Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Installing a bamboo floor.

Decided to replace the floor and carpet with woven strand bamboo, very hard surface. Using a glue down and putting on the full wall slide. That said removing the old floor is a real big job. The factory must have had extra glue available as they glued the top floor to a luan plywood subfloor which is really glued to the MH plywood floor. I am cutting it into small sections and using a heat gun to get the luan to detach. I will post pix as this progresses. I was inspired by the pictures posted of the recent Fleetwood with a full wall slide floor install. Hope mine comes out as good.
The waterfall pix is me standing at the precipice with my friends two weeks ago at Victoria Falls in Zambia. Not sure why I did it but I survived to tell the tale. Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2564643137.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	36586   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1186736296.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	583.2 KB
ID:	36587  

Name:	image-1045470675.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	36588  
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow that floor is really glued down. Looks like a lot of work. Keep us posted. I would really like to see the finished product.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hard work , but it will be worth it. Look forward to some pictures.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #4

Got that same bamboo flooring in my old discovery. Put it wall to wall and front to rear all bamboo, even the entry steps. Love it, it wears well and looks great. It was a real big face lift on my old rig, a big job but well worth it. You will feel the same once your done...
sonnyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Almost all the old floor is up, a few square ft. By the fridge and then the bathroom. Significant amount of cutting with the Dremel along the walls to get the old floor out without removing walls. Removing the carpet under the slide was easier than expected.
Amazing how schlock the factory hidden 120 volt electrical work is, lots of redo.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
The slide detail of how to shape the floor was a concern for me. We tested and found a 35 degree angle for the tape worked. We glued the modified stair nosing to the aluminum of the slide edge and we glued the second row to this piece so this piece has more strength when the slide is retracted. I was surprised that the bamboo planks were not perfectly straight so we are tolerating a slight gap on some portion of a few joints. The photos show how I dealt with the slide detail. Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-813173061.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	36775   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1400751010.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	36776  

Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had the same problem in my home with an addition I did and was not a 100% level. Glued it and just bent to fit. I do not even see the gap any more.I thing I will try the bamboo in my MH. Looking good!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
The stair nose makes the job have a professional touch.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could you tell me the brand name ? I want to put something in our motorhome , just do not know what yet . I was wondering what would hold up under the slide , because when it slides out , it leaves a slight depression in the vinyl that is on the floor now .
Thanks, carahsue
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I used the Lumber Liquidators Morningstar brand strand bamboo. It it so hard that it dents hard Maple. My slide has made a slight scratch at both places where it first touch's the floor, about an inch long, this stuff is very durable. We are not doing the bedroom area with wood, leaving the carpet so used 13 boxes. Glue was $185 for a 4gallon bucket. Needed two buckets but only used a bit of the second one so being careful during application means you could do the entire job with one bucket. A few details to finish and I will post some pix. I love the way a unified floor makes the space feel. Looks like a condo on wheels.
The wall paper could use some design help but replacing it looks like a major headache that may be best if I leave it alone.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Bamboo Flooring

Just had our '04 CC Inspire done and tearing up the old flooring was a bear. We installed two in floor electrical heating grids on separate thermostats that work just great. We used PlayBoo strand bamboo 3/8" thick and hard as steel. End results for the coach was very impressive but a lot of work and time and $$$$
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was wondering on the slide if a small strip of something real thin would help and cover up the marks and take the wear. Looking forward to the pictures.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
I used the Lumber Liquidators Morningstar brand strand bamboo. It it so hard that it dents hard Maple.
We're looking at using that in the stick house, just not sure about the kitchen/baths, may use a vinyl plank there.
We like the Tiger Strand, but not sure a whole house done in it would be good or not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I use to recommend those slide slickers. Since then, I have found an alternative- luxury vinyl planks. Take 2 of them, put them under the edges of slide and you may have to pry the slide up a bit- if it is dragging- then bring it in. A lot cheaper and any good flooring store will have stock.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote