Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Insulating engine compartment in DP

I am considering adding some insulation to my engine compartment for sound and heat. This summer the engine heat would add as much as 12 - 15 degrees to our bedroom at the end of a long drive.

Have any of you DP drivers ever insulated the engine compartment? What material did you use? How effective was it?
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Community Moderator

one thing you might explore is turbo/exhaust heat insulation wrapping. i have not done it but in the past two days I have been reading and searching... heat shield/tape can sustain 1200 degrees f. it is said that the wrapping not only reduces engine bay temperature but also boosts horsepower by 70%.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used this on my gasser engine hump. It works great sticks well to fiberglass. It is sold as sound deadening. But has good insulating properties too. It greatly reduced the heat (and noise) coming through after a long days drive. There are different thicknesses available. This is a copy of the real stuff called Dynamat, that costs twice as much.

Bulk Packs, 2 Door Kit items in Noise Killers Sound Control store on eBay!
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

It is darn hard to reduce that bedroom heat and I have a new American Rev, had a 11 Phaeton and both were well insulated in the engine area and it was still warm.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

I have a fried that owned a older Wanderlodge by Bluebird. At the end of the days travels they complained abut a electric motor noise when trying to take a nap. After closer examination he found a fan that would blow the heat out of the engine bay after shutting the engine down. I have always wanted to do this and always have forgotten about it till I need it. The fan could even be put on a timer or a temp switch, 12v or 110. This could be fairly easy and feasible to install on any brand of MH.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #6

What sort of fan would you use and were would you mount it
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
it is said that the wrapping not only reduces engine bay temperature but also boosts horsepower by 70%.
70% Wow!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #8

I think each application would be different. Mine would most likely be a squirrel cage type that would be small diameter but wide as to be mounted in the top of compartment so to blow heat out the rear grill. Also a 12v radiator fan from a salvage yard would work.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

marine bilge blower, already 12v...some 4 inch hose to vent it outside...
rg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg500
marine bilge blower, already 12v...some 4 inch hose to vent it outside...
Have you a link ? Really like this idea
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
one thing you might explore is turbo/exhaust heat insulation wrapping. i have not done it but in the past two days I have been reading and searching... heat shield/tape can sustain 1200 degrees f. it is said that the wrapping not only reduces engine bay temperature but also boosts horsepower by 70%.
I have wrapped a few exhausts and 70% is not going to happen! Every engine in the world would have this. there is sometimes a gain but it is minimal. Also what ever insulates also retains.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #12

336...exactly...more long term damage is possible from holding heat(ie: cracked exhaust manifolds for 1)

70% will never be obtained...any increase would never be felt by the seat of the pants.

Fan would need to move a lot of air...it can't be a small dinky type fan. These big ole diesel blocks will retain heat for hours, once they get warmed up.

I crack both bedroom windows...this helps quite a bit....if the AC is running, I close the bedroom door due to the windows being open.

Once we arrive at our destination, the wife uncovers the bed to allow any trapped warmth to expel
Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you use one of the radiator fans built for a car, it would be 12 volt and may already have a temp sensor built in. Our friemds had a Monaco Camelot where the engine compartment was built like a perfect box with a flat roof. There was only about 12" between the engine and the roof. It was all wrapped, but the only opening was at the rear of the coach. Monaco later cut a vent at the rear of the coach, above the engine doors and bolted two automotive radiator fans up behind the vent. They did a good job pulling out hot air.

Second option, I was working on my exhaust brake the other day and discovered a loud rattle. On my Cummins, there is an 1/8" metal plate, approximately 12" x 12". It has two metal straps (bent into an "L") that bolts to the cylinder head and holds the plate about 3" above the turbo. I never thought about it, but it does a good job of keeping the heat off of the floor of the bedroom. The rattle......the plate had two stress cracks in it. I welded them up and made it like new.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
70% Wow!!!
i double checked the webpage, i had incorrect info. i couldn't edit my other message, here it is:
"the wrapping not only reduces engine bay temperature by 70% but also boosts horsepower". lol
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote