Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

Intermittent starting issue 99 Fleetwood

99 Fleetwood pace arrow vision 34ft.
Hello, there seems to be an issue with the starter or solenoid, maybe the relay.
Sometimes it starts right up with no foot on the brake which should be the norm I would think.
But often it wont start and applying and playing with the brake pressure seems to make it work, or it has nothing to do with brake and is just starter issue, I dont know.

Im able to get it running pretty consistently by playing with it but would like to get this figured out before road tripping. I shouldn't need to apply bake before starting right? If it starts sometimes fine without it applied?

Thanks for advice
Timshel80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would check all the main battery connections and connections to the starter.

I chased a starting problem with my Suburban for several months, thought it was the starter so took it off an had it tested, said it was fine. Put it back on and it started right up. ~6 months later the same thing, I put a battery charger on it, no good. Tried to jump it off with my jeep, which has a much bigger engine/battery but it didn't help. Took the battery out and had it tested, they said it was bad so I replaced but didn't fix the problem, so I pulled the starter again to have it tested and they said it was good again but when I did this I found that the "+" battery bolt would not tighten >>>THAT was it. Got a new bolt and made sure the connection was tight and it's started ever since. I think it was a combination of loose connection and corrosion.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #3

I second what jacwjames said as this same thing happened to me. The positive terminal was not tight enough. Btw we have the same motor home.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:39 AM   #4

I am not familiar with your particular coach, but I have had several vehicles with automatic transmissions that will not crank unless my foot is on the brake and the transmission is either in park or neutral. In fact, my present car is that way. Has it started without a foot on the brake in the past? What chassis is it?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #5

This is the ford Triton and yes it starts sometimes without the brake. I just bought the coach recently and still learning where everything is at. Can the guy with the same motorhome tell me abouts where starter is located? Sounds like I need to check that connection.
Thanks for replies
Timshel80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood