Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Anyone try USAA? I have heard they have pretty good rates.
USAA uses Progressive and it cost me about 91 per month but I have "agreed value" on the motorhome I could reduce the cost by not choosing this option. No deductible. Geico wanted way more for similar coverage.

55 year member with USAA.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
Was with BlueSky for 3 years, good credit no accidents.

Had a 2000 39Z Bounder for $500/year full coverage $500 deductible and disappearing deductible.

Traded in this past July for a 2008 Bounder 38S. Called to update coverage...premium to $900 annual...okay...not too bad I guess.

Received this Monday morning in email along with new invoice due in Oct.

"You should have received your renewal via email yesterday. I wanted to alert you that there was a rate increase in AR that affected Class A motorhomes that are over the length of 35’. Your increase is 45.6%"

WHAT

Called around checking different companies...all about the same for $1500/year. (except Foremost who wanted over $2000/year.

DW reminded me we are now AARP members and maybe check with them. Okay...I don't get it....but just got off the phone with Hartford and for the exact same coverage etc etc their annual premium was $670.

Locked it in before they changed their mind. Just don't get how the companies can be different rates? I even told Hartford about the letter and the Arkansas rate change...she said no worries. Wow.

Don't worry,they'll raise their rates on you too; just like Blue Sky did. They all do.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #17

Cost for repair goes up buy 1.5 times the length. Think about it. Accidents go up by length and age of the driver from about 35 years vs time in the RV. Geez, it ought to be an algebra formula. There is very little customer loyalty in insurance. Actually, if you think about it, longer you go more likely you are to have an accident.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
USAA insures only smaller (read cheaper) boats and RVs. All the high dollar toys are passed on to Progressive.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I have Nationwide thru another agent in FL. It is due for renewal and as always I show around. I am an FCMA member so I emailed them just yesterday. They sent me a quote back. One was from Nationwide (and it was the lowest of the 4). It was $500 more for the year with lower coverage's
Pays to shop around.
Geico has a good rate but they don't have replacement value so I am staying put. Mine is $1056 for the year

Mine is double that - excellent credit and driving record
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I have four cars insured by Liberty Mutual, a trike insured by Progressive, house insured by American Modern and an RV insured by Allied. I took all four policies to a local agent last week thinking I could maybe save a bit by having all insured by the same company or same broker. The agent asked which companies I was insured with and after telling him he said to stay with what I have. Surprised me. I guess it doesn't always pay to shop around.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #21

I have house, cars and MH with Progressive. I have been ok happy with them, but cars go up each year, and I will be shopping in 6 months, but will give one more rebuy (due now in September).

MH doubled last year for no reason. NO points, no accidents, just MH got more expensive.

It will make me look around next renewal, but every company so far has the same games... Maybe it makes sense to just keep rotating insurance companies. I think they bank on the renewal, and not the shoppers. Seems when you shop around, you will save money over your 4 or 5 year old policy, but after a couple years, it is time to change again...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #22

There are no simple answers on insurance.

You need to comparison shop the reputable companies. Price depends on your driving record, location class, and each level of coverage.

I am in Rural Route Class 1. It is the lowest location cost in PA. If I lived in Philladelpia the over-all rate would triple.

Each insurer has rates that vary by state, or even by county.

Make sure the quotes are one-on-one for all coverage levels. Some like to provide lower pricing via lower coverage.

So, no simple answers. You must shop. Brokers may help.

Best of luck!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
....... Actually, if you think about it, longer you go more likely you are to have an accident.

Not true. False logic.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I look at some of the RV drivers it's a wonder RV's can be insured at all. I have seen park after park where they have driven over rocks, electric pedestals, water hook ups, into and over trees- you name it. Scary.
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajell View Post
When I look at some of the RV drivers it's a wonder RV's can be insured at all. I have seen park after park where they have driven over rocks, electric pedestals, water hook ups, into and over trees- you name it. Scary.
I live and drive in Massachusetts. Nothing you have said here is unlike the things I see over and over every day.

May seem that RVs do more dumb stuff, but I suspect the insurance companies keep track of these things...

I do not spend significantly different for my RV than my car insurance...
Old 09-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I'll go with AARP and the Hartford. I check rates every once in a while and they just can't be beat. I have 2 cars, MH , house and rentals the more you add the more they discount. I have had a claim on a rental, small Fire, they did the deductible and PAID. I had one claim on the MH, they said have it fixed, did the deductible and PAID. NO hassle no rate increase, you can pay by month, quarter or year anyway you want and credit card from anywhere. Good rates, good service and a whole bunch of old farts insured.

LEN
Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
Actually, if you think about it, longer you go more likely you are to have an accident.
Not true. False logic.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
Actually, the logic is sound. While the odds of having an accident on any given day remains the same (or may even decrease slightly due to experience), the overall odds of having an accident at some point increases, simply because of the increase in miles and exposure.
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Actually, the logic is sound. While the odds of having an accident on any given day remains the same (or may even decrease slightly due to experience), the overall odds of having an accident at some point increases, simply because of the increase in miles and exposure.
This presupposes that having a claim is inevitable. I believe that statistics may show that is the case, if you wait long enough, each person will have something...

But it this was the case alone, then there would be no need for states to impose points for non accidents, entirely to support the insurance industry revenues.

With that in mind, then those with points are destined to have a claim, while those without are not (so much).

I personally do not believe that insurance claims are inevitable. I believe that some people can go many years or more without them, while others have them pretty regularly...

I believe the insurance companies, at least some of them, because agree, because they give longevity bonuses, and decreasing deductibles, as well as non-accident return bonus checks. I realize that most of these are gimmicks, but I believe that insurance companies do see the insured in at least two categories. (Those likely to have a claim, and those less likely)

Tags
insurance