Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2023, 08:54 PM   #1

Insulating wheel wells & doghouse

I have been searching for a few weeks now about thermal and sound barriers for wheel wells and doghouse. It is hard to realize which sites are advertising their own product or truly evaluating and ranking the products objectively.

So here is the question. Has anyone insulation and sound barriers on their wheel wells and doghouse on a class a? Any recommendations?

Btw. I have a 2019 Forest River Georgetown XL 378TS.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2023, 09:10 PM   #2

Dynamat is an often used, quality line of products snd often copied by cheaper manufacturers.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:44 PM   #3

The PO of my GS, I discovered, had sprayed the wheel wells, under carriage sheetmetal and firewall/dog house with some sort of insulating spray. I assume it is heat resistant/fire retarding. I know I keep cleaning off areas I am trying to access.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
The PO of my GS, I discovered, had sprayed the wheel wells, under carriage sheetmetal and firewall/dog house with some sort of insulating spray. I assume it is heat resistant/fire retarding. I know I keep cleaning off areas I am trying to access.
Do you have any idea if it has quieted engine noise and heat?
Old 03-01-2023, 11:38 PM   #5

We had a Thor Class A with Ford F51 chassis (V10 and doghouse).

To help with noise and heat, I took the doghouse off, cleaned the underside, removed the aluminum strips that were there, and added Thermo-tec heat and sound suppressor. It is quite sticky - used a metal roller to get good adhesion. Also used some DynaMat seam tape. Finally, I screwed the aluminum strips back on.

It turned out really nice - and I did notice a good bit of noise reduction and less heat. I was very pleased for under $100 and only a couple of hours work.

I also made sure the doghouse was clamping tight back in place. I did take some time to make sure there was good insulation around the underside of the doghouse flange (the part that is on the MH chassis).

Jim
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog