Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

Question Installed new fuel pump

I’m no mechanic at all, so please use layman’s terms. I lowered my tank in my 1998 Rexhall Aerbus and replaced the fuel pump. It’s all hooked up except lifted back in place and lines where fuel is put in the tank are not connected. I wanted to test to see if the pump was working and tried to start but it wouldn’t. I can hear it kick on. Will it start with the way I have it now or does everything need to be hooked up totally as though I were ready to drive. All the wiring and lines from the pump are correct. Am I missing something I need to do to get it started. Will start with starter fluid until it evaporates. Thanks in advance.
Elteec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Lightbulb

As long as you have all the lines from the pump connected to the motor home you should be fine, the two larger hoses that go to the filler neck won't effect the fuel pump. You say you can hear the pump running when you turn on the engine, did you replace the filter in the tank that attaches to the pump in the tank? I would check the pressure at the intake manifold (the line that goes to the injectors) to see what your pressure is at the injectors. I would be careful with starting fluid, engines can become addicted to to it.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #3

as stated sounds like its not a pump issue as its more a pressure issue. fuel filter or even the injectors themselves. If you are hearing the pump turning on (which should be more of a hum than a click and the hum should only last a couple seconds when the key is turned to the on position without trying to start) Always a good idea to change the filter when doing a fuel pump. double check all your connections to make sure good connections are being made electronically and you don't have any holes in your lines. Also could possibly be a relay... but if you are hearing it turn on then most likely bad injectors, or another pressure issue.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elteec View Post
I’m no mechanic at all, so please use layman’s terms. I lowered my tank in my 1998 Rexhall Aerbus and replaced the fuel pump. It’s all hooked up except lifted back in place and lines where fuel is put in the tank are not connected. I wanted to test to see if the pump was working and tried to start but it wouldn’t. I can hear it kick on. Will it start with the way I have it now or does everything need to be hooked up totally as though I were ready to drive. All the wiring and lines from the pump are correct. Am I missing something I need to do to get it started. Will start with starter fluid until it evaporates. Thanks in advance.

If I understand your post correctly what you might be hearing is the pump relay clicking but not the pump. Just spec. here but the pump might depend on contact with the rest of the tank to be grounded. take alligator clips, even one jumper cable and complete the connection and try again.
Good Luck and keep us in the loop.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, install, led