Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Insurance for MH Held in LLC

Hey Everyone,

I have seen it mentioned in other threads, but wanted to get a clearer understanding of insurance requirements for MHs held within an LLC.

I read a post where someone said that you don't need to mention to your insurance company that the MH is help within an LLC. That you just add it to your regular individual insurance policy. Is that true? I will say that I mentioned the fact that my MH is owned by my LLC and they immediately said it would need to be in my name. Just wanted to make sure that I am not missing something.

Also, I am interested in knowing what insurance carriers will provide coverage for a MH held in an LLC. I am with Safeco, so that is one for sure. I also heard that Good Sam's offers coverage through their insurance arm. Any others?

I found my Safeco coverage to be a few hundred dollars a year more than my regular individual policy would have covered me for. Now that I've owned the MH for a year, it's probably a good time to shop around rates.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #2

I think questions like this require a lawyer consult.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #3

My ins co. listed me as the owner, and my LLC as an additional insured, I liked Miller Insurance, they have lots of experience.
Miller Insurance Agency
Old 08-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #4

State Farm insured it under my LLC.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

This is a controversial subject --not only using an LLC but also how to insure the vehicles. The way we came to understand it, ownership is in the name of your LLC so you MUST insure it to show that it is owned by the LLC. So no, you can NOT or must NOT tell the insurance company that YOU own the vehicles. So I might disagree what has been posted so far but as with any discussion on these forums, many do things differently. Whether it comes down to what is the right way or the wrong way, it's going to be something that you'll have to determine for yourself. I'll just express my "opinion" and circumstances.

Yes, it will cost more to insure under a LLC. Yes, there are fewer carriers which will insure vehicles in the LLC that are used for non-business purposes.

I'm assuming that you are using a Montana LLC? Let's assume that for the purposes of this conversation. We used a Montana LLC for over a decade and used several insurance agents during that time. I strongly suggest using an insurance agency/brokerage that is familiar with or specialize in insuring vehicles held in a Montana LLC.

Miller does claim to know how to insure vehicles held in a Montana LLC. We did use them for while. However, I did have some questions as to whether what they were telling me was absolutely correct in some instances so we switched back to a Montana-based agency.

We started off with Garden City Insurance in Missoula. We then used Miller for awhile. We switched to Destination Services in Missoula for the rest of the time.

The two agencies in Montana seemed to have a better grasp of the ins-and-outs of insuring a Montana LLC vehicle as they are there in the state.

They will know how to insure the vehicles and also will know what carriers are still available to use for a LLC. To tell you the truth, near the end of our RVing days, I believe there were only two carriers that were left --again, the agents will know for sure.

All three agencies are licensed to do business in most states (some have a few states that they are not licensed) but this is only for purposes if you want to use them for other products (own property in another state, umbrella liability, etc.)

Agencies to contact ...let them guide you as to the carrier to use and for advice:

Miller in Lake Oswego Oregon

Garden City Insurance in Missoula

Destination Services in Missoula

Again, I'd strongly recommend using one of those agencies.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If the insurer doesn't ask, you are not obliged to tell, but the application for the insurance almost surely will ask for the name of the owner(s).

Whether the insurer will care if an LLC is the owner is a different question. Some will and may refuse to insure it under a personal policy (they may do it as a commercial use, if they are in that business). Others will permit insuring property in a personal LLC and won't care as long as the LLC is non-commercial.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #7

Have had Gieco for several years, yes I am registered under a LLC no issues so far and I made sure to speak with them on the phone so it was recorded when I took out the policy.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #8

Thanks everyone. I am learning a lot about this insurance component. One thing that amazes me is how cheap it is to insure a MH if you just get liability coverage. It's a couple hundred dollars for the year. I guess it's a combination of MH drivers likely being safer drivers and a lot of us not driving their MH all that much.

I did call Geico and noticed they never asked the titling question. I likely won't switch to them since the savings wasn't significant enough. I was hoping to consolidate all coverages, but they were not competitive on certain things (motorcycle - Progressive was way more so) and where they were the difference wasn't significant enough.

All things being more or less equal, I prefer to stay with a company that knows that my MH and TOAD are held in my LLC.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

LLC and insurance

The bottom line as to if an insurance company will insure an RV under an LLC is there underwriting guides. I worked for GEICO for 20 years. Each company must comply with state regulations but no state will require a company to deny coverage based on the unit being titled under an LLC. The concern is how it’s used, Business or Pleasure. If you use it for business make sure your liability limits are sufficient for your exposure. To answer that question ask your attorney and insurance agent. Most insurance companies will list you as the owner and the LLC as an “additional insured” similar to a bank with a loan. I recommend personal use minimum liability limits of 300/300 however 500/500 is normally only a few dollars a year more and of course 1MM/1MM is preferred.
Poppa B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance