Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
Just got my renewal notice from my insurance company and the only payment option I have is for a full year. Monthly payments are not an option.

1. Is this pretty standard or unique to Progressive?
2. Does $3100 for a full year on a class-A toy hauler that is worth about $90k sound about right?
It depends upon what your driving record is like.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #16

Most monthly statements include a convenience fee of $ 5 to $7. Only the annual premium does not incur this convenience fee. This makes annual payment virtually always cheaper in the long run.
Your credit rating and outstanding debt ratio may also considered when setting your premium.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #17

Sounds high. I pay $900/year, 500 deduct for a 2018 DRV Fullhouse, State Farm
Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
It depends upon what your driving record is like.
And/or if you (meaning the OP) have had any insurance claims in the past five years.

In most cases an insurance plan paid semi-annually, quarterly or monthly will carry a surcharge per payment. Best to pay in full annually if you can handle it.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had The Hartford for my MH, Auto and home owners. Their rates went up @ 18%. Shopped around and found SAFECO had the best overall rates. I'd try them.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #20

That does seem high. Our premium is about 1/3 that amount for a similarly valued Class A DP through USAA/Progressive. We pay the full amount annually. Rates have not increased for 3 years.

Some possible measures to reduce the premium would be a policy review, a higher deductible or obtaining quotes from other insurers.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #21

We have Progressive. We live in Michigan which has some of the highest insurance premiums. We pay about $1300 annually for 150k insured.

Paying for a year is fairly standard. There are usually other payment options but you might have to ask.

Did you get your quote directly through Progressive or a broker? It is much cheaper through them directly.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
The OP needs to shop around. The price he was quoted not only sounds high, it sounds very high. And installment payments are easily available from other companies.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Just got my renewal notice from my insurance company and the only payment option I have is for a full year. Monthly payments are not an option.

2. Does $3100 for a full year on a class-A toy hauler that is worth about $90k sound about right?
Ours is older, worth a lot less than $90k, and we're not fulltiming. I also choose to have high comp and collision deductibles set at $2k. The yearly premium did go up to $554 this last renewal because I added glass coverage and I believe, because of Harvey flooding.

Renewal was a few months ago with Progressive and I was offered the option to pay notes or get the discount paying in full. Of course I paid in full..
Old 12-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #24

I have National General thru Good Sam $1900/year with monthly option. 2006 Monaco Diplomat. Just change cars from Geico to State Farm. Now talking to State Farm for my Monaco.
AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #25

State Farm has the option to make a half payment......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #26

Quote:

State Farm is one payment option for the year. Pay $800/yr in WA state but we have everything through them. $3100/yr for a 5th wheel sounds too high in any state. I'd shop around.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hartford AARP on my RV, cars, home and umbrella. The MH part is about $800 a year and we have monthly payments. Renewal was in September and no increase in premium.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #28

Asked my agent why my rates were so much more that the rate for the same year and model coach in Ca. which has a lot more motorhomes registered than Texas,{my state]. She said it was partially based on the number of claims made in my area. So if a lot of motorhomes are travelling through my zip code and get in accidents, and make claims, I am penalized and pay more. Guess living in the Galveston area does have its disadvantages besides threat of hurricanes.

Tags
insurance