Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
My worry is not so much the tire blowing, but the valve stem.. Had it happen 2x now. Once while airing, once while driving...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Rusty, have you weighed your yet?
Kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
My worry is not so much the tire blowing, but the valve stem.. Had it happen 2x now. Once while airing, once while driving...
Shouldn't be a problem with the metal, truck stems like most of the larger, high pressure tires require. Rubber, friction fit stems shouldn't be used over 60 psi as I remember.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #46

American Coach Owners Club
Kevin, I have not weighed it yet, it's still empty and winterized. I plan on weighing it on the 14th or 15th. We have a trip to St Augustine planned for the 16th. I'm hoping to get the tire issue resolved before then. I explained to the goodyear dealer what had happened, and he recommended inspection, but said he didn't expect any problems. The combination of a relatively short time, and being empty, may have saved us a lot of trouble. I'll let you know what they say tomorrow.
Rusty1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #47

Kevin, I just returned from the local commercial Goodyear dealer, they also are a retreading facility, so they should be a good judge of the tire's condition. They found no damage, and said the tires looked like new. I did pay to have them balanced, which turned out to be a good idea, as they were out of balance enough to effect wear and ride. They also discovered that my two inside drive wheels (steel) are bent. not enough to effect safety or ride, but enough to cause uneven tire wear. I've contacted Monaco about the wheels. I hope you have the same good luck, as I really didn't want to go through trying to get replacements from the dealer.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
I took mine into the local dealer for warrantee work. They will also look at the tires. When they finish the warrantee work, I'll take it to a goodyear truck tire shop here in town. I heard back via email from Goodyear and they said the tires are likely not damaged but recommended they be checked.

Notice any difference with the wheels balanced?
Kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #49

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin123 View Post
Notice any difference with the wheels balanced?
I've never had the rear tires balanced on a Type A MH. On our present one I don't notice it till about 80 mph, and since I very seldom go that fast, it doesn't bother me.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #50

I only drove 3 miles back to my storage unit, I expect the main improvement will be even tire wear. I had to replace steering wheels on my previous class c, at 25k miles, because of alignment and balance issues.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Shouldn't be a problem with the metal, truck stems like most of the larger, high pressure tires require. Rubber, friction fit stems shouldn't be used over 60 psi as I remember.
These were metal... Either were cheap junk, or corrosion got to them, or were tightened to tight and 'cracked'...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #52

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My fronts took 120 psi. I bought a pressure gauge that could do both tires at the same time and allowed you to stand to the side. Cost a bunch though. Nice cast alum housing and large gauge. Trying to remember the name now.

I also carry a certified testing gauge from NAPA so I can check my gauges.

Well, shoot, I can't find the gauge by doing a search, but it's alum with a 2" or so analog gauge in an alum housing and two hoses, one long and one short, both with locking heads on them and a fill valve on the bottom of the gauge housing. Wasn't cheap.

My roll-around home compressor could not fill tires on my 2001 Admiral gasser so I know it won't do the job on my Alpine Coach Diesel tires until I get a bigger Compressor. For now I take the Coach to my local Les Schwab store for a complimentary pressure check.
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #53

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
My roll-around home compressor could not fill tires on my 2001 Admiral gasser so I know it won't do the job on my Alpine Coach Diesel tires until I get a bigger Compressor. For now I take the Coach to my local Les Schwab store for a complimentary pressure check.
I bought a 120 volt Coleman tank compressor at Lowes a few years ago. It goes to 150 psi and I only have to run 100 in my fronts since I got the new, larger front tires and 90 in the rears.