Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2023, 05:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet46 View Post
What are the pros and cons of changing from gas to induction? Is there a direct replacement?
I am trying to find an induction cooktop that does not have a fan. Does anyone have one, or know of one, that does not have a fan?

Does anyone have one, or know of one, that has a fan that runs only as fast as it is needed? (a variable speed fan)

Thanks,

jt
johntaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2023, 09:06 PM   #16

I bought a single induction burner that was well reviewed - just to try it. I can't see ripping out propane considering we boondock more than we hook up.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 09:39 PM   #17

Years ago when we were at a Heartland national rally in Goshen, Indiana, we won a New Wave induction plate. We have never used a propane stove top again. Yes we had to replace the pots and pan. We love it. It cooks so fast, I don't know why you are so concerned about the fan. The electrical/electronics need to be cooled. It only runs when it is on. It is the best thing we ever won or purchased.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
I don't know why you are so concerned about the fan. The electrical/electronics need to be cooled. It only runs when it is on.
I am so concerned about the fan because it makes noise. I don't like pointless noise.

The cooktop I am trying right now, runs the fan at one speed all the time. I see no reason that there are not units that control the alter the speed of the fan depending on the cooling needs.

Friends that have home units say they don't have a fan. Maybe they are cooled with heat pipes to the skin of the unit.

If anyone has information, I would appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:24 AM   #19

I install appliances in homes, and all induction cooktops have fans. Some are quieter than others, but asking for an induction cooktop without a fan is like asking for a residential refrigerator without a compressor. It's a required component to keep internals cool. In my Class C I carry a portable one-burner induction burner to use when I have hookups, and I use the propane cooktop when boondocking.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
It's a required component to keep internals cool
The unit can radiate heat without a fan. For example, my DC powered RV fridge does not have a fan to help remove the heat that the compressor moves from the interior to the exterior of the unit. The heat is radiated from the skin of the unit.

In order of best to worst:
  1. No fan, with potentially some cooling fins
  2. Large speed controlled fan
  3. Small speed controlled fan
  4. Small fixed speed fan

The one I am trying right now has 2 small fixed speed fans. In addition, it can be dropped into the counter and therefore the fans will be circulating air in a relatively small space under the counter. It seems that the designers were ridiculously cheap by making the fans operate all the time at a rate to handle the worst case scenario.

When I shop for these, I am rarely finding any info regarding noise or cooling. If anyone knows of units that are higher on that scale, I would appreciate hearing about them. There must be better options because I can't be the only one to not want some pointless fan noise anytime I heat something.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:33 PM   #21

When installed into a counter, you need to make sure you have adequate space underneath for air to circulate. If it's a very small cabinet, it's simply not viable. I don't think you'll find any that don't have some kind of fan. It's like the reason your laptop and desktop computers need a fan, they need to keep the electronics cool, and they need flowing air. However when they are installed into a counter, you barely even hear the fan operating. Your best solution might be to go ahead and install it into the counter, as long as you have a large enough cabinet underneath (air space)..
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote