Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #15

My kids are grown. I wanted a rig with seatbelts in the chair behind the captains chairs. That wasn't a thing in the models I was interested in or people had removed them. BTW those wood recliners that are so popular will take you out and anyone else in the rig in an accident especially a rollover from a blown tire.

Anyway, there are captains chairs with a locking pedestal and seatbelts built in that can be bolted down. I had plans of drilling through the slide floor and securing the chair with flush bolts.
Captain's Chairs, Glastop RV & Motorhome Furniture | Custom RV & Motorhome Furnishings | Pompano Beach FL

If it were me I would put the carseat in the passenger captains chair. Every pic Ive looked at of rollovers and general accidents the front of the RV holds up pretty well.

Also, in general do a walk around. If its not glued down put it away. I found out first hand how things travel in a straight line in an accident. Those magnetic knife holders? yeah knife throwing gone rogue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
My kids are grown.

If it were me I would put the carseat in the passenger captains chair. Every pic Ive looked at of rollovers and general accidents the front of the RV holds up pretty well.

Also, in general do a walk around. If its not glued down put it away. I found out first hand how things travel in a straight line in an accident. Those magnetic knife holders? yeah knife throwing gone rogue.
Here is the engineering problem. You have to decide ahead of time what kind of accident you are going to have before putting in the car seat.

Rule #1: Do not have head on collisions. You are not going to survive the kinetic energy total of 160 mph.

Rule #2: Keep the tires on the ground. If you head stays on your body, it is pure luck but your neck has snapped.

Rule #3: Do not things like deer or tires come through the windshield.

My nickname when I was an ensign in the navy was 'crash and burn'. By that point I had been enlisted for 5 years and had two preschoolers. When I got commissioned I did not buy a Vette. The family car was a IH Travelall. We towed an Aristocrat Low Liner. There were no car seats back then.

First there was the logging truck barreling down hill. My assumption was he not going to drive off the mountain so I drove up it. Second was there was black ice between duty stations. That was fun. Cars ans semi going every which way on the down hill curve. The moving van with our furniture was 18 wheels up. How do you loose it going uphill on a straight away?

Then there was the emergency surgery and I did not know who was with the kids. Then the dam broke. Not by fault! True we sent a post card from lake with a dam to my mom where we were camping but there are lots of dams out west. And true we did not answer our phone because the flood cut our phone line. True my dad, the retired master chief called my command and did not like the way my captain talked to him. True my father talked to the captain in a way I am sure he did not like.

Then there was the near head on with a Suburban towing an Airsteam. I was being passed by a jerk. There was no shoulder and the roadway was elevated. I was about to go airborne towing a trailer when the jerk cut back in. However, a few miles later he blew his engine and left it sitting in the middle of the road just over the top of a hill. Our kids were ok but not the IH.

Turns out they had escaped from prison and stolen the car.

My point here is that you can do a lot ahead of time and keep the speed down to keep the babies safe.

Tags
class a, fan, install