RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Inevitable sewer leak

I've had four different RV's, and no matter how carefully and completely I dump the tanks, and close the valves, there is always some stinky fluid that drains out whenever I remove the sewer cap after traveling. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a fact of RV life? It's not bad; just aggravating. I've started carrying a small dishpan in the plumbing bay just to catch it, but I like a clean bay, since the fresh water hose passes e same Winnebago opening. What's your experience?
Cairnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #2

I have never had this. I always dump gray after black to try to avoid this. I also won't stop filling black tank when dumping till water coming out is clear as the water I put in.
vdubbugman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same problem with a leaking valve and some residual waste water when removing the cap. I didn't want to take the bay apart to get to the valve so I added a valve like this to the discharge pipe. Problem solved...no more leak.

Valterra Twist On Valve
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
I had the same problem with a leaking valve and some residual waste water when removing the cap. I didn't want to take the bay apart to get to the valve so I added a valve like this to the discharge pipe. Problem solved...no more leak.

Valterra Twist On Valve
Exactly what I did. It only took one time and I got the value. LOL It wasn't much but then again it doesn't take match. No issue since.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Exactly what I did. It only took one time and I got the value. LOL It wasn't much but then again it doesn't take match. No issue since.
+1. No more leaks after I got the extra valve. And on our prior RV, using that valve allowed us to move the gray to the black for extra space when needed. Also allows you to backslash the black tank with gray, depending on the relative location of your tanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #6

Looking at the arrangement of the dump valves on my unit the little bit of water is just the residual grey water left in the line between the valve and the end cap. I saved an old plastic coffee can and set it below the cap before I remove it. Total cost: $0.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're getting black tank discharge after dumping and purging the line, you have a bad valve. They are not expensive and easy to replace. It might solve your problem. No one like a stinky water bay.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The valves can also be taken apart and cleaned. Not a nice job but not difficult if you can get to the 4 bolts. Have a tube of plumbers silicone handy to coat the valve with before reinstalling. Of course if you are going to the trouble of taking it apart it is the same process for installing a new one.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post

Valterra Twist On Valve
X3!
Tried a new valve and still had the issue. Much better now
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak