Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Question Insurance for 42' RV

Currently have Allied/Nationwide for $1350 per yr premium. This expires in 60 days. Quotes from Progressive & Good Sam are $2300 for same coverage. What happened? Any suggestions for 42' American Tradition?
HenElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #2

I had Auto Club and the rates were great. My wife saw the ad for Good Sam sponsored National General insurance. After reading their coverage, I switched both the coach and my GMC Terrain to National General and left my GMC truck and Lincoln with Auto Club.

National General covers so much more for basically the same price as Auto Club.

I wouldn't give Progressive a nickle, the owner gives all his money to the ACLU
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Allied was about the same proportion lower for me as well (compared to GS or Progressive). Sounds to me like you ought to renew with Allied!

I switched to Allied two years ago after getting an FMCA group rate quote. Had National Interstate before that, and they were substantially less than GS & Progressive for me. Others have had different experiences, so you have to get quotes for your own situation and not try to emulate others.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

I am a full timer and use Geico for both my 2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ and 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I pay $2200 a yr for full coverage for both
beachman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you are old enough get a quote from AARP/Hartford. We had Allied until last year when for no reason at all they raised price 40%. Hartford came in 30% under the original Allied cost. They also saved us almost 50% on the car insurance vs. State Farm. We have had a minor claim on the car when I backed into a tree limb. Great service and the body shop likes dealing with them, too.

Cheers,
Old 11-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

Try Blue Sky RV insurance. I pay $813 /yr for CA coverage on a 2005 Safari Panther.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I wouldn't give Progressive a nickle, the owner gives all his money to the ACLU
Not true, as a former resident of the region and watched the company grow, talk to employees, etc. The owner had (maybe still has) a chemical abuse problem. They had some amazing xmas parties,

I would not use them due to their history of making it on policies that no other insurance company would take, very high risk policy, hence they charge more to cover their high risk clients.... Things may have changed, but I'm not putting them on any short list.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #8

I've had great prices and claim service from Auto Owners Ins.

good luck

pointrow
Old 12-01-2016, 05:06 AM   #9

kERRYVAN, Needless to say but you're wrong when you claim I"m wrong. Here's just 1 sentence

(Snopes writing about Peter Lewis, owner of Progressive Insurance)
"" His record-setting contributions to the ACLU were openly publicized by that organization at the time they were made, and the subject of his political donations (including their amounts and targets) was one which was widely covered by many prominent news outlets over the years.""
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #10

I had State Farm on my '92 Overland 38' DP and I paid around $450 a year. We do have our other cars and homeowners with State Farm. When we bought our '98 Country Coach Concept 40' the State Farm quote was more than triple what we had been paying. We ended up going through FMCA program and have Progressive for around $750 a year. So far so good, only had a windshield claim and it was handled well.

- David
Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
2XX on AARP/The Hartford.

Switched to AARP/The Hartford 2 years ago -HUGE savings for our RV with toad. Since that time, we've had 2 glass claims and they have been spot on with processing. Also, you can get the pricing on line without the annoying calls form sales.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

Not sure I understand this insurance stuff. Good Sams was 1/2 the price of everyone else I checked with (for the same coverage). From what I see, the insurance co. just seems to spin a wheel when you call and that is your price for that call.
LaurenceStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've been with AARP-The Hartford through 2 renewals. Same basic price and as I indicated in the original post - you can do the whole pricing thing on line without constant calls from sales.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
My rates just went up with BlueSky. (No claims and two years with them)
They said their underwriters had reevaluated statistics (read -claims) on older motorhomes, of which my 2000 must qualify, and resulted in my rate increase of about 50%.
I was at about $600 a year -- going to $900 a year. I quoted three more insurers and got between $1100 and $1600. Will probably still stick with Blue Sky.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance