Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #1

Insurance Recommendations

I will be getting a 2006 Allegro this weekend. I would like some recommendations on the best insurance company to go to through. I think....that in my past life, my ex-husband and I used Good Sam's but I am not certain. Thanks.
stephjhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

May I suggest getting a quote from your homeowner's or automotive insurance company? They will offer you a multi-policy discount.

I currently have my house, two cars and our motorcycle on our Allstate policy. They have also been the most affordable insurance we've had, and we've bounced around quite a bit with our auto insurance since DH has a terrible driving record!

When our roof blew off of our house in a windstorm in '09, we had it replaced in less than two weeks and were very satisfied with how they handled it. So we don't feel like we're getting jipped due to the affordability of the policy. Luckily that's the only claim we've made in the 7 years we've had them. *Knock on wood!*

But if you're satisfied with your home or auto policy, maybe give them a shot with your RV Good luck!
unhipdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends on your intended use. If you'll use your allegro as an intermittent vacation vehicle, then an add-on with your regular insurance carrier will probably be fine. In that area I am very partial to State Farm.

If you intend to fulltime or snowbird, a specialty carrier that regularly deals with fulltimers would be advised. We now use National Interstate for our coach and car. We've only filed one small claim in two years (toad windshield), but the service was excellent.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same here

We're also getting an Allegro RED this weekend and I've spent the afternoon on the phone and computer checking out insurance carriers. I live in upstate NY and some companies don't sell here. My homeowner/vehicle insurance company doesn't insure RV's.
The best quote by far was from Titan, a Nationwide company. I found them through the iRV2 site. I also got a quote from Explorer and through the dealership i'm working with. I'm looking over the various quotes to be sure I'm comparing apples & apples.

Does anyone have any experience with the Titan company.
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used Good Sam (actually National General) for about the past five years. I have four autos and the motor home and every year I go through the process of getting quotes from different companies. I do find cheaper insurance for my autos, but the mh insurance will be more.......and visa versa. So I've stayed with GS until I can find something better.

One item that is provided with GS is that you can get a "storage" reduction on your policy if your rv or autos are put into storage for longer than 30 days (I think). Our mh is placed in storage from November through April and the insurance is reduced to include comprehensive only. This reduces the annual price by several hundred dollars. In the same token, we put three of our autos in storage from June through October....and again the insurance is reduced to comprehensive only. Anothr couple hundred saved.

So with the storage reductions, I have yet to find another insurance company that can beat their price. Recently, I checked with FMCA and their storage reduction only included medical and uninsured motorist. Not anywhere close to GS's reductions.

Food for thought.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our M H is a weekend, vacation unit. I wanted one company for Home, cars, M H.. I went with Geico.. I also took their roadside service for the M H.. I have not had a claim yet, so can not say about service but I saved a "bunch" over my former company.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #7

We went with Progressive 5yrs. ago. Never had a claim except for the towing rider which is only $22 for us a year. You won't find any kind of roadside assistance for that price. We've had to have a tow a couple of times and never a problem getting it done, even one in the Yukon.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #8

I use BlueSky as do many full-timers. I have a 100K replacement policy with 20K personal contents for just under $1K. When we were part-time we had the same replacement but no personal property in the mid $800 range. None of the big name companies could even come close to this.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Get a bundled quote from AARP. HAVE cars RV house condo and duplex rentals for a good price and good protection.

LEN
Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

We currently use AAA insurance for our entire house/car/rv/atv insurance package. I shop this insurance bundle every three years and have saved thousands of dollars over the years doing so. AAA happens to be the most competitive this cycle and has been for the last couple of cycles. As long as they stay that way, they will get my business.

I have had a few claims with AAA and other insurance companies. Any of them who attempt to raise their premiums due to a claim immediately looses my business. I can assure you that the insurance companies are still ahead!!

One other thought, your worst "best" friend is your insurance agent.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
insurance

I will second ARRP (ITT Hartford) I'm 71 and have had them for a long time. I have checked around when my policy go's due sometimes and they are always the best. If you are I think 55 you can join ARRP.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #12

Try National Interstate, they actually know what an RV is.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Try National Interstate, they actually know what an RV is.
I agree!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
3 years ago I shopped rates after my auto agency Farmers was very high, Gieco was the best, moved 1 car over to policy to get multiple vehicle discount. Recently compared rates with Good Sam, they were a lot higher. I had 2 claims one on auto (hail) and last month on MH (wind damage). Very fast service, reported claim one day had adjuster at the house the next day and received check same day.
Great service from Gieco on both claims.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance