Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 05:05 AM   #15

OP final response

I ended up buying the EMS-HW50C unit.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Decided to install it myself and it went fairly well but the EMS-HW50C box itself is really tight to get everything in there and tighten down. Very tight working space for that 50amp thick wiring harness. It took me about 2 hrs. to do. If they would of made the box ID just 1" bigger, that would of made a huge difference. But all in all I'm glad I installed it myself. It wasn't as nearly difficult as I had pictured in my mind.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #16

Here's a close up picture of the final box installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge-protector-install-photo-irv2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	142047  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the #6 jumper wire inside my Hw50c, and mounted the unit in my power bay, but I had an experienced RV Tech remove the shore power cable from the transfer switch and install the the jumper wire. It just seemed wise to have someone who has done this many times to finish the install for me.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The key to easily and successfully installing the Progressive EMS unit is to have lots of room to work and enough cable slack to complete the task. As others have pointed out, the conductors are large and stiff, there is not much room within the EMS box and the cabling must be properly and secureIy connected for it to safely and properly operate. I have installed Progressive units in two coaches. There is not sufficient room near the transfer switch in the basement compartment in most coaches to do it successfully and particularily, easily - in my opinion. In both of the units I have installed, I have removed the main feed to the breaker box and used that to feed the EMS. I then purchase additional cable of the same size to run from the progressive unit output back to the breaker box. Both cables can be easily and neatly installed in the unit and any excess slack stored behind the breaker box. Another advantage of connecting the unit in front of the breakers is that it provides protection for both the shore and generator power feeds. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I have removed the main feed to the breaker box and used that to feed the EMS. I then purchase additional cable of the same size to run from the progressive unit output back to the breaker box.
Great thought, now why didn't I read this B-4 I installed my unit in the basement!
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
The key to easily and successfully installing the Progressive EMS unit is to have lots of room to work and enough cable slack to complete the task. As others have pointed out, the conductors are large and stiff, there is not much room within the EMS box and the cabling must be properly and secureIy connected for it to safely and properly operate. I have installed Progressive units in two coaches. There is not sufficient room near the transfer switch in the basement compartment in most coaches to do it successfully and particularily, easily - in my opinion. In both of the units I have installed, I have removed the main feed to the breaker box and used that to feed the EMS. I then purchase additional cable of the same size to run from the progressive unit output back to the breaker box. Both cables can be easily and neatly installed in the unit and any excess slack stored behind the breaker box. Another advantage of connecting the unit in front of the breakers is that it provides protection for both the shore and generator power feeds. Good luck,

Bob-Great idea. Curious where your breaker box is located and how far away you mounted the EMS. My breaker box is installed in the back wall of the coach in the bedroom covered by a cabinet door. Not sure how I would access it as it backs into the rear cap area. Just looking for a few more details.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #21

Our unit is a 30amp. I installed the Progressive surge protector in ours, in the basement area, with the remote the bedroom area, behind a small door where some other electrical connectors are.
The hardest part was routing the remote cable, (Phone cable) up to the remote. But it is nice to open the door and see the code if there is one, also how many amps are being drawn and the voltage.
It is also important to set the time that the unit will keep the power off line if it is tripped. Your air conditioners need about 2 minutes before coming back on line to allow the head pressure to subside.
The only problem I have noted with the Progressive unit I have is it normally shows about 3 to 5 volts above the real voltage of the power source I am plugged into. As it will cut off power at 132 volts, this has proven to be a problem a couple of times in the past, when the power varies at some campgrounds. Having said that, however, I would prefer it to cut off before something BAD happens
Just my thoughts
Happy Trails.
PS mine has been installed about 5 years now.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:33 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My breaker box is also in the same location as yours. I have a cupboard below it and the wardrobe is beside it. The EMS could be installed in either wall. I disconnected the feed and pulled it into the cupboard below pulling a pics of strong cord attached to the end of the feed wire to pull the new cable into the breaker box. I mounted mine at the back of the cupboard removing the panel and reinforcing it with a 1x6 hardwood piece to mount the unit. It would have been simpler to put in in the wardrobe but you will need a piece of wood there as well as the wall is thin panelling. Drilled two holes for the wires, passed the wiring thru and wired the EMS. Mounted the EMS and pulled the feed into the breaker box and connected it. Mounted the display above the breaker box on the wall. Once wired, you just need to push the slack wire into the cavity behind the cupboard - lots of room back there. Good luck - it is much easier than it sounds.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install