Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

Installing Floor Hatch

Hello:

I want to install a floor hatch on my class A RV and wonder if their are any safety issues such as structure deficiency if you cut a 20"X20" hole in the RV floor.

Has any body done a project like that and if so how did you go about it?

Thanks
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

I haven't done it, but I'm thinking about it. The least difficult way, from an engineering standpoint, has to be to make the hole without cutting any of the structural floor framing.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I haven't done it, but I'm thinking about it. The least difficult way, from an engineering standpoint, has to be to make the hole without cutting any of the structural floor framing.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Mike:

I agree without cutting any structural floor framing. I looked from the basement and all I see is sheet of plywood. I read a article way back and memory fading, but I think the guy reinforce the cutout by screwing 2 long 2X4 center long way on the bottom of the floor.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #4

Looking for a place to hide from the wife, eh?

Probably won't work. They are pretty crafty.😁
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

Sounds like a good idea I think but what is the purpose for this hatch?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Sounds like a good idea I think but what is the purpose for this hatch?
530ktm:

I want to move my battery bank there as it is in the center of the RV or as powderman stated to hide the mistress, oh I mean the wife LOL. Some coaches have the battery bank near the stairs and the stair's thread lifts up for access. Almost same location for the subject floor hatch.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #7

Installing Floor Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
Mike:

I agree without cutting any structural floor framing. I looked from the basement and all I see is sheet of plywood. I read a article way back and memory fading, but I think the guy reinforce the cutout by screwing a long 2X4 center long way on the bottom of the floor.

I can't guess how your Bounder is put together. My floor is square steel tubing with foam panel insulation in the cavities between the framing. The bottom side (visible from the road surface) is plywood glued to the steel tubing, and black waterproof cloth on the bottom. Areas near the engine (diesel pusher) have an additional layer of silver-colored thermal insulation. The top side is two layers of 3/4" OSB sub-floor. If you can get to some place where pipes or hoses go through the floor, you may be able to pull back the sealant and see what layers are in yours.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I can't guess how your Bounder is put together. My floor is square steel tubing with foam panel insulation in the cavities between the framing. The bottom side (visible from the road surface) is plywood glued to the steel tubing, and black waterproof cloth on the bottom. Areas near the engine (diesel pusher) have an additional layer of silver-colored thermal insulation. The top side is two layers of 3/4" OSB sub-floor. If you can get to some place where pipes or hoses go through the floor, you may be able to pull back the sealant and see what layers are in yours.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Mike:

I'm only cutting the interior floor (which is pretty thick) to have access to the basement area. When you start cutting through the basement floor I think that's when you have to be careful of pipes and hoses. I think my rig only has 1/2" OSB for the basement floor, your rig is solid.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
Mike:

I'm only cutting the interior floor (which is pretty thick) to have access to the basement area. When you start cutting through the basement floor I think that's when you have to be careful of pipes and hoses. I think my rig only has 1/2" OSB for the basement floor, your rig is solid.

I don't have a basement like some rigs have. My MH has storage compartments outboard of the frame rails, but nothing in the center. I could easily shove a decent-size kayak up into that space, but I really want a large battery compartment that is accessible through the coach floor.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I cut a 12x18 or so hole for cat access to potty box in storage. From underneath in the storage bay one could not determine where the structure was. I drilled a series of small holes feeling for the structure as I went along.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I cut a 12x18 or so hole for cat access to potty box in storage. From underneath in the storage bay one could not determine where the structure was. I drilled a series of small holes feeling for the structure as I went along.
vsheetz:

Was the 12X18 hole frame to frame?
Did you reinforce the floor opening?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

All:

Update: I contact Fleetwood and they sent me the floor plan prints for my beast. He mention, should be no structural issues with the coach if no tube steel are cut. He also mention, consider a bit of a radius cut at the square corners to prevent stress cracks at the corners. Good idea!!

Changing out the floor covers and be a good time to do this project. Thanks everyone for your reply.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Allegro had a large compartment between the frame rails.(several years ago.) It was a great storage area. It was probably 2 feet by 4 feet. It was just behind the transmission on the gas chassis. Our customers loved it.

Tags
install