Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #1

Insurance Claims concerns after Tx Severe Weather

I don't want to open up a can of worms here... Just looking for some advice/history with people who have had issues with their RV insurance company claim after a severe weather event.
As the country has been told, Texas had a once in a lifetime (or more) weather event that started a week and a half ago. Our home is just south and west of Austin. We had over a week of high temps that were below freezing and lows that went down to zero degrees (air temp, not wind chill). All kinds of infrastructure issues with power, water, etc... (honestly, who would have thought this could happen and prepare for it in Texas... Michigan, yes, but Texas? So I don't agree with all the after the fact finger pointing going on).
Anyway, after the 4th day of the event, our home's power went down (all electric), my wife and I had to move into our Bounder and were grateful that it had a generator, a full tank of gas, 1/2 tank of propane, heater, and electric fireplace.
When we moved in, I found icicles (up to 12" long) hanging from the cabinet on the driver's side and ice across the dashboard. We immediately put towels down and did what we could. We had to shut all the bathroom and bedroom area doors off and only used the kitchen, dining, living area to stay warm.
Power finally came back a day and a half later, so we were able to move back to the house...
After everything was over, I went out to try and access all the damage, but given it was obvious water infiltration, I couldn't see everything... but the front was still wet, I saw some damp spots on the ceiling and my shore power breaker would trip when the RV was plugged in, leading me to think the transfer switch had failed in some manner.

Anyway, given what I thought was happening and knowing I couldn't see everything, I submitted a claim to my insurance. They responded extremely fast and were courteous in the discussions. When I talked to the claims manager, I mentioned that I would take it to an RV company I have confidence in that was located near San Antonio. The claims manager said I could, but that the insurance company had 'preferred' sites that they use and that if I took it to the 'preferred' site, then they would guarantee all the work done for as long as I owned the RV. I was skeptical, but said ok.... and then he dropped the bomb that the closest 'preferred' repair facility was... wait for it.... CW
As you can probably tell, I am not a fan of CW... as many out there aren't... I have been taken by them in the past for stuff... especially their magical 18% add on fee for 'shop supplies' for ALL work done by their service department, no matter whether it required any supplies or not... and their not being accountable for work or things that happen while they have your RV.
I had already said yes, so I honored that...and took it to CW... where the collision repair contact, specifically for the insurance company, started making his comments on this and that... and how stuff was or was not done to their (CW's standards, etc..etc..)... and then he started saying I had not maintained my RV 'the way CW would have'... and that my RV was 'not new'...I read this as doing everything he could to run down the things to avoid the insurance having to pay... saying that it would be up to me to cover, etc... He took photos of the roof where the probably infiltration was... saying the DICOR was old, cracking,etc. and had not been maintained... I explained that I had done my annual roof inspection and did do DICOR layering, especially where I thought there might be an area of concern...and I had done this in August/September of 2020... 6 months ago. I can't explain why it may look like he wanted to say it hadn't... but I know it had....
Maybe it was because I received my 2nd Covid shot on the day before this that was making me cranky, but it sounded like he was saying I was a bad RV owner and not doing things 'his way' and I was a 'bad' person... which I didn't care for....and immediately sent a message to the insurance people saying I didn't appreciate how things went.
I am NOT asking the insurance to give me a new RV.... and I know that my RV is not new... but it has been maintained...and improved considerably in the 5+ years we have owned it.
My wife and I just want our RV back to at least the state it was before the severe weather did whatever it did.... that is what the insurance is supposed to be there for....
Anyway, enough of the sob story so far.... now to get to the nitty gritty...
Has anyone else gone through the degradation version of insurance claim/collision repair, especially in dealing with CW for the repair.

Any productive comments are appreciated...
Hopefully this discussion won't do into the toilet... if so, I will ask the admins to delete it.
Thanks
Larry
ldswofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 08:46 PM   #2

Tell the insurance adjuster that you are taking your coach to the repair facility of YOUR choice, and they will pay the bill or they will be talking to your lawyer next. That usually changes their attitude and makes them more agreeable.

I recently had shingle damage in a wind storm to the roof of my house. The insurance company said they would only pay for the missing shingles. Only problem was three roofing companies said the entire roof section had to be replaced to replace the missing shingles correctly. The insurance company balked till my lawyer wrote them a "show cause" letter. They paid to replace the entire roof section immediately.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:13 PM   #3

Go get your RV
Tell Insurance Company WHERE YOU will be taking it...YOUR Choice of facilities NOT their choice
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:10 AM   #4

Did you really believe that the insurance company would look out for your best interests ? Go to the shop of your choice. Their preferred shops are preferred because they give the ins. co. discount. not because of their quality work.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:32 AM   #5

If you do not like what you hear from the shop, take it somewhere else. In Texas, you get to choose the shop where the work gets done. However, after this last ice age, be prepared to wait as I am sure the shops will be swamped.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The preferred location is probably more for the insurer's benefit than yours, so if you aren't comfortable with their choice, pick your own shop. The repair has to be complete and proper in either case, so that guarantee isn't worth much unless a problem develops months after completion of the repairs. Then the insurer might use their clout to help you get action. If the repair is unsatisfactory right from the git-go, simply refuse to accept the job as finished and tell the insurer about it. They legally have to be on your side until the repairs have "made you whole again".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #7

So, an update on the claim saga... and now, needless to say, I am ticked.....
I received the 'report' from Foremost insurance (I don't care who knows now, hopefully my pain helps someone else avoid what I am going through).

From what I can tell, the 'not maintained' line from the claim coordinator, was a ruse to try to deny the claim under the 'wear and tear' clause.... but it appears that Foremost includes a 'freezing' exclusion in their policies... So they pulled those weasel words out to deny the claim and leave me holding air.... If they are doing this to me, then I am betting dollars to donuts that they will pull this on EVERYONE that was affected by the severe weather that happened 2 weeks ago in Texas. The claim coordinator even stated that if I had a burst pipe in the wall of the RV (not just the leak in the roof), then the insurance would not cover the burst pipe... and possibly not any water damage caused by that either.... and this was after I had already confirmed to them that I had drained all the lines and water heater back in December, long before the event occurred....

My recommendation is for all to go check their policies and ensure they are covered for what they think they are covered for....

I guess I know need to get recommendation on whether there is a reputable R insurance company out there.... as I will probably be changing soon... I will have to check FMCA and others to see if they have reputable carriers.
ldswofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

Foremost Insurance? Of all the ins. companies I've heard mentioned on here, I've never heard them mentioned. Sorry for your poor customer service.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Foremost Insurance? Of all the ins. companies I've heard mentioned on here, I've never heard them mentioned. Sorry for your poor customer service.
Foremost has been around for a long time. Don't quote me on this but I believe most of their business is with mobile home owners. I had a policy on the mobile home we used to have about 20 years ago. Never had to file a claim with them.

The one experience I had with our previous motorhome happened when a tornado came through and laid a tree on top of it. We were insured by Geico at the time and they were awesome.

OP, we're over here towards Beaumont so didn't get as cold as you. Still, we broke our local record with a 10° temperature that one morning. I too had drained the water heater and the lines. Left a 100 watt bulb going in the wet bay and had the furnace set to 35° so hopefully won't have any surprises when I do pressurize the system. Sure sorry to hear of your troubles with the insurance company.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #10

Old 03-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Foremost is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Farmers Insurance group.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance