks takes 14 hours.

Typically you can get 6 months storing fully charged flooded cell lead acid batteries. They must be in new or excellent condition. Recharge for another 6 months takes 14 hours.

AGM batteries in excellent condition can be stored disconnected for 12 months. Again, initial full charge takes 14 to f18 hours and recharge take 14 hours.

You can tell when lead acid batteries need recharge while in storage. Measure the voltage at the battery terminals. Keep the voltage above 12.4 volts. So, much used battery banks require more frequent voltage checks since they self discharge faster.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, door, indoor, storage