Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 12:43 PM   #1

Insurance Coverage for Stolen Catalytic Converter

Hello,

I had my two catalytic converters stolen from my motorhome in a secured lot. I have full coverage and after the adjuster and claims department completed their work they determined that they will only cover 25% of the repair because of the age of the motorhome. The motorhome has less than 24000 miles but is 20 years old. I purchased it in 2017 with only 5600 miles on it. Has anyone had any experience with the insurance company in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
raineeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineeo View Post
Hello,

I had my two catalytic converters stolen from my motorhome in a secured lot. I have full coverage and after the adjuster and claims department completed their work they determined that they will only cover 25% of the repair because of the age of the motorhome. The motorhome has less than 24000 miles but is 20 years old. I purchased it in 2017 with only 5600 miles on it. Has anyone had any experience with the insurance company in a similar situation?

My experience has been that theft / vandalism is under comprehensive coverage. It usually has a deductible of a set amount per claim. I have never heard of insurance only paying a percentage.

I would offer them 25% of next years premium and when they balk, fire them and take your business elsewhere. If enough people stand up to them, they will be out of business.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #3

Quote:
"they determined that they will only cover 25% of the repair because of the age of the motorhome."
Did the insurance adjuster show you in writing where that is stated in your policy? Have you read the insurance policy to see if that is in fact true?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’d like to know which insurance company you are dealing with. So I’ll know if I need to change companies also.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
I’d like to know which insurance company you are dealing with. So I’ll know if I need to change companies also.
Please let us know. There may be a lot of us changing if this is true.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would be on the phone with my state's Insurance Commissioner if my insurance tried to cover only 25% of a ligitimate claim. You should file a complaint.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #7

Converters can run 200k plus miles if engine is in good tune and no oil being burnt. They get new pipes welded to them if original stub fails.
Had to file claim with state before. The adjuster had tried to give me 50% on garage fire ,the bid was really low due to value anyway. I did all clean up and disposal. Set at 10% value of home. I fought for months with him. Filed complaint with state called with the complaint number ,talked to his boss. I was correct ,never should been depreciated per underwriter on staff. Claim in excess of 10% value of home shall be paid 10%. Same adjuster shows up with check he had it at 10% under this time. I refused to accept it, by this time I could feel my entire body turning red as he tried to cheat me some more. The look in my eyes smiling like he did me a favor. I felt really provoked by him to go beyond normal business transaction ,if you catch my drift was still in 20s ,he was on my last nerve I was struggling to raise a family. Told him to mail or have check ready at my agents place ,as he was not to set foot on property again.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:24 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineeo View Post
Hello,

Your favorite insurance adjuster here. I retired from Big Time Insurance Company (name of specific company omitted on purpose) about 8 years ago and now am an independent license adjuster.

In theory, yes. Your policy has a “betterment and depreciation” clause in it. And this is not set by the insurance company, but is set by the 2018 policy update, that changed the 2003 national policy. The basics for auto insurance policy is set on a nation wide basis, set as “best practices”

That is in theory. An example would be a 25 year old car that had faded delaminate paint that was caught in a sandstorm and the only repair is to repaint the entire car. Your car is going to be “better” upon completion. So let’s assume the windows are also damage. Your windows were fine before. So in this situation the new paint job would increase the value of the car, but replacement of the windows would not. You would expect any used car to have all the windows in it, but you might pay more for a car with a new paint job.

Now let’s apply this to your claim. Anyone buying your coach would expect it to have a good working catalytic converter on it and further, would you consider it a maintenance item or routinely expect to replace it at a given mileage or time. I say no. So therefore they need to make you whole by replacing, repairing or paying to return you you to pre loss conditions.

When I was with big time insurance company we would routinely apply betterment to tires, awnings, and occasionally paint and rust. I have never in 40 years applied it to exhaust or converter. The people I adjust for now do not apply it to anything, even though they could. I don’t think a converter could ever have betterment applied.

They also have the option of “like kind and quality” but that really applies to easily replaceable items like a fender or headlight. We would not owe fora brand new fender on a 20 year old car, when a good used properly installed would serve the normal usable life of the vehicle.

Read your policy looking for these clauses. I have found most insurance complaints come from not knowing what your policy says. Arm yourself with the facts and the approach your adjuster with facts. Most of these young adjusters have never read a policy or been properly trained. I just finished my biannual education to renew my license and these are the facts.

If I was to register a guess you are dealing with Progressive.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Your favorite insurance adjuster here. I retired from Big Time Insurance Company (name of specific company omitted on purpose) about 8 years ago and now am an independent license adjuster.

In theory, yes. Your policy has a “betterment and depreciation” clause in it. And this is not set by the insurance company, but is set by the 2018 policy update, that changed the 2003 national policy. The basics for auto insurance policy is set on a nation wide basis, set as “best practices”

That is in theory. An example would be a 25 year old car that had faded delaminate paint that was caught in a sandstorm and the only repair is to repaint the entire car. Your car is going to be “better” upon completion. So let’s assume the windows are also damage. Your windows were fine before. So in this situation the new paint job would increase the value of the car, but replacement of the windows would not. You would expect any used car to have all the windows in it, but you might pay more for a car with a new paint job.

Now let’s apply this to your claim. Anyone buying your coach would expect it to have a good working catalytic converter on it and further, would you consider it a maintenance item or routinely expect to replace it at a given mileage or time. I say no. So therefore they need to make you whole by replacing, repairing or paying to return you you to pre loss conditions.

When I was with big time insurance company we would routinely apply betterment to tires, awnings, and occasionally paint and rust. I have never in 40 years applied it to exhaust or converter. The people I adjust for now do not apply it to anything, even though they could. I don’t think a converter could ever have betterment applied.

They also have the option of “like kind and quality” but that really applies to easily replaceable items like a fender or headlight. We would not owe fora brand new fender on a 20 year old car, when a good used properly installed would serve the normal usable life of the vehicle.

Read your policy looking for these clauses. I have found most insurance complaints come from not knowing what your policy says. Arm yourself with the facts and the approach your adjuster with facts. Most of these young adjusters have never read a policy or been properly trained. I just finished my biannual education to renew my license and these are the facts.

The OP is running two threads on this issue. He stated he has coverage with a company he calls Auto-Owners. They are allowing $1000 for a $3800 repair. Even if "like kind and quality" is their basis, how does one go about testing a used catalytic converter for viability according to EPA standards?
Old 08-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Check whether you policy includes recoverable depreciation and/or replacement value or not...........same as on a house.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #11

The carrier is Auto-Owners. The words betterment or catalytic converter(emissions) are nowhere found in my policy. In regards to theft, it states:
b. Theft Coverage
We will pay for direct physical loss of or direct
physical damage to your automobile
and its equipment caused by theft, larceny,
robbery or pilferage.
There are no exclusions in the policy regarding equipment loss due to theft. I feel confident in the fact that there is no language in the policy documents that they could possibly refer to in order to support their decision.

I appreciate all of your help and guidance regarding this issue. I will post an update once I speak with them after telling them that I was not ok with their initial decision and that I needed justification based on the contents of my policy.
raineeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:01 PM   #13

From the standpoint of a retired prior auto repair service shop owner in NY State I was not allowed to replace a catalytic converter with a used converter. I believe this extends to EPA regulations also across the US.
Once a converter is removed the value becomes scrap price.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
The OP is running two threads on this issue. He stated he has coverage with a company he calls Auto-Owners. They are allowing $1000 for a $3800 repair. Even if "like kind and quality" is their basis, how does one go about testing a used catalytic converter for viability according to EPA standards?
You don't. It is against the law in most states to put a used catalytic converter on a car.

Auto-Owners is a pretty large company. I had them for a few years but never had a claim with them. I have dealt with them on subrigation. They act like they know what they are doing but usually, it was their mistake that made us come out on top.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter, cover, insurance