Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

Unhappy intermittent slide problem

I have an 08 Holiday Rambler Arista and my bedroom slide is working intermittenly. I push the button and it moves a bit then stops 2 or three times before reaching the limit. Sometimes it goes out or in without a problem. Sometimes it won't move at all. Some times it moves then stops, if you wait ten seconds and try it moves again then stops. I'm baffled.
It has two rods running from a center mounted electric motor. the rods have gears on the ends that drive a rack on each side. of the bed frame. I've disconected the rods and the motor runs fine.
I have no operator manual for the slides. I 've looked everywhere and can't find any control box or panel for the slides.
The only thing I can think to do is crawl under the RV and try to follow the wiring to potentialy find a damaged wire. I've checked the wiring near the the switch and the motor and all is good. The wiring then goes through the floor and unde the RV.

Any helpfull comments would be appreciated.
Scott hadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Commercial Member

check the switch. its probably making intermittent contact. a good place to start anyway
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine does the same thing. I believe it has a self re-setting breaker, which is probably getting a bit weak.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #4

The same thing happened to us on our first time out, went to bring in slide nothing not a good feeling.Our problem was corosion on solinoid conection on hydraulic pump cleaned sprayed with battery terminal spray sealer.that was 3 years ago sofar so good.

Good luck
Rick
rick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Thanks, but this is an electric slide,not hydraulic.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Obvious first...How are your batteries? Does this happen when plugged into shore power?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #7

Found out this particular slide does not have a control panel. Just a switch and a auto resetting fuse built in for safety,I guess. Found the wiring terminates near the battery. In my RV some of this critical wiring is in an open area under the coach. It's exposed to the elements.Very poor design,but being an entry level class A I guess they have to save some cost somewhere. All the conections are very rusty and corroded. Wiggled some wires and the slide started working. Unfortunatly after a short drive it quit again. Another wiggle and it worked. I plan to unhook and clean all these conections when I have more time as I'm sure other systems in my RV are connected there and may short out in the future. I also plan to resplace the 30amp auto fuses as the nuts are siezed and I will probably damage them when disconnecting the wires. Building an enclosure to protect this area from road spray is also on the list. Ahhh! The joys of RV ownership. It never ends. I just love RVing so much I will continue to put up with these incoveiniances.

Untill next time(I'm sure it's coming soon). Go RVing!!!

Tags
slide