Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

inspection before purchase

We are close to purchasing a 2004 National Dolphin LX and I was wondering if when I get it checked out that i should be concered about?
ssbexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From a laymans point of view. Everything! First, make sure that the unit has been plugged in for at least 12 to 18 hours prior to making inspection. Start with the outside for cracks, delamination, condition of the tires as an 04 would normally need tires by now, mirrors and storage compartments, lights to include running lights. Inside check all appliances, including toilet, faucets and areas around shower pan, operation of slides and floors for soft spots. Hopefully others will chime in and IIRC there is one guy on the forumn who spent years as an RV service manager. Even with the best of circumstances, you'll always find something later that you have to bite the bullet on the repair and you'll say to yourself, I should have caught that!
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

To add to the above, signs of leaks in cabinets, around skylights, and any where there is a hole through the roof or walls. If the water heater runs on both elec and gas, check operation on BOTH. After wh gets up to temp, check it for leaks. Leveling jacks? Make sure they operate and they show you the proper procedure for leveling.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

Get it checked out before signing, there is to many people buying first and then complaining about their purchase.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbexley View Post
We are close to purchasing a 2004 National Dolphin LX and I was wondering if when I get it checked out that i should be concered about?
ssbexley: In addition to the good advice you received above, be sure to look at the chassis service records, especially the engine and tranny oil change intervals. IF the Dolphin is built on a W-20 or W-22 Workhorse chassis, then you will want to verify that the recent Workhorse / Bosch Brake RECALL has been, or will be, completed before you take delivery.

The Dolphin LX were nice coachs, and if everything looks good and the price is right, go for it!

OBTW, WELCOME to iRV2.com where we love helping each other. Please come back and let us know how you made out with the purchase.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I can't tell from your original post if you are planning to have a pro check it out or do it yourself? Based on your question I assume you don't know what to look for so spend the money and let a professional check it out.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for an independent shop and have them check the RV. Check the roof, check for leaks, check the all systems operate. Then have the chassis checked to be sure you know exactly what you are buying. Have the sales contract dependent on your inspection being passed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #8

RV Pre-Inspection Check List

We recently purchased a new to us Class A. Of all the PDI lists that I looked at this one is the most complete. Good luck with your new to you coach. Go to this website and you can print the PDI: Pre delivery Inspection (PDI) Pre-Purchase Check list on a New or Used RV - Wanderlodge Owners Group
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
I can't tell from your original post if you are planning to have a pro check it out or do it yourself? Based on your question I assume you don't know what to look for so spend the money and let a professional check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Look for an independent shop and have them check the RV. Check the roof, check for leaks, check the all systems operate. Then have the chassis checked to be sure you know exactly what you are buying. Have the sales contract dependent on your inspection being passed.

Ken
These guys know what they are talking about. Excellent advice! I hope you'll follow it to the tee.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #10

If you don't have the knowledge to check the unit yourself...it will be $$ well spent to have someone that does inspect take a look.
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought our 2004 MH a year ago. I did what you are doing and tried to get all of the information on what to look for prior to inspecting. I probably should have done what has been said here and had it professionally checked out. That would have been the wise move.
That being said, the two things I "should have caught" were 1) the sealant around the shower skylight needed attention and 2) I should have checked the condition of the house batteries. I got those issues taken care of without much problem. The batteries just involved $$ and a little bit of time. The skylight I was concerned about until the next heavy rain.
One other thing is to know that even if everything checks out good, by yourself or a pro, things will start needing to be replaced or repaired soon on a 2004.
Overall we have been very happy with our purchase. I hope yours goes as well.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
All good advice above. When I bought mine, I put aside $5,000 for unexpected things. I used part of it for a generator repair that failed shortly after I got it home and the rest I will use for travel expenses and upgrades.

Tags
purchase