Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Intermittent ATC light

I started this in an ABS thread, I have an intermittent ATC light. Why on the ABS thread? Well, it is because the coach salesman and the walk-through tech both told me that ATC is "Automatic Traction Control". I asked if it was the switch to turn it off, and they said "No, it enables it. These Allison transmissions only drive one wheel, when you engage ATC, it locks the differential." Now, my hobby is rock crawling (big heavily modified Jeeps), so locking differentials are nothing new to me, and I figured it was a plausible explanation of ATC.

Now I hear it has something to do with fuel filters? Color me confused.

I have an ATC switch on the panel (picture below) and an ATC light on the dash which likes to turn on and off. See switch here at top-right of switches.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
page 332 of my manual says the ATC system is always active and is automatic.

The ATC system works in conjunction with the ABS ECU (Electronic Control Unit). The ECU monitors tone ring speed of the drive wheel in relation to the other wheels. If a speed differential occurs in the drive wheel, the ECU enters Automatic Traction Control mode.
During an ATC event, the ECU will automatically react to optimize traction and safety if the motorhome encounters a slippery road surface. Engine torque is normally reduced to limit drive wheel slip.
NOTE: The ATC system is always active.

ATC Switch:
Activating the ATC switch reduces ECU control over engine torque.
• Momentarily pressing the ATC switch allows the ECU to increase the amount of engine torque applied to the drive wheel in an ATC event. The amount of engine torque applied to the drive wheel will vary with the amount of drive wheel slip versus road speed. In an ATC event, the ECU remains active regardless of road speed or switch position. The indicator light flashes slowly when the ATC switch is activated.

Sounds like the switch is the defeat function and it otherwise operates automatically. And from the pic, I would say you have the switch enabled. Have you tried it the otherway ?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
It is a momentary switch. Pressing it does not make a light come on in the switch, but it is possible that the light is burned out.

I did some searching, and it appears that the fix may be simple. How do I know which wheel is the drive wheel? I would like to replace this sensor so that the ATC light will not be coming on while I'm cruising down the highway, and of course to restore proper function to the system.

If anyone has done this replacement, please chime in, I'd like some instructions on how to do this. I'm very mechanically inclined, I do all my repairs on my vehicles and do a lot of custom work on my offroad rigs, I just need some pointers on where the sensor is and how to R&R it.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
ATC Indicator Light

1) The ATC indicator operates when a vehicle is equipped with the optional Automatic Traction System.

2)Lights at key-ON and remains lit until the driver presses the brake pedal. (When operating as a "spin" indicator the light turns off after a 1.8 Sec
lamp check. See note below.)

3)Flashes slowly when the "mud-and-snow" mode is selected and then flashes more rapidly when the automatic traction control system operates.

4)Lights continuously to indicate that ATC is active but the "mud-and-snow" mode has not been activated.

5)Remains on if an engine data link failure occurs.

My coach has the Mud/Snow Optional Momentary Switch on the driver's dash and that operation is explained below.

Mud and snow switch (optional): when activated,this mode allows greater wheel spin (more torque). It is intended for adverse conditions, usually off-highway. Except for special cases, the switch is programmed for momentary operation. ATC reverts to normal operation when the switch is cycled a second time and whenever the system goes through a power up cycle.

A blocked fuel filter results in decreased torque out of the motor so the ATC ECU thinks that it is an ATC event so it flashes the indicator light.

NOTE: My light isn't flashing. It is coming on, staying on for several minutes or even an hour, then turning back off. Pushing the momentary switch on the panel has no effect.

The coach was last serviced in July, and has not been driven many miles since then. I'm not saying it's impossible for the fuel filters to be clogged, I know how that goes, but maybe it is unlikely.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

My HR did the same thing on the ATC light. It was the fuel filters needing changed. I know it sounds strange but its true. If your sure your filters are good then have the ATC system checked out.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltax View Post
My HR did the same thing on the ATC light. It was the fuel filters needing changed. I know it sounds strange but its true. If your sure your filters are good then have the ATC system checked out.
No way to know really. I know they are only about 7 months old, but anything is possible. I've had bad fuel block a filter in my Dodge/Cummins before. I guess I'll give it a shot. I have only had this coach a few months, so I don't know what happened to it between July and November.

Tags
light