Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Induction Cooktop Run Thru Inverter

So we upgraded our batteries to 800 Ah (lithium-ion) and added solar panels (1280 watts). Now the DW says she'd like it if we could use certain items while on battery power only, that are not currently run through the inverter (such as the induction cooktop, the washing machine, one A/C). Of course, A/C use would not be often or for very long at a time. Cooktop use would be of fairly short duration as well and both of these would require that we keep an eye on the total load.

Just a side note: our normal usage from when the solar stops charging in the evening until it starts back up in the morning is around 15-20%. We are currently only using a fraction of our available battery power daily.

Anyone know what would be involved in a mod that would allow this?
Magnum MS-2800 PSW inverter
Induction cooktop: 1800 watt max power
Washing Machine 7 amps
A/C 15,000 BTU

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #2

Dan
I'm not an expert on your type coach. However if you open the 115 volt ac circuit box I think you will find that some circuits are set to run on the inverter and one are set to run on shore or generator only. Induction cooktop should be no problem on inverter. However running a/c on inverter is problematic because of the high amp requirements.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano50 View Post
So we upgraded our batteries to 800 Ah (lithium-ion) and added solar panels (1280 watts). Now the DW says she'd like it if we could use certain items while on battery power only, that are not currently run through the inverter (such as the induction cooktop, the washing machine, one A/C). Of course, A/C use would not be often or for very long at a time. Cooktop use would be of fairly short duration as well and both of these would require that we keep an eye on the total load.

Just a side note: our normal usage from when the solar stops charging in the evening until it starts back up in the morning is around 15-20%. We are currently only using a fraction of our available battery power daily.

Anyone know what would be involved in a mod that would allow this?
Magnum MS-2800 PSW inverter
Induction cooktop: 1800 watt max power
Washing Machine 7 amps
A/C 15,000 BTU

Thanks in advance.
We removed all propane and gas appliances from our coach. Now cook with induction and convection micro-wave. The only solution we have come up with is run the generator when cooking if not connect to power. The induction (2 burner counter top) won't work on investor power and the convection unit will only work at about 50% of normal.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Induction cooktop should be no problem on inverter. However running a/c on inverter is problematic because of the high amp requirements.
Why would you think the cooktop amps are much different than an a/c? Even the table units draw near 15A or even 20A @120v. That's on the order of 150A from the batteries. Hopefully less running minutes/hours than an a/c, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #5

Older inverters are MSW and not true sign wave and many items, heating blankets, space heaters, some convection mws, do not like square wave 110v some portable electronics are very unhappy.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We have an all electric coach with an induction cook top, our will only work on 50amp.
bthomforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #7

Our induction cook top is made to be easily removed to use as an outdoor cooker. Like most it has a three prong household plug. Not unlike a coffee maker. If you have a newer full sine wave inverter it should work with it. Just like a coffee maker. 1300 watts at most. Good battery bank necessary..
Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

I'd think that it would be a simple matter to change the feed to the induction burner over to fed from the MS2812. Which should have the capacity to handle the load (Not an expert on this, but we do run our plug in Counter Top Induction burner off of the MS2812 frequently. We have 800AH of Lifeline. So while we start at the same level to start with, your ability with Lithium to draw down deeper, gets you a god 200AH's more of usage. And with a faster recharge time too!).

You have the capacity to do what you want, just double check the MS2812 can support that load.. And look into your Circuit Breaker area to see if you feel comfortable snuggling the wires/breaker over to the Inverted power poles. If not, then a good electrician should have not problem doing so.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #9

I did this on mine (well, not all of what the OP is thinking). I added almost all the 120 outlets on to my 2000w inverter. This allows me to plug in my induction cooktop (mine is not 1800w though).
Was a fairly simple process. Had to move some circuits in the main circuit breaker box along with the neutral lines. They moved from the main box to the sub-panel. Pretty sure I did a write up on it with diagrams in the Fleetwood owners forum.
I presume your DC wiring to/from the inverter can handle the 2800w your inverter can draw? That's probably in the 220ADC range and is pretty high.
I also did not move the W/D as I doubt I will ever do laundry while boondocking. I will save that for my few days a month when I plan on getting a CG to do such fun stuff. at 8-15 gals of water per load it just does not seem reasonable to do it while boondocking.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info, Smitty77. Someone totally messed up the screw head on the screw that holds the plastic cover on the Circuit Breaker box. Moving the wires would be in there, right?
Old 05-21-2017, 01:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info, computerguy. I'll check into this further as soon as I get the (messed up) screw that holds the plastic cover on the circuit breaker area out.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Your magnum is pure sign wave, so from a current capacity perspective, if it were the only thing running, it would work.

Be aware however, that if you move it to become one of the circuits fed from the Magnum, it is now limited by the total amperage capacity of the Magnum in bypass mode. Even when you are connected to shorepower, the subpanel is fed from the output of the Magnum transfer switch. You no longer have available to you the current for each circuit breaker, they are limited in TOTAL by the Magnum output circuit breaker.

For instance I have 4 circuits in my subpanel that are 20 amps each (Mwave, Refrig, Entertainment/Sat/TV's, and GFCI kitchen bath sockets). However because they are fed from the inverter, in total they must be less than 30 amps or they'll trip the Magnum breaker (I have a MS2000).

Your's is a little different because you have a MS2812, but you have a similar restriction. If you move your A/C or Induction over to the inverter, you will find yourself tripping the Magnum breaker alot, even though you are on shorepower or generator when you thought you can run everything.

I have a chart I'll add which shows this issue, using my coach data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Shore two legs and SubPanel circuits large.PNG
Views:	148
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	162519  
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano50 View Post
Thanks for the info, computerguy. I'll check into this further as soon as I get the (messed up) screw that holds the plastic cover on the circuit breaker area out.
Yep, Kiawah is correct. His diagram is pretty nice.
Not sure which plastic cover you are referring to but my panel/sub-panel is also plastic.
This is a spreadsheet of how I modified my 120v electrical to accommodate my needs. Before and after:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuits.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	162522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuits after.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	162523  

Old 05-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The basic formula for electrical circuits is Power(watts) = current(i) x voltage(e). Easy way to remember is it says PIE. your w/d draws 7 amps so it would be: 840 watts = 7 x 120. If the induction cooktop is 1800 watts it be 1800 = ? X 120. Using your algebra, 1800 divided by 120 results in 15 amps. Am not sure of the amp draw or wattage required for a 15K BTU A/C unit but it should be available in our owners manual. Just do the math to see if your proposal is feasible.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter