Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #15

If it was a non-slide model you will be lucky to get $20,000.
If it was a slide out model you will be lucky to get $30,000.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The body shop works for you, not the insurance company. You have the right to demand factory parts for your repairs and get them. BTW, the rear window was smashed when someone stole our road side emergency kit years ago. The body shop ordered a look a like window that leaked. They tried to fix it and discovered it didn't have the rubber seal that the factory one came with- so they replaced it and all was fine after that. My sympathies go out to you on the loss of your coach, I hope you find another one you like.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Was it insured for agreed value. I'm sure that phrase may set off huge debate. I'm sorry for your loss.

I believe we had it insured for replacement we been very busy with other things and have not pulled up the policy. Will be checking deeper as the process continues. Thanks.
Gulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I have never had someone manage an insurance claim for me but I have fought with an insurance company for about 6 months over a claim and won. Short version my car was attacked by a deer on my way to work on morning in a snow storm. It wrinkled one fender, maybe the hood and took out a headlight. I replaced the headlight that day so I could be legal and got an estimate for the bodywork with OEM parts. The adjuster would not approve OEM parts only LKQ parts. For those that don't know LKQ stand for Like Kind and Quality which in general couldn't be further from the truth. I wrote and I complained until I got fed up and wrote to the president of the company. A week or two later I got a call from a guy at the insurance company that told me if that if my body shop man didn't say that LKQ parts were as good as OEM parts that he would OK putting OEM parts on the car. I got the OEM parts on the car. The moral of the story is stick to your guns and don't let the insurance company wear you down, as that is what they are trying to do. If you still have the coach, don't let the insurance company or anyone else have it until they pay you, it's still your coach and potential evidence in a law suit. Hopefully you're not paying storage on it. Good luck.

We have the flexibility to wait to settle, so that is a good thing. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latech View Post
Sad to see the damage..WOW poor thing looks dead on its side
Glad you were not in it.

Nothing to offer about insurance, but glad you are OK

Thanks, heartbreak is just starting to set in... :-(
Old 11-01-2021, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
The first thing you need to do is find all the records for all the upgrades you did that will raise the value.

Also you need to start shopping for a similar unit and get the costs on them hopefully something in the same year make model or close.

This will be good information for you to have on your side when dealing with the adjuster. If you find your getting nowhere you may need to get an independent adjuster.

You also may have a fight on your hands as the homeowners and auto fight on the responsibility of the damage. Most likely the homeowners will not cover because it has a motor so then it’s an auto claim but they will not want to cover because it was at your home when it happened. Try to find the policy and read them very carefully.

A buddy had an issue that his car started a fire that burnt down his house and the homeowners flat out refused to pay. His auto policy did not have the limits to rebuild the house so I think he ended up claiming on his umbrella policy.

Interesting argument that the homeowners may coordinate coverage. Never heard of that.

On the updates/upgrades the unfortunate thing is that I do all labor myself, which in some cases such as rebuilding suspension, upgrading the refrigerator and many other items, labor make the lions share of the bill.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogHollow View Post
Get all of your reciepts together for the upgrades you did. Then put together a list of comparible RV's for sale, you will need that to establish value. That will be the tough part, you had an exceptional coach, a 99 that has been garaged with 50K is rare.
Best of luck, stick to your guns.
By the way I saw a picture of the Jeep it landed on on another forum. Small world I guess.

Yes amazing how things get around these days. I am very thankful I have space to store it and no bank note to cover. So patience is the rule I guess.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
Wow, what a beautiful coach. So sorry for your loss.
What makes you say they seem uninformed? Did they offer you below NADA value? From the little research I conducted, It seems the ins. Co will offer between 30k and 42K. Even on RV trader, in a seller's market, the going price seems to be close to 49K
Usually the Claims adjuster comes out snaps some pics, goes to the office and provides an initial estimate. you then find the Repair shop. If it's already at a repair shop, you can let the repair shop handle almost everything with the Insurance company, or you can keep in contact with the case worker at the insurance company so you stay in the loop.
But in your case it seems that through the pics the Adjuster and Ins company have deemed this a total loss. So the next step should be the payout. Did you manage to take out of the rig what you'd like to salvage?
Again, I'm so sorry about all this.

Yes, this sounds like it will be a comparative effort to establish valuation. At the moment we are sitting tight to see the insurance offer, then if they somehow reasonable then I do not need to do the additional research, if not, looks like I have a project ahead of me.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #23

we are approaching the end of the year and they like to clear up old claims before the new year so this might work to your advantage.they low ball ya just hold out,they will come back with more offers.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:06 PM   #24

WOW.....Mother Nature at work again.
Sorry for your loss, glad no one was injured.
Hope the insurance company makes you whole.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #25

Insuranse

I just filed a claim on my motorhome where I got stuck in the sand a guy tried to help pull me out the rope broke and went through my back doors of my all for beaver the radiator the trans cooler the bumper and the rear doors so far my insurance company has been wonderful. I have an agreed value on my coach for $80,000. From what I’ve been told just the radiator is like $8500 so hopefully a logo well get fixed and be on my way
caddylimo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddylimo42 View Post
I just filed a claim on my motorhome where I got stuck in the sand a guy tried to help pull me out the rope broke and went through my back doors of my all for beaver the radiator the trans cooler the bumper and the rear doors so far my insurance company has been wonderful. I have an agreed value on my coach for $80,000. From what I’ve been told just the radiator is like $8500 so hopefully a logo well get fixed and be on my way
Oh a newbie. Welcome to the community. Good to have you.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #27

One more input

In Texas, we have something called "Diminished Value". Insurance companies don't always offer it up as part of the settlement, but (and I am not an expert and may not get this exact) as I understand it, when you have an accident, even if your auto is repaired it is now worth less than before the accident (Autocheck and other services will report the accident) so the trade in value, or sales value will naturally be less than a similar car that has not been in an accident...thus you have suffered "diminished value" and TX says you should also get paid that amount as part of the settlement.

Don't know if this applies to RVs...don't know if you are in TX or another state that also protects owners with a diminished value claim, but thought I would offer this up.

Good luck and hope you do find suitable replacement for you passion.
Bomberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomberguy View Post
In Texas, we have something called "Diminished Value". Insurance companies don't always offer it up as part of the settlement, but (and I am not an expert and may not get this exact) as I understand it, when you have an accident, even if your auto is repaired it is now worth less than before the accident (Autocheck and other services will report the accident) so the trade in value, or sales value will naturally be less than a similar car that has not been in an accident...thus you have suffered "diminished value" and TX says you should also get paid that amount as part of the settlement.

Don't know if this applies to RVs...don't know if you are in TX or another state that also protects owners with a diminished value claim, but thought I would offer this up.

Good luck and hope you do find suitable replacement for you passion.

Does not apply. His vehicle is a total loss therefore there is no residual value to diminish. It will be up to the insurance company to determine the total loss valuation.

Tags
advice, insurance, led, monaco