Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interior Convex Mirror

I'd like to hear from the forum on some ideas for a "convex" mirror to be added above and to the right side of the driver so you can see what's going on behind the driver while in motion. I'd like the mirror to be oval or rectangle and be able to see left and right as well as up an down. Something in the range of 5 to 10 inches wide and 3 to 4 inches tall. I've looked at "auto mirrors" but haven't one that sees up and down as well as right and left. Too many times I've been rolling down the highway and heard something fall and wonder what it was.... Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just searched "large convex truck mirror" and came up with this

This may work, may not... You have look at mounting options. You could also look at mirrors for cars that allow parents to see their kids in the back seats of cars... Maybe too small for what you are looking for though.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll take a closer look at it. Most automotive baby mirrors just don't have the right field of view for a motorhome.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've been in a few rigs that have those, each an owner add-on. Probably a sound idea if you have kids or undisciplined friends that travel with you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #5

Our Winnebago (also known to my wife and me as Winnie Jo) has one. Only problem is that the back of the coach is darker than the outside and I can't see much.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On a prior coach, I installed a nice convex mirror under the overhead TV. It was a good idea, but you really have to concentrate on looking in the mirror to really see what is going on. You might be able to identify a fire, but you won't see things like a chair falling over or a cabinet opening up, unless it's a huge mirror. Again, unless it's a huge mirror, you have to take your eyes off the road and really concentrate to figure out what's going on.

If you just want to see if a child is walking around, it's good for that.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have looked a boat mirrors use water skiing. Large convex review miror design.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #8

Interior Convex Mirror

Check with boating supply stores. Covex mirrors are often used to keep track of skiers/tubers
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:41 PM   #9

I also had the same type of concerns, as it is almost always just the wife and I in the MH. The when the wife would get up to check on our cat or get something to drink. It made me nervous that I could not see her if she fell or had any other problem. I found a convex mirror that attached to the sun visor. I can fold up the visor when I don't need it and pull it down and to see what is happening behind me in the coach. It reminds me of of the mirrors that school bus drivers have.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the inputs. I put up a 4 X 3 convex mirror and attached it to the "sound bar" below the tv. It will probably work well enough to see the isle behind me and keep track of our two small dogs. I can leave one of the 12v ceiling lights on to illuminate that area. We've ggad another great week on the Oregon coast and will head back home, tomorrow. Then it's time to winterize till next Spring. Happy travels....
Old 11-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #11

These are used on every school bus in the country. Do a search for school bus parts and you'll find lots of options with every conceivable mounting method.

Here's just one of many sources: https://midwestbusparts.com/index.ph...ex&cPath=5_153
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the link... Probably a bit too big for my use but they would work. I drove school buses, while in college, so I should have thought of this.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #13

They make them smaller as well. Check a few other bus supply sites and I'm sure you'll find one. We have one in our coach which is about 9" across and pivots just like the ones in the school buses. Works like a champ to allow the driver to see what's going on in the coach. Better than a convex mirror in my opinion.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Okay... I'll take a look....

Tags
interior