Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We used Miller Insurance to search for the best price for us. We know many others who use them. They know RVs and especially full-timing RVers:

Miller Insurance Agency

It's best to search for good rates every 3 years or so. They all raise them after a while.
Several years ago I tried Millers. After a few days they called and wanted to know what I was paying for insurance. I refused to tell them since it was their job to get the quotes and none of their business as to what I was payhing. Never heard another word from them about insurance.
Then in 2015 we bought the Magna and went to a GS rally in Phoenix. They had a booth there so I tried them again. This time they came through with a good quote so I went through them. The next year the ins. company raised the rates by over $1300 so I went searching on my own
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #16

Had posted this in another insurance question thread. We are not fulltiming...

We had Geico for many years. A tornado came through in 2001 that laid down two large trees, one onto the motorhome and the other onto the garage where my Wife's Honda Accord was kept. The mh was totaled and the Honda was severely damaged. What can i say, the claim's adjuster, along with Geico, provided excellent service and took care of everything quickly and to my satisfaction. For years after, i really tried to stay loyal but it finally got to the point where their premiums got too high. I switched.

Went to the Hartford through AARP and immediately saved over $600. The next renewal jumped a little bit but i kept the insurance. Renewal after that jumped $1,300 and i immediately called to see why. Was told general price increase. Had no claims so needless to say, i dropped them like a hot potato.

Am now with Progressive for the motorhome. Have had them for a few years now and their price is only a tad bit higher than when i first bought the policy. Believe it or not, the premium actually went down on this last renewal. Haven't had a claim so i can't vouch for their service. Oh, and i do like paying by the year...
Old 12-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #17

State Farm

Been with them 50+ years. Never found anyone who could beat their price, including places that specialize in RV insurance. I use them for all my insurance needs, except medical.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Mudfrog .... Progressive is very good when it comes to claims. Our repair shop was very pleased to hear that we had Progressive when we needed some body work done. I'm sure I can beat their price, but I'm comfortable with them.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
State Farm

Been with them 50+ years. Never found anyone who could beat their price, including places that specialize in RV insurance. I use them for all my insurance needs, except medical.
Had them for everything for 47 years until they went crazy. With USAA and Progressive now, time will tell.

Dave

2002 Thor 32' Citation 5th wheel
davidc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Insurance Companies

My broker told me when he shops Progressive they are always the highest but tend to hold steady the longest. The others are trying to catch up to them. We have State Farm for our cars and home but didn't really know they wrote motorhomes. I'll have to send them my declaration page and see what they come back with. They have gone up on us some since we had a tornado claim.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #21

...as you can tell, everyone is going to tell you that their insurance company is the 'best'.
Unfortunately, that is just not the way to purchase or price insurance - no two people or situations or vehicles are alike, and cannot be compared simply by comparing notes with others, not to mention the application of which state your policy is issued in.

as an insurance agent, agency owner, and a family who has full timed and part timed for the past several years, I can assure you that because of all of the ultimate differences between folks and their needs, there is NO single insurance company that can be the best for everyone, and sometimes not for ANYONE.

because the nature of insurance is based upon rating risks by defining several classifications, such as driver age, years of experience, accident and violation history, ownership time, ownership of other types of property or vehicles, geographic area of 'residence', gender, type of career, miles driven per year, age of vehicle, types of coverages, limits of coverages, time with the same insurer, other policies with the same company, etc. etc. etc. - you can start to see that it's not an easy, or even possible, task to compare with other RVrs.

if you start with just the first simple difference: where you 'reside'; not only will the premium be different by each STATE, because insurance laws are different in each state and policies are written and rated different in each state, but also even the ZIP CODE in the SAME state, which causes ratings to be higher in higher traffic metro areas than many rural areas.

when you throw in the fact that not all Insurance Companies even write policies in every state, you start to see that making broad 'who is the best' comparisons is hardly fair, even though we all think we are the best at making the best decision about our insurance and therefore are happy to share with others. By nature, we all tend to have the 'loyalty' and 'allegiance' genes built into us.

Having said all that - the only real way to know is to make an EXACT comparison with all available online and physical insurers, agents, and brokers. That's a lot of work that truly most of us don't really want to do, but the reality is that there is ALWAYS someone else out there with a better policy, or a better price, than what we currently have. But, we don't tend to want to change unless our current policy goes up too much, or a friend mentions that their's is half the price of ours!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
...as you can tell, everyone is going to tell you that their insurance company is the 'best'.
Unfortunately, that is just not the way to purchase or price insurance - no two people or situations or vehicles are alike, and cannot be compared simply by comparing notes with others, not to mention the application of which state your policy is issued in.

as an insurance agent, agency owner, and a family who has full timed and part timed for the past several years, I can assure you that because of all of the ultimate differences between folks and their needs, there is NO single insurance company that can be the best for everyone, and sometimes not for ANYONE.

because the nature of insurance is based upon rating risks by defining several classifications, such as driver age, years of experience, accident and violation history, ownership time, ownership of other types of property or vehicles, geographic area of 'residence', gender, type of career, miles driven per year, age of vehicle, types of coverages, limits of coverages, time with the same insurer, other policies with the same company, etc. etc. etc. - you can start to see that it's not an easy, or even possible, task to compare with other RVrs.

if you start with just the first simple difference: where you 'reside'; not only will the premium be different by each STATE, because insurance laws are different in each state and policies are written and rated different in each state, but also even the ZIP CODE in the SAME state, which causes ratings to be higher in higher traffic metro areas than many rural areas.

when you throw in the fact that not all Insurance Companies even write policies in every state, you start to see that making broad 'who is the best' comparisons is hardly fair, even though we all think we are the best at making the best decision about our insurance and therefore are happy to share with others. By nature, we all tend to have the 'loyalty' and 'allegiance' genes built into us.

Having said all that - the only real way to know is to make an EXACT comparison with all available online and physical insurers, agents, and brokers. That's a lot of work that truly most of us don't really want to do, but the reality is that there is ALWAYS someone else out there with a better policy, or a better price, than what we currently have. But, we don't tend to want to change unless our current policy goes up too much, or a friend mentions that their's is half the price of ours!

Yes I would agree but looking for common threads.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:57 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I personally have had good luck with Progressive Insurance. I had to file a claim last year with Progressive and my homeowners insurance (State Farm) because my motorhome was burglarized. Progressive handled the damage and State Farm handled the personal property. Both did an excellent job!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone have State Farm Ins. bundled with their home and autos?

Tags
insurance