Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

Insurance????????????

Well, here goes. I have several quotes on insurance for the MH, and all are a little different in their coverages. I would like to know what i should look for in the way of coverage, and if some of you seasoned RV'ers could list what one needs to be adequately covered for what might happen, and enlighten me as to what i really need i would really appreciate it. With the experiences you have had while owning a MH i am sure each of you have made many changes in coverages. I need a list to make sure i am not overlooking ANYTHING. I am able to read the large print, but i need to know what to look for in the small print. Be specific if you will, as i am a rookie in this MH adventure. Deductibles for each entry will be appreciated. Thanks, Rivrduk
rivrduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #2

We originally had Amica for our two cars. When we recently purchased our 2004 Escaper I started checking for insurance. I checked with Amica, Geiko, Progressive and AARP/Hartford. I got the best quote form AARP/Hartford so we canceled our insurance with Amica and went with Hartford. We had also purchased Coachnet Roadside Assistance. The Hartford Motorhome insurance came with the same roadside assistance as Coachnet was going to supply so I canceled the Coachnet.We think that we got a pretty sweet deal.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #3

Check Blue Sky Ins. Co. thru Poliseek. Saved me $900 this year.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rivrduk,
Some of my post will be on more than RV insurance.
1. Consider a RV insurance broker. I use Farm & City at 800-331-1520. I suggest this because they know the questions to ask you so you don't miss anything.
2. Understand the liability coverages on your auto and home policies.
3. Consider an umbrella liability (1 million $).
4. Make sure the liability coverage meets the minimum for the umbrella policy.
5. Personal effects coverage is something to think about. Personal effects are anything that is not hard installed inside the coach. Most policies are $3K. For a coach, you may want more coverage.
6. Unless there is no additional charge, do not get towing on the policy. Get towing (Emergency Roadside Assistance) from a company that specializes in RV towing (Coach-Net and Good Sam are examples).

That is about it. Don't over complicate the purchase. Llet the agent lead you though the topics and answer your questions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Farm and City. That's their specialty.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You need liability coverage in whatever amount you are comfortable, just as with a car.

You need collision and comprehensive coverage for either fair market value (NADA book value), or "purchase price", if that option is offered. Purchase price protection may not be offered for older coaches and some companies do not have it at all. Basically purchase price will pay you up to your original purchase cost to buy a replacement in the event of a total loss. This will cost extra, typically $300 or so annually (depends on the value). But purchase price coverage does not pay off your loan if it exceeds fair market value - see below.
If you have a loan and it exceeds the fair market value, consider getting "gap" insurance to make sure the loan is paid off.

You want a substantial amount of Personal Effects coverage. This coverage is for a lot more than what you think. Besides your clothing and toys, it also covers any item you add or attach to the coach, e.g. a tow bar, a "bra" or an accessory mounted inside or out. I would suggest a minimum of $5000 and perhaps more, depending on what personal items you carry. If you are a photographer, for example, you may have $1000 worth of photo gear alone. Thinks of computers & cell phones & GPS, sporting gear, your clothing & jewelry, food & beverages, etc. All of that would be reimbursed under "Personal Effects".

Road service coverage is needed only if you will not have a special RV road service policy with Coach-net, Good Sam, etc.

Choose the deductibles for collision and comp to suit your financial situation. A higher deductible helps keep the premium cost down, but you have to be able to make up the difference if an accident occurs. We choose $500 deductible as a tradeoff between out of pocket expense and premium cost, but many smaller repairs, e.g. a broken side window, would come in under that and have to be repaired "out of pocket".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #7

Give Overland Insurance a try. www.myrvquote.com I saved $300.00 a year over Good Sam and more than doubled my coverage. Its worth getting a quote.

Steve
Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #8

I have an umbrella policy with my regular ins co...they don't do MHs. They did tell me to be sure the MH policy ties in with the umbrella policy as far as coverages go.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had American Modern for several years and then they went way up so I went with Progressive the last few years which was the lowest for me.
I dumped AARP/Hartford as they refused to insure me unless I put the house and all the cars under them. They have access to all the records I guess, as I never even told them about my other van or house but they knew all about them when I called for a quote. I had them for 10 years on one of the cars too. They will never get my business now as long as I live lol plus they were much higher on Home and car than my others.
It is really scary how much information about peoples available to low level employees like those employed for insurance quotes on the phone lines.
I cancelled my Progressive policy recently as I have the new coach on order and there is not sense paying for something I am not using.
I had full glass, full replacement for amount purchased,I think I had a 500 deductible if i remember correctly except for glass which was full.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #10

Looking at same situation myself and finding a $700/yr saving thru GSC (GMAC) from my current offer of ins company used for many years. I'm looking at $100/300Kplan for RV and three other vehicles at present which may or may not be enough.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #11

rv ins

What about usaa, are they any good?
wingman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8 View Post
What about usaa, are they any good?
USAA is fantastic. But they use Progressive for RV insurance. Need I say more!!!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
USAA is fantastic. But they use Progressive for RV insurance. Need I say more!!!!!
To expound on Finhawk's post, check out Progressive by using Google or Bing for their chairman, Peter Lewis, that will tell you all you'll want to know.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote